Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: How many watts? And how many 12v batteries

The laptop can be the energy hog. Even more then refrig. When I purchased my last laptop, the most important criteria was watts used. So I purchased a $200 netbook that will run 8 hours on about 100 watts of charge. Most laptops with fast processors and big screens will use 60-80 watts an hour.

As others have said, depending on how much you use the stereo and computer, you might get by with one 130 watt panel and 200 amps of batteries. Or you might need twice that. The big thing is if your at anchor then you'll want to charge the toys during mid day.

To put that in perspective, I have a small fridge, small netbook, led and CCF lighting and not a lot else and I use about 750-800 watts a day, every day. I have four group 27 batteries and 230 watts of solar panels (2). That carries my day to day loads. A larger laptopor a boom box would mean I would need a third solar panel.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

SailorChic...lots of batteries and power consumption...ummm...considering opening a bookie joint? Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The laptop can be the energy hog.
Great point Sailorchick.

Congratulations on the new 'baby'

I did a study on PC devices. The makers really don't care much about consumption. They look at hours between charges and address the issue with bigger batteries. They assume you are never more than a few inconvenient steps from an outlet. Lap tops are terrible power sucks. Net & Note books are great improvements. Surprisingly, most marine nav computers are not designed with power use in mind either. We installed Simrad NSE-8 because - small LED screen (about 20 watts). Most are LCD with flourescent back lights. (about 35 to 55 watts). The remainder of our instruments are independant so we can turn them off if not needed.

I have a hand-held Garmin I use 98% of the time as my only Nav computer. Most times, we sail in day light and nice conditions so that is enough.

An interesting alternate you might be like is Free or Share ware navigational software. There are also some great apps if you have a device with GPS. We run Open CPN and Sea Clear. You may want to confirm software compatability with your intended PC before you buy. The nice thing about these is that they use NOAA free navigational electronic charts. (that's 2273 NOAA charts for free)

Think 'small is better' and try to compare watts for any new stuff. If you can bypass the wall-wart charger and run direct from your battery or a dedicated PC solar charger you reduce total demand too.

I suggest you read HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work HANDY BOB. He lives off the grid and has a lot of great advice.

For LED lights, read up on Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures technical Info & idiots guide. NAPA automotive LEDs are not for boats. Some LED bulbs can actually consume as much power as an IC depending on how they limit current. I have over 60 of the Marine Beam and Imtra PWM regulated replacements including NAV lights and spreader lights. If you will spend a lot of time at anchor & NOT in a designated anchorage you must run an anchor light. Use a replacement LED bulb in the fixture. You can save more by also using a solar recharging all-around white self-contained light instead. See one at West Marine and then shop on line.

These guys also have nice product and technical assistance BEBI Bebi Electronics-Installing Marine LED Reading, Navigation and Running Lights!

IMTRA. Marine Lighting - Boat Lights - Yacht Lights - Imtra
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote