Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 06:10   #1

Boat: Morgan 416, 41ft.
Hurricane Plan

Can anyone shed some light on what insurance companies are looking for when they ask for a "Hurricane Plan"? Does anyone have an example of one they have submitted that the insurance company found acceptable?

It seems the plan would depend on several variables? Are they looking for you to cover all possible variables in that plan? I really just don't know where to start with this, but need to have something before we close on our boat in a couple weeks.
russpatterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 06:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Hurricane Plan

They literally want a written plan, just don’t write anything down that you won’t follow to the letter. Try to avoid painting yourself into a corner.
I would try to keep it generic, I think they primarily want you to do something to protect the boat, many it seems won’t do anything at all, except file an Insurence claim.

I’ve seen for example people won’t remove their dodger and Bimini, but will file the claim to have the rotten fabric replaced with new, same with an old Jib.

My Insurence hasn’t asked for a written plan. We are also allowed to stay in Fl. I assume that’s because we are Fl residents?
Also avoid the term live aboard, I know it sounds silly, but that’s a term that often causes problems. You don’t live aboard, however you do go on extended cruises.

On edit, if asked I would write down that I planned on removing all sails and canvas, doubling all lines on the boat and ensuring cockpit drain were clean, batteries fully charged and bilge pump checked for operation.
I wouldn’t put more than that down and see if they accept it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 06:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Many marinas have a plan you would be expected to follow if you store your boat. Our plan says we are out of the hurricane zone. Normally that is Trinidad for us but impossible this year. We are on the hard at Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua and insured with ANJO in Antigua. Mast up, sails and canvas off, jack stands welded together, tie downs, hired watcher.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 15:51   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
On edit, if asked I would write down that I planned on removing all sails and canvas, doubling all lines on the boat and ensuring cockpit drain were clean, batteries fully charged and bilge pump checked for operation.
I wouldn’t put more than that down and see if they accept it.
I would add the plan for the dinghy, if it is covered under your insurance. Also, perhaps something about following or exceeding all of the marina's requirements, as well.

Ann
Old 16-07-2020, 16:13   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Markel has a suggested written plan as do other underwriters. I suggest you check yours and consider it as minimum standard or they may not cover any loss.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 23:12   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

"Also avoid the term live aboard, I know it sounds silly, but that’s a term that often causes problems. You don’t live aboard, however you do go on extended cruises."

My policy is endorsed to allow living aboard but friends have mentioned this and I am curious as to why an insurance company would perceive higher risk with someone living aboard and on hand to deal with emergencies, prevent thefts etc.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 11:15   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Our insurance has a form they request filled out. It covers the info they want for our hurricane plan. Easy
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 03:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by russpatterson5 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on what insurance companies are looking for when they ask for a "Hurricane Plan"? Does anyone have an example of one they have submitted that the insurance company found acceptable?

It seems the plan would depend on several variables? Are they looking for you to cover all possible variables in that plan? I really just don't know where to start with this, but need to have something before we close on our boat in a couple weeks.
Typically pull the mast , haul the boat , then store in a steel cradle that is pinned into the earth

When in doubt ask your insurance company
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 05:31   #9

Boat: Pearson 424

My insurance company requires a detailed hurricane plan. They first require that I attempt to have the boat hauled. Hence the first step of my plan is upon imminent threat of a hurricane I will call nearest yard. Failing haul-out, they want licensed captain to move the boat to a safe anchorage. I am a licensed captain so I move my boat to a good anchorage and anchor it myself. Here’s an instance where having an oupv is a bonus for a recreational boater. I have a well planned out storm anchoring system that has brought me through 4 near miss hurricanes in the last 4 years, I wouldn’t trust deployment to some random hired captain.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 05:32   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

My insurance allows me to be in Florida, the Gulf, and the Bahamas during hurricane season and has never asked for a plan. If they did the first thing I would do is respond to them with "What kind of plan do YOU want?"

Tags
hurricane