Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 10:45   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: How to deal with not having a physical address while cruising

Yes, and mile markers or even "under a bridge" can work for legal purposes, in fact financially secure Nomads can even avail themselves of "legal residence" solutions designed for the homeless in compassionate jurisdictions, or a motel or campground can suffice.

Real ID type requirements will increasingly be imposed for passports, benefits, insurance, brokerages, money transfers etc.

IMO commercial solutions are less secure long term than F&F for **domicile** purposes.

The key is realizing **mail handling** is a completely separate issue.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by januszr View Post
Thank you all for this great/useful info.

Janusz
change your avatar, I don't like the one you are using!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:09   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Real ID type requirements will increasingly be imposed for passports, benefits, insurance, brokerages, money transfers etc.

I just renewed my passport two months ago. A PO box was fine. Really the Banks and financial institutions are really the only ones that really want a physical address. At least, that has been my experience. As I indicated in my first post there are ways around that.

As to flying, a Passport, which as of now does not require a physical address to renew, still gets you through TSA's checkpoints.

Again a RealID is a optional requirement. A passport works just as well and no you don't need a physical address to renew a passport.

Gee I've not had a physical address for nearly 15 years now. Yes many agency's do consider me homeless. Oddly not a problem for me. At least not yet.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:22   #34

aye aye captain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
change your avatar, I don't like the one you are using!
januszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 14:19   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
aye aye captain!
new one is awesome
Old 11-01-2019, 07:03   #36

Boat: Ocean Alexander CPMY 54

Check out this place Americas-Mailbox Home - mail forwarding - Americas-Mailbox It was started for full time RVers, but would work for anyone on the move be it nationally or otherwise.
thepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:31   #37

A CMRA (Commercial Mail Receiving Agent) works great. We use Texas Home Base. It gives you a physical address with an "Apt #." They handle everything: scanning, forwarding, even depositing checks. It's a family run business. Great service. We got our Texas Driver's license, opened a local bank account, and we were set. No state income taxes and we're registered to vote in Texas.
lubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:36   #38

I have used this company in Las Vegas, NV for over 10 years:
https://www.incparadise.net/nevada/v...il-forwarding/

IncParadise.net - Incorporation & Registered Agent
Office: 702-871-8678
Toll Free: 888-284-3821

No state income tax in Nevada.
Set up my Drivers License in Nevada with this address.
Only issue was it shows as a business address if you register to vote. They won't allow that anymore.
Cheers!
William
WilliamNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:50   #39

Quote:
I was wondering how cruisers deal with not having a "physical" mailing address. The bank and credit card company is telling me I have to have one and they will not accept a P.O. box. Social Security Administration (retiring soon) will probably want one as well. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Janusz
Try using one of the new fangled, virtual mail room type places. There are a bunch of them you can find online.

They will receive your mail, forward your mail, scan the envelope or package so you can see online, you can then tell them to discard or open and scan so you can see the contents online, then keep contents or discard, some will deposit checks for you.

I am a permanent resident of Guatemala and a USA citizen. I use an above and I use the address for the physical address for bank and credit cards, etc. I use the address on my drivers license. The box number I show as "unit 1234". I never have had a problem in 8 years.

I do not use for anything to try and claim I am legally a resident of the USA or resident of a US State. It would likely be accepted but is not legally correct. With bank and a credit card company or similar I don't think there is a legal ramification. It is just a bank policy. Worst case they would close the account.

I don't use for social security or on my tax return. I am not sure what is legal or not in terms of social security and a tax return.

For example for AmEx to provide rental car collision insurance you need to be a resident of the USA for it to be valid. Same thing for most travel insurance.

Whether it will depend on whether or not the radar of the bank or credit card company will pick up if the address you provided is actually somewhere some one can live. If they don't pick it up when you open the account it is unlikely they will ever pick it up.

I would never use a friends address or family members address instead of paying $25-$50 a month. The scanning, forwarding and check depositing of a virtual mail room is well worth it. The virtual mail room I use will receive USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon etc. and forward using USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc. Everything can be done online.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:39   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

What I did when cruising around the world was to know where my next port o' call was, and when I wrote to family and friends or in your case businesses who wanted your address, I would address it as ..."Post restante", John Brown, Post Office Melbourne, or whatever town you were headed for code, country.. That way folks can post you mail which will be put in a special box until you apply at that post office, and identify yourself...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:53   #41

Boat: Cal 33

I'm sure it's been mentioned. https://www.docksidemail.com/ does an amazing job. They scan your mail so you can view it online. They're in WA at the Shillshole Marina. Super nice people with a cruising background.
captainwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
Get a UPS address and use "Unit" before the box number. UPS presents their locations as a residence or business address. Have your SS checks automatically deposited using the same UPS address as your home address.

You can also use a marina address with your slip number as your mailing address.

UPS will forward your mail though.

+1
A cheap UPS box with a street address with a “unit” number cuts through issues with a P.O. box, though the virtual mailrooms have more services.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15   #43

The box service I used made my postal box look like a street address. It was their street address with my box number used as the suite number.
daveball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:51   #44
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Your outline give great examples exactly why F&F real home address is better for the legal domicile address, even if it is not (yet) necessary.

And that address has nothing to do with receiving any mail, you still use the letterbox service for your **mailing** address.

Those living at your residential address are not in any way disturbed, once you've got things set, little to no mail arrives there.

Of course the assumption is you aren't actually breaking laws, using this system for fraudulent purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Try using one of the new fangled, virtual mail room type places. There are a bunch of them you can find online.

They will receive your mail, forward your mail, scan the envelope or package so you can see online, you can then tell them to discard or open and scan so you can see the contents online, then keep contents or discard, some will deposit checks for you.

I am a permanent resident of Guatemala and a USA citizen. I use an above and I use the address for the physical address for bank and credit cards, etc. I use the address on my drivers license. The box number I show as "unit 1234". I never have had a problem in 8 years.

I do not use for anything to try and claim I am legally a resident of the USA or resident of a US State. It would likely be accepted but is not legally correct. With bank and a credit card company or similar I don't think there is a legal ramification. It is just a bank policy. Worst case they would close the account.

I don't use for social security or on my tax return. I am not sure what is legal or not in terms of social security and a tax return.

For example for AmEx to provide rental car collision insurance you need to be a resident of the USA for it to be valid. Same thing for most travel insurance.

Whether it will depend on whether or not the radar of the bank or credit card company will pick up if the address you provided is actually somewhere some one can live. If they don't pick it up when you open the account it is unlikely they will ever pick it up.

I would never use a friends address or family members address instead of paying $25-$50 a month. The scanning, forwarding and check depositing of a virtual mail room is well worth it. The virtual mail room I use will receive USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon etc. and forward using USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc. Everything can be done online.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 13:45   #45

Boat: Bayliner 2450 Sunbridge

A passport is "REAL ID" as you have to show proof that you are a citizen to get one. True it doesn't serve as proof of a specific residence for voting purposes. Normally utility bills or other things that show a street address work there.

I live in Washington State and Washington State had/has become a license mill where people actually flew in from other parts of the country, gave the license office the home address of a friend or relative to show a residence on the address, got their Washington license and flew back out back to Florida or elsewhere. Their idea that if illegal aliens who live/work here have a legit drivers license they will also get insurance has a tiny bit of merit but no actual proof that works exists.

Mail service: I have known Angela who along with a partner owns Dockside Solutions now Dockside mail https://www.docksidemail.com/ for 16 + years and consider her to be a close friend. She is straight arrow and has a good head for what she takes on no matter what it is. She started out working in a mail box place a few miles from where her office is now and saw the need and opportunity. They normally send you an email listing the mail you have received and will scan the mail you need scanned. They also know how to get parts delivered to cruisers just about anywhere in the world in a reasonable time frame.

Unless things change Washington is not an income tax state using sales and property tax instead. Currently you can get an Enhanced drivers license that serves as Real ID or you can get a regular drivers license or a state (ID only) card if you don't drive that does show your street address.

Receiving mail for two adult children here at the house I can see the issues with having a relative receive the mail fist hand. The person at the house never has an idea if what is in the envelope is important on not, you know that they received a bank statement and that envelope is from the insurance company and that one is from a credit card company and might be a bill but might be another add.

I don't cruise but am down to two bills that I don't pay online and my bill paying takes about 15 minutes of time a month. One of those I can pay on line and I could mail the rent check or take care of it simply enough. Most of us get to secure internet often enough to take care of bills that can be taken care of online and insurance can be set up to be paid directly so we don't have to remember.

Still one has to investigate the place where you claim residence for all the ins and outs. Taxes both personal and property including any add on taxes for having a "yacht" in the eyes of the city, county or state.
I'd check that angle If I was showing Texas as my residence as I don't know how they do now but years ago when I got married to a Texas gal and moved there I thought I had cut a fat hog registering my then new car for a very low fee. Then came the property tax from the county, the city and the school district that totaled more than the quite high Washington state license cost at the time. Texas boat owners would have to say what the taxes on a boat are like now.
rob d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising