Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 18:36   #31

Boat: O'Day 28
Talking Re: Impossible for Military ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and thanks for your service!

For Tgzzzz: In the military you are 24/7 even in the nice places and more often than not, in my case, at sea aboard Navy ships or in country Vietnam.

This man deserves a bit of nicety and respect.

kind regards,
SkiprJohn and RV Daring Game: Guys, once again we're victims of the fact that humor doesn't always come across in print as intended, and all readers bring their own mindset at any time to the forum. Fortunately SeaAir recognized my dumbass post for the friendly fun it was meant to be. Not so obviously, I guess, I was having fun with Destin because as Don pointed out, there is an AFB in Minot, ND, and many other non-paradisical spots. I'm a military guy too and my master chief dad died in the CG. I tried to have "bring all the troops home now" in my signature but the mods quashed it. As thread drifts go, this isn't bad, eh?

SeaAir: I think you have a great plan, and your money will be in something fun that you can use. Just look at the cost as money that could have been easily lost on a house. I think you should get the Searay, particularly if it is trailerable to storage when you head off to the sandboxes. Thanks.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 20:52   #32

Re: Impossible for Military ?

Just so we're clear... This is a stupid idea - but a good stupid idea

You need to have someone you trust check the boat while you're gone. Think "old retired guy with nothing better to do". You'll find them hanging around every marina. He'd probably do it for free but offer him $100 a month to check once a week (he'll probably do it more). He can arrange for it to be hauled if a hurricane approaches.

I'd get an old fiberglass sailboat even if you are never going to sail. That's because 20 year old sailboats really hold their value. You've got a fighting chance of selling for more than you paid since prices are low right now because of the economy. Powerboats (except for a few classics) just keep depreciating. This is especially true of boats like Sea Rays where there are many more old Sea Rays than people who want to own old Sea Rays. And unless you are an experienced mechanic, sailboat engines are easier to work on yourself. Who knows - you might take up sailing

Do use a dehumidifier while you're gone and an air conditioner when you're aboard or the boat will stink from mildew. You'll be miserable and no girl will ever stay the night.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 19:58   #33

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Tgzzzz,
Don't mind me. I'm old and crotchity and take offense concerning denigrating military service very easily. Retired Command Master Chief here.
kind regards,
Old 18-07-2011, 20:23   #34

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

SeaAir,
The O'Club's number is 850-651-1010. You might find some helpful friendlies there.
kind regards,
Old 18-07-2011, 21:24   #35

Thanks for the tips CarlF, especially about the dehumidifier. Haha.

With everyone's helpful advice, I've found out that Eglin AFB has a marina and a place to store my boat when I'm gone.

I'll call the O'Club as well SkiprJohn. Thanks.
SeaAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 04:10   #36

Boat: Bruno and Stillman 42' Workboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
SkiprJohn and RV Daring Game: Guys, once again we're victims of the fact that humor doesn't always come across in print as intended, and all readers bring their own mindset at any time to the forum. Fortunately SeaAir recognized my dumbass post for the friendly fun it was meant to be. Not so obviously, I guess, I was having fun with Destin because as Don pointed out, there is an AFB in Minot, ND, and many other non-paradisical spots. I'm a military guy too and my master chief dad died in the CG. I tried to have "bring all the troops home now" in my signature but the mods quashed it. As thread drifts go, this isn't bad, eh?

SeaAir: I think you have a great plan, and your money will be in something fun that you can use. Just look at the cost as money that could have been easily lost on a house. I think you should get the Searay, particularly if it is trailerable to storage when you head off to the sandboxes. Thanks.
Understood...and sorry, too sensitive about my mil brethren. Thanks for your service and for your dad's sacrifice.
17' Boston Whaler Montauk
"only those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly'
RV Daring Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 04:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by free rain View Post
After a 15month deployment my wife asked me what I wanted to do that first day home. I had no desire to head back to her house. ALL I wanted was to go sit in the cockpit and watch the sunset with a rum and coke!!! She had it all setup with ice, coke, rum, and some finger foods!! My buddy and I set in the cockpit and enjoyed that first rum and coke...My wife ducked down bellow as soon as it started to rain...however we enjoyed having rain with no dirt in it so we just sat out and enjoyed the shower...(15 months in the sand brings a totally new perspective)
I totally agree there is no place like a boat to decompress after a stressful deployment
Old 19-07-2011, 04:17   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAir View Post
Thanks everyone! This is very helpful information.

As far as a PCS to Minot...thank God that's not in my future . However, my three bases for my airframe are in Florida, Japan, or England. My goal is to switch to another Special Ops airframe that is stationed right next door at Hurlbert Field. My experience is that this is pretty feasible. But...it's the military so you never really know. Ultimately I guess I'd sell it or give it to my parents in Cali for a while.
If you get over to 20th SOS at Hurlburt, say hello to J.T., a well known PaveLow driver who was an 0-3 back in 2003 but is probably 0-5 or higher by now. But I think he was going to retire when they switched to Ospreys (if they ever did - hope not). He is definitely dialed in on the local boat scene.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:50   #39

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I'm up in Canada and don't know squat about the conditions in FLA for living aboard. But one thing I do know is that everything I've read about the housing market in FLA screams at me DON'T BUY! Values are still dropping, and the way they do foreclosures in FLA is criminal. (Note Im not saying you may end up there but just in case)

I'd say find a good marina that allows liveaboards, treat their people with respect and get on their good side, buy a decent older cruiser or sailboat and then make friends with the other liveaboards. It may be worth giving one of them limited power of attorney to allow them to deal with the boat when you are away. This way you will have both liveaboards and the marina people looking out for you on deployments.

Whats the point in spending money on a place on shore if your heart is into living aboard. Any problems that arise can be handled. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on this forum are in the area you are moving to. I'm sure a shout for help would be answered pdq.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 15:19   #40

Boat: Building 30' Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAir View Post
Hey folks,

I fly for the USAF and I'm going to be stationed in Destin, FL for at least three years. I'm stoked and can't wait! It's just a few months away now.

I'm able to buy a home but housing prices are expected to drop at least another 10% in this area over the next three years. So, I started looking at other options on where to live.

I used to work on a cruise ship for four years and LOVED IT! I miss ship life and I feel a live-aboard would be another great three years of my life to look back on with fond memories. It's certainly no investment but then again, neither would the house and I'd enjoy the live-aboard a thousand times more.

But making this happen is not an easy challenge. Here's what you need to know:

Experience of ownership = none.

Goals:

Buy a 30'-40' Cruiser or Motor Yacht for 30K - 65K (including taxes, fees, etc).

I have to (HAVE TO) dock it around Destin, Niceville, or in the near area as I have to drive to Eglin AFB everyday.

Monthly budget = about $1,500 +/- $150 (after loan payment, maintenance, insurance, docking fees, etc.)

Extra Info/Questions:

I have an FJ cruiser with 5,000 lbs of towing capability (not enough for a boat this size). What do I do about moving it out of water if needed? Do I need to?

I'll be deployed or gone for misc. training 230 days out of the year. Is there a problem leaving my boat unattended for months at a time? (longest deployment will be 4 to 6 months).

I'd love a Sea Ray 370 Sundancer (or similar). At least this boat seems to have everything I need/want. Any chronic problems with this boat? Recalls, etc.?

The big question... How feasible are my goals? Can this happen for a single guy in the military?

Thanks for your feedback...even if you say, "Don't be dumb, buy the house." I'll probably ignore it anyway

-Cheers
I live in the area myself. Eglin does have a small marina. Check out Eglins web site to learn more about it. I am no longer in the Military (did not retire) so I can no longer get on base with out a little help from my extended Fam. While property value has dropped here, and may drop more in Destin, I am thinking that it is fairly stable at this point in Crestview and Niceville. We have a Army Special Op unit moving into a newly built base. Willing to do some checking on things if you want the help. Just contact me.

"All things are possible, once you overcome your fears."
Messman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 14:11   #41

Boat: Catalina 36

Fellas, Anything new on this topic? I'm headed to Eglin next summer and am seriously considering living aboard. (I want to, gotta convince the Mrs.....)

Thanks in advance.
OldBoatCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 04:02   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, OldBoatCruiser.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 04:20   #43

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

SeaAir- 23 yrs in USCG...lived aboard twice in my career for 2 tours. Now in my 3rd live aboard experience for long term.

Go back and reread Prerequisite's #19 post.

I strongly recommend against it because of your deployment schedule...if you only deployed 30-50 days a year,,,different story.

Boat suffer HUGE from not being around them and constant maintenance...even junkers.

WAYYYYY to much to cover on the net.....most don't have the liveaboard boating or the military experience to give a thorough answer.

PM me for my telephone # if you would like to discuss it further.

Good luck either way and be careful out there!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote