Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 18:30   #1

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Irwin 52

Hello, I pose a question here because I firmly believe you can be too close to the issue to make a unbias opinion. I have been planning on moving to a liveaboard for many years now, looked at dozens of boats, and found what i believe is the ideal boat for me. The Irwin 52. Yes, I have read everything i can find, looked at the irwin site, even talked to Gene Gammon (guru of Irwins) and I am within 3 months of putting my money where my mouth is. The question I ask is there any real reason that I should avoid the 52? Any current owners out there care to comment?
Thanks in advance...

Stan
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 19:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Did you see this? Sailing Magazine
Old 11-04-2007, 20:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My boat started out to be a 52 centercockpit but was customized into a aftcockpit 61'. I have never been on a production 52 but if they are anything like mine it will be a great boat. Our's sails like a dream and is very comfortable. I would buy it again if I could do it over.
Old 06-08-2007, 21:29   #4

Ted designed great vessels and some times saved money below decks, but when it comes to sailing ya gotta love it.
lastconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
There's lots of information on the
Irwin Yachts website ~ Gene Gammon (Gene Gammon & Associates, Inc.)
http://www.irwinyachts.com/entry.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 07:26   #6

Boat: islandpacket
As a just retired firefighter I would go smaller, unless you can really afford it. every foot cost more. With my 31, I cant beleave it. I finely ran into a retired cop that has a large slip behind his house and that saves me a bunch. The refregeration and new chart plotter will have to wait. Fairfax County Va, IAFF 2068
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 08:11   #7

I have also thought a good bit about an Irwin 52'. My wife and two kids and I plan to live aboard and cruise extensively for 4-6 years and we want a boat large enough to be a comfortable home but we are also on a budget.

The 52 is clearly a lot of boat for the money and from all the research I did they seem to be good sailer's and reasonable well built boats. But I have pretty much decided to go in a different direction because while I think the 52 would be perfect for coastal cruising or Island hopping we intend to do more blue water passages and I am not convinced the Irwin would be a great choice for that, at least not without extensive upgrades to chain plates, rigging and such. Then again, thats just my opinion based on 2nd hand research and not first hand experience so YMMV.

If it were just me and the wife going I would certainly go with a much smaller boat!

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 09:23   #8

Boat: B24
Stan -- Broad-beamed Irwins make nice liveaboards… I lived on a 42 (used -- formerly in charter & ten year old when I got it) for some years and used to have sporadic bouts of envy regarding the cabin space of the 52… At least where sailing qualities are concerned, it is hard to fault a big 42/43/52 Irwin – other than big sails and big work on occasion; mine was ketch rigged, but no roller furling on mine and she seemed a tad under-winched… Never had mine offshore but did get the deck in the water on a pseudo-broach with an inexperienced helmsman; momentary loss of rudder, but let the sheets run and she popped back up quite nicely as I recall… She was a like a freight train on a broad reach, would haul down some of the racier boats and threw an impressive stern wave when the wind was just right… going to windward wasn’t her best game however, mine was the centerboard version…

Below decks was another matter and almost every system except for the diesel (nice little Perkins) got replaced at one time or another… not a major issue for a mildly handy liveaboard because you’re always there, and they didn’t all go at once, but the matter of complete hull liner was a real challenge (a pain, plus other choice expletives..) especially where the electrical stuff was concerned – I used to envy the machinery space of a neighbor’s OI 42… Never liked the general lack of handholds below or the idea of all that relatively thin cabin Plexiglas -- managed to pop a stay on the mizzen, which was disconcerting, but was probably due to not catching corrosion soon enough…

All in all a pretty good boat for a couple living aboard, but I found the size to be larger than I liked as my SO at the time was a non-sailor with little inclination to learn as I eventually discovered… I’m convinced the maintenance of even the most basically equipped sailboat goes up at the cube of the increase in displacement and shudder to think what it must be like on the more contemporary vessels with their plethora of techno-gizmos… but I digress; Irwin good boat – when I lived aboard I had the same thoughts about chainplates -- and rigging that I might look at real hard before prolonged voyaging – nonetheless, many Irwins have crossed the big-water and I haven’t, so what do I know…
Old 11-01-2008, 17:21   #9

Boat: Irwin 52 & Catana 411
I have a '76 Irwin 52. She handles like a dream and sails smartly. Rig jack lines below in very heavy weather and I love having a bowthruster. You won't find a more liveable ketch for the price.
WeBeGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 18:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Has anyone else noticed how few Irwin 52's are for sale now? And the prices seem to have jumped a lot!
Old 11-01-2008, 19:32   #11

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
just a update, yup did it and bought a 52, and moved on full time jan 1. Yes, there are a. few issues but i am aboard and doing it.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 19:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to the club!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:34   #13

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Pictures Required!!

Gotta show us the boat or else it didn't happen....
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21   #14

Boat: Irwin 52 & Catana 411
Congrats, Post pics. I'm a Retired Fireman and I do my own maintenance. None of the people I know up here cruising in 50'+ sailboats are rich. Hmmmm, maybe that' s why....lol. Enjoy the space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IndianCove (Small).jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2452  
WeBeGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 13:42   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Webegone, Where did you buy your beautiful boat? I remember seeing it on yachtworld but I don't remember where it was.

Tags
Irwin