Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 09:13   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Is this a sound approach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
My Friend, ixs-nay on the Sea Ray. My marina neighbor is a professional in the business. Let me tell you something no one will tell you...the big gas engines on the Sea Ray...guess what? The starboard engine is the exact same set up as the port engine. What does that mean? It means the port engine fuel pump and oil filter are on the narrow catwalk between the two engines. Where they should be for maintenance access. Guess where the starboard engines fuel pump and oil filter are? Yup, can't get to them unless you are a gymnast. A very small gymnast is even better.

Second thing....many people are telling it to you about gas consumption. Let me tell you even more boldly. It will be rape without lubrication. I am telling you straight up...and I hope you are hearing me...the gas bill will eat you alive.

The reason the Sea Rays are a bargain buy? Because people love the interior of these boats ...and I acknowledge they are appealing...but without any idea about what they are buying. From Napa marina to San Francisco is a three hours by boat. His Sea Ray is in the mid forty foot range. He let his son borrow it. So, when the son got back out came the credit card for fuel. That cost him over 400 dollars in fuel. Freaking surreal. This is why the boats are being so heavily discounted plus the engineering for the motors is straight up stupid. How much work for engineering to get everything that needs to be maintained in the accessible positions?

Think about a decent sailboat or a trawler. Forget planning hulls..
Accessibility would probably require mirror twins. You know that won't happen. His choice of a Sea Ray would probably be good for someone wanting the speed with deep pockets for fuel and hiring an elf to get to the filters.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:55   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
My Friend, ixs-nay on the Sea Ray. My marina neighbor is a professional in the business. Let me tell you something no one will tell you...the big gas engines on the Sea Ray...guess what? The starboard engine is the exact same set up as the port engine. What does that mean? It means the port engine fuel pump and oil filter are on the narrow catwalk between the two engines. Where they should be for maintenance access. Guess where the starboard engines fuel pump and oil filter are? Yup, can't get to them unless you are a gymnast. A very small gymnast is even better.

Second thing....many people are telling it to you about gas consumption. Let me tell you even more boldly. It will be rape without lubrication. I am telling you straight up...and I hope you are hearing me...the gas bill will eat you alive.

The reason the Sea Rays are a bargain buy? Because people love the interior of these boats ...and I acknowledge they are appealing...but without any idea about what they are buying. From Napa marina to San Francisco is a three hours by boat. His Sea Ray is in the mid forty foot range. He let his son borrow it. So, when the son got back out came the credit card for fuel. That cost him over 400 dollars in fuel. Freaking surreal. This is why the boats are being so heavily discounted plus the engineering for the motors is straight up stupid. How much work for engineering to get everything that needs to be maintained in the accessible positions?

Think about a decent sailboat or a trawler. Forget planning hulls..
This has nothing to do with SeaRay. All those smaller boats will be the same problem as they are made to trailer and limited to 8.5 beam. Nothing unusual about accessibility, all us sailors live with that problem. SeaRays are more expensive than many others, less than some.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 05:49   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sand.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 20:25   #34

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler

We did this. We lived in the Alaska Bush for 20 years, so we were well familiar with small houses and never really worried about the loss of space. We also just "moved" onto the boat, sailed it from Anacortes, WA to Juneau AK and have lived on it ever since. We like cruising, we like it when we are in port. We switch easily from land activities (running, soccer, swimming) to sea activities (fishing, exploring, kayaking). We do not have a huge retirement income, nor a large bank of cash. We live in a 42' North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler. The diesel engine and slow travel are perfect for us and fit our budget. I don't think we could afford to pay for speed. We do have a generator and a transformer aboard (which we use a lot and love) and we have a washer/dryer aboard. This summer we put in a freezer (because of the fishing). Life is good. Life is affordable. The most difficult thing we faced was getting rid of a 5'x7'x6' storage locker with "precious memories" stuffed into it. Ultimately we kept the camping gear, gave the art and the photos to the children, found room on board for the zsuuper (fish processing), the sewing machine, the banjo and a keyboard. This was only possible because we do not "collect" clothes, shoes, etc --- use it or lose it. For us. it's a little bit of a move "up" in comfort from a two bedroom three room "house" in -40F winters. We have a large family and lots of visits from children, their spouses, and grandchildren.

We believe in the theory that "if you think you'll like it you probably will like it" --- a theory that has worked sending children off to college, sending ourselves off to a cold remote area to live, and buying a boat to live on.

There is so much to learn living on a boat. Before this home, we had water ski boats, john boats for fishing, and had kayaked throughout Southeast Alaska extensively for weeks at a time. Everything you know about operating a small boat is a transferable skill. We took a marine diesel engine class from the University of Alaska and everything else we learned by reading books. The plumbing is simple and easily resolved by following the advice of an expert like Peggy. The electricity is something we should all know by our age, but never had time to learn. Taking a 100 Ton class or a six pack class is an option that will reinforce your confidence in yourself, but nothing teaches like experience.

Good luck and have fun. We can say it --- we have fun everyday. The area you live in sounds just perfect for your experiment. Be flexible. So what if you decide to do something else? Isn't that what life is .... change?
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:04   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Crews View Post
We did this. We lived in the Alaska Bush for 20 years, so we were well familiar with small houses and never really worried about the loss of space. We also just "moved" onto the boat, sailed it from Anacortes, WA to Juneau AK and have lived on it ever since. We like cruising, we like it when we are in port. We switch easily from land activities (running, soccer, swimming) to sea activities (fishing, exploring, kayaking). We do not have a huge retirement income, nor a large bank of cash. We live in a 42' North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler. The diesel engine and slow travel are perfect for us and fit our budget. I don't think we could afford to pay for speed. We do have a generator and a transformer aboard (which we use a lot and love) and we have a washer/dryer aboard. This summer we put in a freezer (because of the fishing). Life is good. Life is affordable. The most difficult thing we faced was getting rid of a 5'x7'x6' storage locker with "precious memories" stuffed into it. Ultimately we kept the camping gear, gave the art and the photos to the children, found room on board for the zsuuper (fish processing), the sewing machine, the banjo and a keyboard. This was only possible because we do not "collect" clothes, shoes, etc --- use it or lose it. For us. it's a little bit of a move "up" in comfort from a two bedroom three room "house" in -40F winters. We have a large family and lots of visits from children, their spouses, and grandchildren.

We believe in the theory that "if you think you'll like it you probably will like it" --- a theory that has worked sending children off to college, sending ourselves off to a cold remote area to live, and buying a boat to live on.

There is so much to learn living on a boat. Before this home, we had water ski boats, john boats for fishing, and had kayaked throughout Southeast Alaska extensively for weeks at a time. Everything you know about operating a small boat is a transferable skill. We took a marine diesel engine class from the University of Alaska and everything else we learned by reading books. The plumbing is simple and easily resolved by following the advice of an expert like Peggy. The electricity is something we should all know by our age, but never had time to learn. Taking a 100 Ton class or a six pack class is an option that will reinforce your confidence in yourself, but nothing teaches like experience.

Good luck and have fun. We can say it --- we have fun everyday. The area you live in sounds just perfect for your experiment. Be flexible. So what if you decide to do something else? Isn't that what life is .... change?
Grats on finding what sounds like a perfect niche in life.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:32   #36

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You approach seems sound to me. Not sure I would rent out your home. There are a lot of pitfalls in being an absentee landlord. At minimum consult with a local real estate management firm. You might be better off leaving it vacant for a year or two until your sure about living aboard.
In picking a boat diesel over gas for sure. Age is far less important than condition. Because engines are such an important part of a boat's value getting an expert engine survey in addition to a general survey is wise. Also, because fuel will be a major operating cost fuel economy should be a major consideration.
Financing the boat will probably depend more on your credit than the value of the boat and the rate will reflect that.. Most banks dislike used boat loans, they price them more like consumer loans than mortgages. Good luck as you implement your plan.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We had the luxury of being able to work part time for 3 years before retirement. We would have a 2 day weekend, work 3 days, have 6 days off, work 3, repeat. On those 6 off days we lived in the boat in a marine, all year round. Right down to 1°F. We learned a lot about ourselves and the boat and gained confidence that we could do it.

Not to take from all the excellent advice above, the personal style issues can be killer. How are your knees? Can you deal with the ups and downs? Some folks need a single level? Small kitchen with limited appliances? Tiny fridge freezer?

Life style issues count.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:32   #38

Boat: Fourwinns

Thanks for the response, I agree that we should discuss with a management firm.
Fitzbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:37   #39

Boat: Fourwinns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We had the luxury of being able to work part time for 3 years before retirement. We would have a 2 day weekend, work 3 days, have 6 days off, work 3, repeat. On those 6 off days we lived in the boat in a marine, all year round. Right down to 1°F. We learned a lot about ourselves and the boat and gained confidence that we could do it.

Not to take from all the excellent advice above, the personal style issues can be killer. How are your knees? Can you deal with the ups and downs? Some folks need a single level? Small kitchen with limited appliances? Tiny fridge freezer?

Life style issues count.
Yep, we currently have a truck camper (RV) that we uss for traveling when time permits. Close quarters indeed! We are currently in our late 50’s but are definitly looking at potential limiting factors as we grow older and medical issues arrise. Thanks
Fitzbev is offline   Reply With Quote