Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 10:09   #1

Is a chart-table necessary?

I'm specifically thinking about liveaboard catamarans here. I can see how on a monohull or chartered boat you might want a dedicated space to set up your laptop if nothing else.

Assuming I had a nice salon table to work on my laptop or iPad at, and that even if I carried paper charts that's probably where I'd be looking at them, is there any advantage to having a dedicated chart table in your opinion?

Am I'm missing something completely obvious to seasoned sailors and liveaboards?
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 10:13   #2

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Re: Is a chart-table necessary?

No but it is nice to have, but any desk type space is a plus.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Thanks. That makes sense. Still learning!
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:07   #4

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

necessary? no, but it certainly is nice to have.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post

yes^^^

Why?

'Cuz cluttering up the main table with "office stuff" gets tiresome to the other family member(s).

Unless you're the person who re-stitches the sails, would you like the sewing machine out in view all the time in the prime location?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

No, if I really want to be able to flip through my charts I need to take them off the nav table and move them to the salon table
Old 01-11-2018, 08:28   #7

I most often used the salon table anyway. I used the chart tables more for the computer and storage of nav tools.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:20   #8

Boat: Saltram 31

After 20,000 plus nm., mainly blue water. I concluded the chart table was mainly for people to dump junk on.
Usually look at charts folded on my lap or open on the saloon table.
Chart table is like an appendix, serves no current need but still there for tradition !!
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:39   #9

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I have found a chart table very useful for a laptop station and for an area to install some instrument readouts. Also keep small tools and navigation instruments in the dedicated drawers of the small desk.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:06   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 25D, 25 feet

I use the fold up settee table in my Balboa 21 for reading my charts. Works for me.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain
Trailer Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:26   #11

Boat: Boatless

We had a chart table facing forward on our 50’ cat witn a nice comfy chair and all instruments including autopilot control head.

Particularly appreciated in inclement weather.

Spent many happy hours there. Highly recommend ;-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoot View Post
I'm specifically thinking about liveaboard catamarans here. I can see how on a monohull or chartered boat you might want a dedicated space to set up your laptop if nothing else.

Assuming I had a nice salon table to work on my laptop or iPad at, and that even if I carried paper charts that's probably where I'd be looking at them, is there any advantage to having a dedicated chart table in your opinion?

Am I'm missing something completely obvious to seasoned sailors and liveaboards?
You're not missing a thing. Most of what they call chart tables on recreational boats are to small to hold a chart. A salon table is more practical and would save unutilized space. You might want to dedicate a storage area for nav. gear such that you don't need to hunt through the Cambell's soup.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31   #13

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

If I had the space on my boat, I'd have my mini-lathe, MIG welder, table saw, a bigger wine cellar, more counter space around the stove, and a bigger refrigerator to fit more beer. As most boaters - we are limited in space though it's sorta fun storing stuff in really weirdly shaped spaces. It's even more fun when I can find something I stored months before, or a long gone girlfriend has moved.
My chart table is totally useless and is covered in crap I haven't yet figured out how to fit anywhere else.
Waste of space.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:51   #14
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I'm a proponent of having paper charts as a backup to electronic navigation and for situational awareness purposes, but a dedicated chart-table will consume a lot of precious space to accommodate the only-occasional use of paper charts. It may be due to my own acclimation to having very little space as a pilot (if it won't fit in your lap you can't use it), but I have a piece of smooth wood sheet that I store under a cushion for plotting on a paper chart.

That "portable chart-table" can also be brought up to the cockpit when it's convenient, and referring to the chart from the cockpit helps in relating charted objects to visual observations. I still take bearing sights with a hand-bearing compass (or compass in my binoculars), and it's a hassle to write down the bearings and then have to carry them down to the cabin for plotting. I use spring-loaded clips to hold the chart in place in a windy cockpit, and a shackle and lanyard to clip the entire board to secure it from being blown overboard. A strip of wood at the bottom of the wooden sheet keeps my pencils from rolling away. Primitive but cheap, light, and effective.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
If I had the space on my boat, I'd have my mini-lathe, MIG welder, table saw, a bigger wine cellar, more counter space around the stove, and a bigger refrigerator to fit more beer. As most boaters - we are limited in space though it's sorta fun storing stuff in really weirdly shaped spaces. It's even more fun when I can find something I stored months before, or a long gone girlfriend has moved.
My chart table is totally useless and is covered in crap I haven't yet figured out how to fit anywhere else.
Waste of space.
I loved the humor! Along with the sound advise.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote