I'm off the hook 8 8.42%
under 30 foot boat 7 7.37%
30-40 foot boat 35 36.84%
40-50 foot boat 22 23.16%
over 50 foot boat 7 7.37%
I'm not a liveaboard 12 12.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 04:53   #16

Boat: Gemini 105 (Someday)
Send a message via MSN to JParris Send a message via Skype™ to JParris
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
I just moved my boat to everett.wa.......been working on it for 6 month to get it ready for sailing down to mexico....I pay 200.00 plus 50.00 for liveaboard fee....I was paying 212.00 for living on the hard....which is cheap or not...always count on expensives...so you can't win....might same some money here and there....oh well...live is what it is... trying to live the dream
Nice! That's MUCH better then our mortgage payment! The wife and I are anxious to get on the boat. We are so looking forward to saving money, traveling and seeing the world. I have lots of questions and want to do a lot of research before we get going.
It's going to be us, the dog and two birds. From the news, I feel like I should carry a weapon on board the boat when we start traveling abroad. I'm curious about how to check in to other countries, is there a web site to go to where I can find out how? What about the pets, do they need any paperwork? I imagine there is a place where this is published, but haven't found it yet...
I am starting to ramble, my apologies. Thank you for the quick response!
JParris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 05:08   #17

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: How much is your liveaboard rent?

Central FL. 10.00/ft + 95.00 liveaboard fee + 95.00 utilities.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 06:38   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

My boat is my only home in the UK, and I spend about four months a year on board her. I don't know if that's liveaboard or not -- much of that time is spent underway and out cruising somewhere.

I pay about 1000 pounds a year for my mooring -- that's about $1600 or less than $150 a month. There's no power or water on the pontoon, and it's not walk-ashore. I also have to pay a small amount of insurance every year for the pontoon. I pay about 800 pounds a year for a berth in the marina opposite my mooring for my dinghy. That's so I can get back and forth to my mooring. That's another $1300 or so a year, so I guess total damage is about $270 a month.

I usually spend the winter in a regular marina berth, in Cowes across the Solent. That costs 270 pounds (winter rates) or about $430 a month. Unlimited electricity is included. It's nice to have power in the winter time so that you can leave a heater going, plus a walk-on berth is better for working on the boat, which I tend to do more of in the winter.

I used to keep my boat in a regular marina on the Hamble. That cost me about 12,000 pounds a year or $20,000, so about $1700 a month. That was a little steep, I thought. I can pay for a lot of hours of generator use and shortened battery life, with the difference, I thought.

The dinghy berth gives me "citizenship" in the marina, so I can park a car there, get my mail there, use showers or laundry facilities, take on water, etc.

I think it's a pretty good deal, especially considering that it's just an hour by train from London. The downside is that the average wait for a mooring here is 20 years
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 12:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Good luck to you jhetfield. What boat are you considering? Have you chosen yet or are you exploring? If you're still at the learning stage, this webpage:
Janice aboard Seaweed welcomes you to my world...
might be useful.
And where are you located?

Thanks. I intend to buy a 30' - 40' sailboat in the near future to begin a new chapter in my life. I live in Northern California.
jhetfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 13:22   #20

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

How much do you pay a month to live on your boat?
Harbour fees = 30 USD per month (payable upon departure)

Are you on a slip or off the hook?
Anchored out.

What part of the US are you located?
Pago Pago, American Samoa

How big is your boat?
Documented = 48 ft; With self-steering/solar arch = 50 ft.

Lifestyle: live aboard, 365 days per year.

Water: rain water collection system.

Electricity: solar panels and wind turbine (no genset).

Food & bevies: well, everybody's different on that. We buy local stuff.

Laundry: 1) small cold-water only machine (use on aft deck; stow below).

Laundry: 2) coin-op on shore for big stuff. (maybe 10 USD per month)

Subtotal 40 USD per month, plus
.....food, coffee/beer/wine (most meals cooked aboard)
.....routine maintenance consumables
.....replacement boat parts
.....replacement clothing
.....occasional dining out
.....occasional (ahem) pub visit(s)
.....(minus) funds diverted to cruising kitty
Total: approx whatever we glean that month
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 14:02   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Like some others I am unable to respond to all parts of the poll. We do spend less than $250/month because we are frequently anchored out and not renting a slip. We are sometimes in the Northeast US, sometimes in the Southeast US and sometimes out of the country. It's commonly thought that "liveaboards" are always staying in one place, but many of us cruise. Most of the marinas that I frequent never charge me liveaboard fee. This may be because I rarely stay more than a week or month and I'm charged a "transient" rate.
Old 19-10-2013, 14:37   #22

Boat: Valiant 40

In Annapolis, the going rate for a slip for a 40' is anywhere from $500-900/month, depending on how close you are to "ground zero" or Spa Creek. Go a couple of miles from Annapolis and the rate drops steeply to less than half that.

The liveaboard fee here is an additional $100-$150/month, pretty uniformly, based on the extent of services that the marina provides. $150 gets you water, electric, cable TV, and wifi along with a bubbler during the winter. It might be higher for those that need 50amp service, I don't know. I hear that there was a liveaboard at one of the marinas around here who complained bitterly that he was being overcharged and insisted that the slips be metered. They metered just him to make him happy and evidently his monthly charge went up. Might be urban legend, who knows.

I'm in Urbanna Creek, in VA on the Rappahanock river for a partial refit and they are advertising slips for $150, all in, which is pretty reasonable as far as I'm concerned.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 14:49   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm confused. Your water to the boat was "metered" but you chose not to use the marina showers and toilets? Weren't you paying to shower on board and use the toilet on board when it could have been free?
I've know several couples that showered aboard to create some pretense of having a more civilized keeping up appearances type home.

As a long time Gladieteur, Pretorien and Amphitrite owner, I realize Henri was not into a good onboard shower.
Old 19-10-2013, 14:51   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Harbour fees = 30 USD per month (payable upon departure)

Anchored out.

Pago Pago, American Samoa

How big is your boat?
Documented = 48 ft; With self-steering/solar arch = 50 ft.

Lifestyle: live aboard, 365 days per year.

Water: rain water collection system.

Electricity: solar panels and wind turbine (no genset).

Food & bevies: well, everybody's different on that. We buy local stuff.

Laundry: 1) small cold-water only machine (use on aft deck; stow below).

Laundry: 2) coin-op on shore for big stuff. (maybe 10 USD per month)

Subtotal 40 USD per month, plus
.....food, coffee/beer/wine (most meals cooked aboard)
.....routine maintenance consumables
.....replacement boat parts
.....replacement clothing
.....occasional dining out
.....occasional (ahem) pub visit(s)
.....(minus) funds diverted to cruising kitty
Total: approx whatever we glean that month
I had always heard Pago Pago was a real ****hole. Maybe will check it out next time.
Old 19-10-2013, 19:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield View Post

How big is your boat?
$78/Mo
Mooring
Morro Bay, Cal
Hudson 50

But we own the mooring....to rent one here would be $250-$300/mo
We couldn't live any cheaper in our Car or under a bridge!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 19:34   #26

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Good luck to you jhetfield. What boat are you considering? Have you chosen yet or are you exploring? If you're still at the learning stage, this webpage:
http://janice142.com/BoatList.html
might be useful.
And where are you located?
Love your site Janice. It's also an inspiration for those in the doing stage.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 21:33   #27

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Texas is nice...$250/month and /$50 liveaboard here. Would prefer to anchor, but there is no decent area in Clear Lake. Too shallow and unprotected for my taste. Anchored out a bit last year here, but got tired of my keel bouncing on the bottom during northers. And I won't leave the boat at anchor when I go out of town for work.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 22:57   #28

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

If you would like to see a spread sheet with 7 years history including every penny spent, go to our website at S/V BeBe: Costs

Our average is $59k per year. Some of the expenses were planned, some were surprises.

The boat is a 2003 Amel Super Maramu at 16m LOA or about 53'. You can find information on the boat under the "The Boat" tab on the website.

The expenses were spread worldwide during our circumnavigation. It would have been more expensive if we had just stayed in the US or Caribbean. We know some people that bought a very used charter boat and parked it, never to leave, at Yacht Marine in Marmaris, Turkey. I believe they could eat every meal in a restaurant, go to a bar every night and their total expenses would be half what ours has been. Normally, we are sailing, or at anchor most of the time; but for health reasons, we have been berthed 90% of year 7. If you look closely and exclude new sails in year 7, you can see that being in a berth can cost less than being at anchor and on the move. I am betting no one has told you that.

There are too many variables and too many differences in how people account for expenses. I have yet to meet anyone that accounts for every single penny the way my wife, Judy does.

Be careful not to listen to what you want to hear...it is very likely that someone in CF will tell you what you want to hear.

You can private message if you choose.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBe Costs.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	68983  
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 13:00   #29

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Love your site Janice. It's also an inspiration for those in the doing stage.
Blushing... and thank you.

I was conceived, born and raised aboard a boat so it was only natural that I'd return to the sea. Besides, Calvert made you remember the words to Sea Fever way back then, and when I taught mine sixth grade, the same poem was in the curriculum. That made me laugh for certain.

John Macefield's poem is here: http://janice142.com/JoyPage/SeaFever.html

This truly is the life, and it is attainable by those determined enough. Still, far too many people feel "entitled" (oh, how I hate that word) to a large flat screen television, a washer and drier, and more Stuff than is even realized. For the past month I've been working (remotely) with a fellow as he attempts to pare down his Stuff in order to become a cruiser/boater. What's struck me (and him) is the volume of junk he'd amassed in the dozen years he's lived at his present house. And I suspect it's that way for most dirt dwellers.

This life is so amazing that once a person is out and comfortable with the boating world, long term happiness is attainable. And even though I might prefer to on occasion visit a marina because Seaweed has the goodies (wind generator and solar) the life out here is little different from what it would be at a dock -- except there I'd have visitors.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for everything and if you ever get over to this coast, look for Seaweed. There's only two others like her -- mine's the cutest, so give a call on the VHF. I'm always listening.
Old 20-10-2013, 13:02   #30

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I had always heard Pago Pago was a real ****hole. Maybe will check it out next time.
Ah, yes. The cruiser's rumor mill. Pago Pago isn't really as bad as made out, and a lot - as always - depends on the cruiser's attitude.

Santa Barbara, CA or Palma de Mallorca, Spain? Heck no - it just isn't. Still and all it's okay.

Warning: Travelogue follows.....

People are friendly and helpful.

It's a safe harbour. According to long time live aboard folk, in the past four years cruisers have experienced: No muggings ashore; one theft of one dingy oar; one incident of thieves boarding and attacking a live-aboard anchored out. (Caught IN THE ACT by Marine Patrol; 27 year sentence each.) Tie up the dinghy just about anywhere you want, for free. Lots of folk just tie to a tree on the shoreline, then take a local bus to where-ever. {Caveat: the Marine Patrol frowns on our using THEIR dock, or the ferry dock. Understandable, no?}

Provisions shipped or flown in weekly from USA and New Zealand. Dry goods and "fresh" produce. Maybe not always what you want, maybe specific items not restocked in anything like a timely manner, but stuff arrives. Local farmer's market for veggies.

Big thing for us: With USPS can have lots of parts & stuff flown in (fairly low cost) from US, Canada or Europe. Shipping line for big/heavy stuff, with one ship arriving from Calif every 15-ish days. New line operating from NZ and Aus just started up.

Internet usable, but you won't live-stream a sporting event. Yet. One fiber optic cable to Hawaii; new cable from New Zealnd in the works, island hopping up to Hawaii. Now: two ISPs covering the anchorage for WiFi and having many Hot Spots around the island. Or access the phone company with a dongle. Or use the hot spot provided by some of the pubs and restaurants.

Shipyard being renovated, with special attention to the railway (no lift system). Second, and smaller, railway in planning stage, to be paid for by Uncle Sam. Our friend has twice had his 75 ft mono hauled here. He's happy. We saw one cat with reef damage hauled/repaired. I don't know prices. Fishing industry boat captains {purse seiners; long-liners} are publicly and loudly praising the new management, new work ethic, new attention to details and new quality of work. (Back story: bunch of bums got fired. Remaining workforce decided an attitude shift was in order.)

And yeah, it's true that when the tuna cannery vents tanks the aroma is akin to whale breath. But that doesn't happen every day. Or last long.

Not the locals fault, but my pet peeve: Just wish more cruising folk had learned how to set an anchor properly. Yeah, the bottom is mud and rocks and left-over junk from the tsunami of '09, but still.. (sigh) Winds of 15 to 20 knots predicted off shore translate here in the caldera to gusts of 30 to 35. Be aware.

Bottom line: It's a lush, tropical island paradise where folk operate on "Island Time". Relax. Have a cold one.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard