Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 13:11   #31

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
you want a LOW expansion foam, unless you are looking to fill huge spaces with minimal material. You also want something that cures quickly- the amateur DIY foams sometimes take 8 hours to cure, and they don't finish expanding until they finish curing. I have used this stuff for years:

Hilti Online - CF 812 Window and Door Pro Low-Pressure Filler Foam
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 13:20   #32

Aluminium boats are often treated with spray foam, but I would be concerned about spraying the interior of a steel boat. Steel boat tend to rust from the inside out. So monitoring and inspection is critical
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 13:33   #33

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Boat Ship and Pontoon Foam Insulation

This is the stuff I was talking about. Its tack free in about a minute. I'm only going to use it above the water line, and on top of two coats of two part epoxy paint. (at least thats what I think I'm going to do, ,,,,,Still trying to learn the best way to do things)
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 14:03   #34

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
that pontoon foam confuses me- if it 'slow rise", how can it be tack free in less than 2 minutes. Hefty cost as well.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 14:20   #35

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
All good stuff and guaranteed to fit everywhere it touches. Cant beat it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	22171   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	22172  

Click image for larger version

Name:	34.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	22173  
Old 23-12-2010, 00:43   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Polystyrene foam...

The PO fitted panels of 1" polystyrene foam all over the interior of Boracay. Unfortunately that's where he stopped.

I was a bit worried about the fire hazard from polystyrene but it's no worse than polyurethane and it essentially has the the same chemical composition as fibreglass resin.

The stuff works well and is cheap. Can be glued in place with contact cement.

I cut back mine along the stringers, chine bars and frames so I could see what's going on.

I've fitted out the interior of Boracay by bolting pine battens to the stringers and screwing plywood on top. 7mm headliner and paneling, 12mm if there's any load.

It's a slow, labour intensive way to fit out a boat, but I can't think of a better way.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 06:41   #37

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
The PO fitted panels of 1" polystyrene foam all over the interior of Boracay. Unfortunately that's where he stopped.

I was a bit worried about the fire hazard from polystyrene but it's no worse than polyurethane and it essentially has the the same chemical composition as fibreglass resin.

The stuff works well and is cheap. Can be glued in place with contact cement.

I cut back mine along the stringers, chine bars and frames so I could see what's going on.

I've fitted out the interior of Boracay by bolting pine battens to the stringers and screwing plywood on top. 7mm headliner and paneling, 12mm if there's any load.

It's a slow, labour intensive way to fit out a boat, but I can't think of a better way.

Mine is a hard chine hull, so the flat surfaces would be easy to glue the panels to.......Nice:-) And I can do it in cold weather, instead of waiting until it warms up. If I held it away from the stringers about an inch or so for inspections, that would be better than covering up the trouble areas.
I love this forum. Thank you.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:11   #38

Boat: 40 Schucker 'Marguerite'
Send a message via AIM to gtmopat1
Spray Foam on Boats

I have used Foam it Green (www. sprayfoamdirect. com)
as additional insulation surrounding an installed and already insulated icebox as well as noise and thermal attenuation. This is closed-cell Polyurethane foam. Seems to work fairly well and produces expected results. I use the 12sq foot kit but if you were doing your whole boat it would be much cheaper to go for one of their larger kits. I am on my third kit at this time. Easy to use and apply, dries quickly, easily shaped if required. They also have a slow rise version which would probably be better for areas you cannot see.
Pat B
s/v Marguerite
gtmopat1 is offline   Reply With Quote