I'm off the hook 8 8.42%
under 30 foot boat 7 7.37%
30-40 foot boat 35 36.84%
40-50 foot boat 22 23.16%
over 50 foot boat 7 7.37%
I'm not a liveaboard 12 12.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 14:37   #31

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Janice142 you are a sweetheart. Peace be with you. I've lived aboard this Columbia 9.6 31.5 ' now for 4 years on disability slowly adding the goodies to make my "island" . They say "no person is an island" But I say "You can make one!"
woodymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 23:24   #32

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: How much is your liveaboard rent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymr View Post
Janice142 you are a sweetheart. Peace be with you. I've lived aboard this Columbia 9.6 31.5 ' now for 4 years on disability slowly adding the goodies to make my "island" . They say "no person is an island" But I say "You can make one!"
Good plan woodymr... I'm still tweaking Seaweed and enjoying life afloat. And you're correct: we can make our home into a virtual island of independence. Good luck with yours.

See you along the waterways....
Old 12-11-2013, 00:04   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

the cost can vary a lot depending on where you are, how long you are going to stay, a bit on competition, the season, and a bit on negotiations. we have stayed in places from the east coast of the usa to colombia to trinidad to the azores to portugal to now tunisia -- the costs have been all over the place and we spend a bit of time on line trying to find out prices and amenities and then compare the locations on where we want to be and where we want the boat to be if we are going to be off for more than a couple of days --

we have paid anywhere from $250 a month all inclusive to almost $900 a month - we have 500watts of solar panels so we generally do not hook up to electricity unless we are going to stay a long time and then turn it on and off depending on our needs -
in the carib the prices were all over the place but generally we anchored out except in colombia and trinidad - in the med we have taken a couple of marinas so we could travel inland and the prices really varied and you must do your home work on where to stay - the price differences between la linea and gibraltar is huge and the actual distance is small and we really prefer la linea -- in tunisia we are spending a bit more because the research had port yasmine a bit nicer than others and it is closer to tunis and other sites --

next year should be interesting as we, God willing, will spend the winter in turkey and have yet to start the research --

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 12:50   #34
Marine Service Provider

In Freeport, FL on Lagrange Bayou the rates are $149.00 per month
kim2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 15:41   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim2035 View Post
In Freeport, FL on Lagrange Bayou the rates are $149.00 per month
This place looks very restrictive for draft and vertical clearance. What numbers to you need to be able to get into this place? It appears that you need a clearance less than 49'. What maximum draft can get you to the marina? Thanks for the info,- I never heard of this place!
Old 15-11-2013, 03:21   #36

Boat: Oceanis 473 and SB20
Chuckr,

Interested to hear you are in port Yasmin's for this winter, and are thinking of turkey next year.

We spent last 3 years in Leros Greece, and cruised turkey extensively. Only our opinion, but we found turkey in many places too developed, noisy, and limited anchorages full of gullets which show no regard for others anchoring nearby. The Greek islands, however, had more scope to find sheltered anchorages on the lee side of the islands and was generally less crowded, and quieter. Leros has two marinas, one primarily a lift out, next to the airport in the north of the island, with a few marina berths in the town of Lakki, and the other a large new marina and haul facility, also in Lakki. For our 47 footer, both offered a full year for just over 2000 euros, including one or two lift outs in the price. Exceptional value. Electric and wifi also free. Virtually no tourists, and very little English spoken by locals - but we prefer non tourist places. Suggest you check both out, as the location is convenient for cruising from there around the islands, as well as trips across to Turkey. Clearing in and out of Turkey is expensive, (unless compared with Montenegro and Croatia). Last season we did the horrendously expensive - but worth visiting, Croatia; and found a cheap overwintering location in Marina DI Ragusa (Sicily) for this winter. Half the cost of Gouvia in Corfu. We had planned to go to Tunisia for this winter, but decided against, having talked to people who had recently visited on holiday, suggesting safety could be an issue on trips inland. How do you find it? We are keen to visit on our way out of the Med. Final thought, the meltemi is strong in this area of the Aegean, and a lot of people go home in August, when it is most common. Makes heading north very difficult. 30 plus knots and a vicious short chop on the nose... Most do the northern Aegean early in the summer, head south down the islands rocket propelled, then back up late season.

Please let me know your thoughts and experience on Tunisia.

Regards, pk
pk999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 04:15   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

barra de navidad, mexico.....
the mjarina is marina la puerto de la navidad, isla navidad, in the barra de navidad lagoon. summer rates for 40 ft boat run right around 4400 pesos, with peso being 12.15 to one dollar , us.....
WINTER, or high season rates run for my boat 14000 pesos with peso at 12.15 to one usdollar.

anchoring is free, no charge. i use no marina in high season.

word about the marina...you must bring your own wifi device, as the hotel, which promises free wifi to the boats in marina does not provide such a service. you must hike your computer up into hotel lobby to achieve marina wifi in boat lol... and this has been so for 5 years. this problem will not improve. oh well.
also, mucho effluent in the marina. they bitch about oil runoff from roads as boat spill... and do not say word one about the poo brown water in the marina which is almost 50 percent of time, as it comes from town and from hotel. there is no water treatment plant that i am aware of.
you will need to hire someone to clean bottom and add zincs as it is also a hot (electrolysis) body of water. bring your own zincs, as mexizincs are double priced.
out in lagoon the water is not poo brown, and is much clearer. is loaded with tannin from mangroves.
on the plus side, it is easy to find items necessary for reasonable pricing here in this area for engine and boat repairs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 05:05   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk999 View Post
Chuckr,

We had planned to go to Tunisia for this winter, but decided against, having talked to people who had recently visited on holiday, suggesting safety could be an issue on trips inland. How do you find it? We are keen to visit on our way out of the Med.
Please let me know your thoughts and experience on Tunisia.

Regards, pk
PK -- we are having a great time here -- we are in port yasmine and it is probably the safest around - but we have been getting out and around a bit -- we have never been one to listen to a lot of the danger stuff (we traveled by mini bus and chicken bus all over guatamala when even the locals told us not to go to certain areas and we did)
we have been busy getting medical stuff done on the skin - our annual visit to the dermotologist to get a check up and stuff removed if necessary and it was - nothing serious and all ok by the way -

we had a great get together and dinner with some brits last night and a wine tasting last week and some of those folks have been here for years -- generally all is ok - they got a few bad guys around but we came from miami and it is probably safer here than miami or most american cities --
we ride the buses to hammamet that is 30 mins away and nabuel that is 1 hr away - another american boat here visited tunis recently and had a great time
we are headed south to the sahara next week
by the way this marina is one of the more secure - the pontoons have locked gates and hammamet is a major holiday spot and when we got here was crowded with tourist on holiday

we feel a lot safer here than we did in trinidad last hurricane season and go out in the city at night - would never have done that in trini --

thanks for the note on greece -- we were thinking of wintering over in turkey but said hey if we can why not greece - now they are trying to put a new tax on cruisers so we will see
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 06:21   #39

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Portland, Maine. 40ft. boat. No live aboard fee. Annual contract is roughly $6,500.
Slip includes parking, cable, water, bathrooms/showers, fuel discount, electric(4/15 -10/15). Electric is metered 10/15 - 4/15.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 07:55   #40

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield View Post
How much do you pay a month to live on your boat? Are you on a slip or off the hook? What part of the US are you located? How big is your boat?
Single slip in Portland Or is $250 mo for 36' w/ dock box. $125 liveaboard fee. Nice free showers and laundry. Electricity ~$10 mo. Free pump out. Warrenton Or was $900 yr w poor facilities.
Old 15-11-2013, 08:01   #41

Finally .. a thread worth subscribing to . keep it going please !!
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 18:33   #42

Boat: 37 Gulfstar
Small marina located near all the nightlife in Annapolis. $450/mo + metered electric about $85/mo if cautious with heat and a/c. Another $80/mo for cable with HBO and high-speed Internet. No laundry; must go to laundromat. One very simple bathroom with head and shower, about 15 min of hot water in wintertime, so have also used nearby fancy gym for long, hot shower luxury with towel service and steam room. There are slightly less expensive options and many more expensive ones in the area.
Old 18-11-2013, 16:38   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I see Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon listed above as places with low expense. I'm not surprised! They would have to pay me to be at that latitude year 'round! ....but then I was raised as a "pansy" in Florida an not capable of surviving in such harsh conditions.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:38   #44

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I see Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon listed above as places with low expense. I'm not surprised! They would have to pay me to be at that latitude year 'round! ....but then I was raised as a "pansy" in Florida an not capable of surviving in such harsh conditions.
LOL. I feel the same way about Florida!
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 21:48   #45

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Single slip in Portland Or is $250 mo for 36' w/ dock box. $125 liveaboard fee. Nice free showers and laundry. Electricity ~$10 mo. Free pump out. Warrenton Or was $900 yr w poor facilities.
Forgot to mention free internet and pump out... assume everyone gets free fresh water(?)

Tags
liveaboard