Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 17:38   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Harbor nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1984 View Post
Have you learned about the management from personal experience, fstbttms?
I have never lived aboard. But I earn my living in marinas, spend more time in them than most and know that my ability to ply my trade rests in large part upon the goodwill of the harbor staff. So I play by the rules. Further, everyday I see the kind of tenant who makes life difficult for the harbor staff. It's not hard to not be one of those types.
Old 03-07-2012, 17:40   #47

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Re: Harbor Nazis

Wheee..Is it time to turn this into a gun thread? Huh, can I, can I? Or Hunters...can we start bashing Hunters now? How about carrying a gun in the Caribbean on a Hunter? That's the ticket!!
Old 03-07-2012, 17:58   #48

Boat: 42' Cruising Cat, designed by Bernd Kohler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1984 View Post
I'm in this for the freedom - to live where there aren't any cops or anyone to come around and tell me how to live my life or what I'm doing wrong. (I'm not a criminal) But I've been reading and hearing horror stories about the gestapo-like behavior of harbor masters, the coast guard, and their ilk. I'd appreciate experienced input on this subject. Thanks
Have you any idea what you are talking about? Nazi's, Gestapo. Please let me know why you feel entitled to do such a comparison. I don't believe that you can speak from own experience, nor do I. But my grandfather got arrested by the Gestapo and got heavily tortured while my father's brother was slaughter to death. He was only fifteen years old. And the only reason for that was that my grandfather insisted of sending his children to church on Sunday mornings instead of going to the Hitlerjugend.
I really can't believe that only one single sailor/reader (celestialsailor) didn't like your attitude.
Jochen
Old 03-07-2012, 18:16   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I certainly agree with celestial sailor. Love of sailing is not mentioned by the op, neither is the sea or any other fundamental desire to be on the water, just "i'm in it for the freedom to do what i want". Read into that what you wish, but it would seem that "hey guys, where can i learn about sailing?" would have been a better approach than to start with a name calling thread which seems to be based on paranoia about being hassled.

Coops.
Old 03-07-2012, 18:25   #50

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumsel View Post
Have you any idea what you are talking about? Nazi's, Gestapo. Please let me know why you feel entitled to do such a comparison. I don't believe that you can speak from own experience, nor do I. But my grandfather got arrested by the Gestapo and got heavily tortured while my father's brother was slaughter to death. He was only fifteen years old. And the only reason for that was that my grandfather insisted of sending his children to church on Sunday mornings instead of going to the Hitlerjugend.
I really can't believe that only one single sailor/reader (celestialsailor) didn't like your attitude.
Jochen
You may not have read every thread this is/was a troll by who?
Old 03-07-2012, 18:47   #51

Boat: PETERSON 44
Never found a nazi attitude. Now last year up Annapolis way they were trying to keep lanes in the anchorage on July 4. I was sticking into the lane a tad. I protested and pulled in a foot of chain. They left and kept at it with others then the wind shifted and the tide turned and the lane just fell apart. Hope they gave up on that idea. Yeah anchoring inside the channel is out. But expecting us to anchor in nice lines so there is a open lane was nuts.
Old 03-07-2012, 18:51   #52

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The OP is certainly entitled to his opinion. So are we since he asked for our input. Many times I will write a post, read it before I send it and tone it down a bit. Of course I get cranky without my fiber...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-07-2012, 19:04   #53

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Quite amusing the OP hasn't actually experienced these things all he has done here is inspire an exchange of opinions, was today a "slow topic" kinda day?????

Did reader numbers drop some????

Just smilin'
Yes, heaven forbid someone start a free exchange of ideas that seems to generate a lot of interest.

Just in the past few years, we went from dealing with just the uscg. Now it's them, the uscg auxillary, homeland security, port police, the state police, and fish and wildlife.... There has been a noticeable uptick in the police presence in this country on land as well as sea, but we are easier pickings in our isolated boats. I would bet my bottom dollar that if the uscg did a thorough search of every boat of everybody who is reading this right now, they would find "some" sort of infraction in 99% of them.
Old 03-07-2012, 19:36   #54

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I've never been hassled in all my years of boating around the Chesapeake, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Lesser Antilles. I find all the horror stories people tell entertaining, but I doubt they represent most boaters' experience.
1+++ thank you HUD. I am not sure where the boat nazis are! Not where I have EVER been sailing, thank you very much... Thank God they are there when you need them.
Old 03-07-2012, 20:09   #55
cruiser

it isnt necessarily boat 'nazis', as the reference is about law enforcement.. and for those that get offended about the comparisons to nazi and or holocaust, give it up... one doesnt need to gas people to be a nazi... nor does the statement of Im going to kill you mean I am going to kill you... read and understand the intent/point, not pick it apart and use side arguments to detract from thge point...

and as for those that have never experienced an overzealous law enforcment agent, congrats... but odds are, you know someone, at least one person who has, and or heard stories, either on forums like this or in the paper or on the news... cant we all just get along???

cops/law enforcement agents have a reputation... maybe the minority, but again, for them, the few bad apples spoils it for their bunch too...

they can spend time, money and energy combatting that misnomer, or they can ignore it and tell us that it dont exist or that they arent that type... doesnt make the reputation less valid...
Old 03-07-2012, 20:38   #56

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
My wife and I spent 8 months in the Caribbean and came back a year ago. During that time we never once were hassled by any official. They seemed happy we made a good faith effort to comply with their rules and never did they ever board our boat. Usually they didnt even look out into the harbor to see if there really WAS a boat. Even when we were boarded on returning to Beaufort NC they were polite and only wanted to make sure we didnt have any fresh foods that could have bugs that might escape.

I think many of the horror stories are from people who either are trying to get around what rules there are or who have attitude. My experience is that a friendly effort to do what they want you to do means they will adopt the usual laid back island attitude. Try it! It is way more relaxing!
they were not lookin for fruits
Old 03-07-2012, 21:35   #57

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I've only been stopped once by the harbor police here in denmark. They were checking to see if i had enough lifevest as required. Didn't board, just sailed up alongside and asked. Took my word for it.

Never been boarded in any nordic country uk or germany.

Having traveled most of the world and met almost every type of cop. If you remain calm and polite. You rarely have a problem

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 03-07-2012, 21:43   #58

Boat: Lagoon 440

Australia no problems to us Adriatic no problems yet..

Negative crap spreads quick and gets exaggerated.

Heaven forbid the OP is talking of rumour not his experience at all.......
Old 03-07-2012, 21:54   #59

Boat: 1950's Lakes Cruiser

Try Australia on your next trip - it is a long way across the pacific but our cops welcome you and if you do wrong, they smile while they book you - Port Douglas - North Queensland Australia
Old 04-07-2012, 03:47   #60

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I have never lived aboard. But I earn my living in marinas, spend more time in them than most and know that my ability to ply my trade rests in large part upon the goodwill of the harbor staff. So I play by the rules. Further, everyday I see the kind of tenant who makes life difficult for the harbor staff. It's not hard to not be one of those types.
Well said