Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33   #31

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Harbor nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
the ONLY citation Ive receved was for a no pull rope on the boats bell !!

Man, that's a felony, and you are a hardened criminal!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44   #32

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Generally speaking if a person is new to the forum, they usually post their first post in meets and greets, so we can get to know you. Appearing here with a paranoid attitude, whining about something which has not even happened to you on a boat, you probably yet to have is not the best use of a forum.
Please tell us who you are. What your plans are and maybe lighten up a bit...
The above post is brutal from many directions. For example, tell me how much better we can know a person if they first introduce themselves in meets and greets prior to making a formal post in an electronic forum.

Also, give us some do's and don't on best use of the forum. One option for you may be to just not participate in posts that are not best use.

Best of all check a mirror relative to your last sentence above.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
just sayin some folks have ALL the trouble !! wonder why ?? [/I]
some folks have all the luck and win lottos several times in a row, or pick the right stocks, or are at the right time at the right place...

wondering about that or who has bad luck lends itself to 'karma', and I dont believe in that... I have had good luck and I have had bad luck, not more then others in either category...

but unless rules/laws, (to stay on topic), are enforced equally and fully all the time to all the folks, then the laws and the enforcers arent doing their intended purpose ....

clearly, if they were, we wouldnt be having this or any other discussion about it...
Old 03-07-2012, 13:08   #34

Boat: Union Polaris 36

My experiences left me to speak with my wallet, and I left the US because all the law enforcement made me uncomfortable. In fact I felt incredibly unwelcome from the moment I entered the country. Not by fellow cruisers, they were friendly and helpful and had very positive attitudes. Unfortunately their personality was not reflected in the US law enforcers.

We spent thousands of dollars in other countries as not give the US any more business than we had to. I decided to hold off refits for Panama. So from a visitors opinion, too many dumb laws, and poorly executed enforcement of said "stupid rules" hurts the economy. at least about 10 or 20 grand worth from me.

Life's a dream, live it!
Old 03-07-2012, 13:08   #35

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Let's face it, the "land of the free" resides in much of the third world. The US is free to the extent that you can get a lawyer and sue for your rights if you have enough time and money.... We have third world visitors right now for a few weeks, having been away for a while, they are amazed at how many rules and restrictions our lives have.
well you sound right :-) there's not much heavy handedness in third world countries. Cops read (ordinary folks) people well, generally let you go with a warning/advise/caution whatever you call it. they get after you only - if you have an attitude or committed some heinous crime.
Old 03-07-2012, 13:11   #36

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Well, as Gord has said, if you prefer no law enforcement, try Somalia. That's what happens. Unfortunately there is low life out there that we need protection from. Some of them are even disguised as recreational boaters / yachties.

I note that there are some people who travel through life always with a grievance or who are continually troubled by authority. They seem to get ripped off by every boatyard, broker and mechanic and it seems nearly everyone wants to anchor right on top of them. Fortunately I also meet some of the world's real gentlemen out cruising. They are polite and helpful to everyone and enjoy discovering humanity in all it's variations. They seem to have very few of these troubles.

I'm trying to figure out why that might be?
Old 03-07-2012, 13:13   #37

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Sailing in W Europe (France, UK, Channel Islands, Ireland), I have been controlled a few times at sea or in harbor (only once at anchor), and only in French waters (my home waters, where I sail most of the time). It happens approximately once a year. Until now, it went smoothly each time.

A possible reason is that there is much less crime this side of the pond, then less need for law enforcement.

Alain
Old 03-07-2012, 13:27   #38

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
A possible reason is that there is much less crime this side of the pond, then less need for law enforcement.
Well, actually, not quite true. If we're talking about murder, and anything to do with firearms, then of course it is true. But not so for other crimes - in fact quite the contrary. When I was in the UK car theft was five times more likely than the US. And don't get me started about pickpockets, purse snatchers, and other petty thievery; there is a reason American tourists are such easy targets - they don't experience it at home.

Hollywood has done us no favors as far as establishing an image of the US as a criminal place, but the statistics don't bear this out.

Greg
Old 03-07-2012, 13:32   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Well, actually, not quite true. If we're talking about murder, and anything to do with firearms, then of course it is true. But not so for other crimes - in fact quite the contrary. When I was in the UK car theft was five times more likely than the US. And don't get me started about pickpockets, purse snatchers, and other petty thievery; there is a reason American tourists are such easy targets - they don't experience it at home.

Hollywood has done us no favors as far as establishing an image of the US as a criminal place, but the statistics don't bear this out.

Greg
That has been my experience. The only place I've ever been mugged was Barcelona. Even my Italian friends warn me to stay away from Naples. But you know, most every country in the world has some place you shouldn't go.
Old 03-07-2012, 13:42   #40

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
yes, violations were found... and the nothing was made 'safer', and yet costs were incurred...

and even if 'violations' werent found, it is well known that violations could have been made regardless of what they didnt find...

I am guessing you are implying you lead a perfect and 100% legal life style? you have never sped while driving, and or crossed a traffic line, i.e. gone out of your lane of travel on accident? or maybe imbibed something then driven, (car or boat?) you dont need to be drunk to get a driving under the influence citation... (that is different then driving while intoxicated)

do we need to enforce every rule that is broken? or are there 'lucky folk' and unlucky folk? or is there discrimination, (either defined or undefined)..

we need less rule enforcers, and less rules, and more common sense.....
You can "guess" I' m implying any bloody thing you like.
I was simply pointing out that on the 2 occasions your boats were boarded (ironically ), they did find violations, and on a more serious breach, you were let off.
Doesn't sound like Gestapo to me.
Don't want law,-- follow Gord's advice.
If you were the victim of a B & E, or a ramming, you would need these same guys.
Old 03-07-2012, 14:04   #41

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quite amusing the OP hasn't actually experienced these things all he has done here is inspire an exchange of opinions, was today a "slow topic" kinda day?????

Did reader numbers drop some????

Just smilin'
Old 03-07-2012, 16:45   #42

Have you learned about the management from personal experience, fstbttms?
Old 03-07-2012, 16:49   #43

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The above post is brutal from many directions. For example, tell me how much better we can know a person if they first introduce themselves in meets and greets prior to making a formal post in an electronic forum.

Also, give us some do's and don't on best use of the forum. One option for you may be to just not participate in posts that are not best use.

Best of all check a mirror relative to your last sentence above.

I knew someone would get their panty's in a twist over this one. Maybe try reading "Meets and Greets". People new to the forum will introduce themselves. Tell us where they're from. What their "boating" goals are and any of their concerns.
For the most part, this forum is member moderated, unless things get out of hand, which they do on occasion. In reality, the OP came in here and dropped a bomb and is sitting back enjoying the opinions. So far the OP appears to be a "Troll".
Your opinion is always valued...thanx.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-07-2012, 17:03   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So far the OP appears to be a "Troll".
I dunno about that, but nonetheless created a valuable and worthwhile thread Certainly I am surprised that the US has so much crime - maybe they should get some more guns?

Old 03-07-2012, 17:31   #45

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Harbor Nazis

...now that's funny!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread