Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57   #16

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Good Advice from Old Salts

From someone who is at midway point in getting his boat ready to do what you want to do. STOP! get a really good job. Save as much and invest as much as you can now. Buy a plane and fly to where ever you want to go to later. Much much cheaper and faster as well as saner then sailing the deep blue sea.
But if you have to do it this way. Lots of good ole boats for sale now and buy one ready to go. You crazy kid!
Old 09-10-2014, 14:46   #17

Boat: Mariner 31 ketch (in Mexico)

Might pay to crew on an ocean passage to see if you actually like it before you commit to buying. Also, helpx.net is a good organization similar to Workaway; we've hosted travellers in NZ. Sometimes charter boats are looking for crew on that site.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 15:46   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Enjoyed these posts. I never did the buy a boat route to go cruising when young but can really recommend doing some crewing as others have suggested. You meet some really interesting people with many different ways of doing & will learn wether it's for you. Be warned it can become a life-long obsession !
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 16:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Read through all the posts- barny, you are quiet a softy! you old barnacle! Your nothing like the ones that cut my feet to pieces this summer!
And that is my point. Be prepared to work hard for what you get, and work hard with what you get (boat wise) and not be compensated for either other than beautiful sunsets and quiet adventure.
But for most of us that is enough.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 16:23   #20

Boat: kelly peterson 44

South Paw hit it right on the head go crew on a sailboat that is actually cruising the carib or south pacific see if its for you. Don't be that guy for example that decides he wants to learn how to dive after he went snorkeling once and spends a few grand on dive gear and turns out it isn't what he thought it was going to be. I just retired form many years as a merchant marine captain for Maersk lines I have 2.5 million nm under my feet and I am still scratching my head as to why I just bought a sailboat and leaving for the south pacific via the carib on the first of Nov. this year its because of a great love and respect for the ocean she is a tough old broad that doesn't forgive you for mistakes, so date her for a while before you decide to start a long term relationship with her.
mpatter894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 17:33   #21

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

Nothing like experience...
Email me if you would like to spend some weekends on the east coast of Fl learning.
Sea7King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt