Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 11:28   #31

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
No one is going to buy a house on $1k savings in this economy. The first goal has to be to save money. So, unless you can find a houseboat for rent in the area, find some place cheaper to live. You need to find ways to save as a lifestyle. Are there more affordable ways of feeding the family? More free activities? Is it possible to be a one car family?

Get the kids involved. They won't resent having fewer toys on the boat if they get used to less starting now. Could you have a garage sale to lighten your load?

If the whole family is on board with living on a boat, have an on the boat plan for at least one week a month, where you eat as you would on board, don't spend any money on entertainment, all camp out in the living room and play games to make the most of family time. Perhaps include some on the boat learning into this family time.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:31   #32

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Re: Frustrated. Ready but not quite. And, did I mention frustrated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Spot-on Veribusunitis. Well written.
I hope so.

But it still leaves me as just a wanna be with a dream, and without a boat. Which is a bit of bummer. I'm going to have to buy some sort of trailer sailor or something just to keep from being discouraged.

I forgot to mention picking up a trailer sailor or beach cat or something when you've got your finances in order. Something like a Hobbie 14 can be had on craigslist for $500. Sometimes you can find a sailing dinghy for even less. They're a bunch of fun, and help keep the enthusiasm up. They also help introduce kids and family members to the joys of sailing.

Again, good luck, but I recommend not diving in shallow water.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:57   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"No one is going to buy a house on $1k savings in this economy."
See the reference librarian. Habitat for Humanity is one option. Many municipalities also offer special entry programs for folks with limited income. No, it isn't easy or common--but there's a lot being done, quietly. Especially now to "get folks moved in" and stabilize a neighborhood.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:08   #34

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
"No one is going to buy a house on $1k savings in this economy."
See the reference librarian. Habitat for Humanity is one option. Many municipalities also offer special entry programs for folks with limited income. No, it isn't easy or common--but there's a lot being done, quietly. Especially now to "get folks moved in" and stabilize a neighborhood.
Even Habitat for Humanity requires a token down payment, as well as certain savings and credit criteria.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:08   #35

I think you will find that the boat expenses, if you could even afford a fixer upper, will be as high as your rent for a while. Add to that the trouble factor of getting yourself ready for work and the kids ready for school in a confined space, add to that the problem with having to walk to dog often so he can do his duty and get some exercise, add to that using a laundramat instead of your own laundry facilities.... My advice is to hang in there, get ahead in your money and work etc. If it was just you and hubby, then maybe a different answer....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:26   #36

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Soul View Post
We could transfer our jobs down by Orlando where we could both keep our positions and work while being on the coast.
Doable, especially if you're used to an hour commute. 3-4 marina options: Harbortown Merrit Island, Cocoa Village marina in Cocoa Beach, Titusville marina and Halifax Harbor in Daytona.

The real tricky part is the 3 teenagers since life will be hell if they all don't have their own personal space.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 16:27   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

I had a this hanging on my wall in High School:

"All things cometh to he who waitith, If he worketh like hell while he waiteth.

Seriously, patience the right boat will come along at the right time. I do think getting something you can get on the water with to get skills going is a good idea. There are small sailboats that are almost being given away in the 24 to 27 foot range, trailerables, look for one of those. No slip fees. There is a good chance when you are ready to upgrade you will sell it for what you paid or more.

Good Luck
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 17:52   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
For 20 years I spent most of my cruising kitty on booze, women and travel. The rest I wasted.

A guess is you are feeling that almost mid-life trap of working hard and not getting where you want to be. It's tough but it is also true that after 40 you get into a groove and start really figuring out the plan.

My company HQ is in Cincinnati. One of our admins lived on a housebot on the Ohio river for 30 years. Still lives there as far as I know. Maybe you could investigate a rental of something like that to get you and family on the water.

Right now your dilemma is cash. If you make a longer plan, say 10 years, you give yourself some breathing room and take some pressure off. It is an opportune time to consider buying vs. renting but you have to be prepared to hold at least 10 years and as noted $1000 down wont get you into the party. And after you buy the many things that are free in a rental home now cost you. New roof, new water heater, new aircon, new driveway. The list is endless. I wouldn't own again unless my horizon was 20 years or so.

Boat ownership will be like house ownership. The only practical way is to be in a marina unless you home school but it sounds like both spouses need to work. Marina costs are like rent and add to that boat maintenance and it gets expensive.

You recently had a change of circumstance that increased your disposable income. IMHO now is not the time to upset the apple cart and pull stakes and move. Now is the time to set financial goals. 10% of earnings or more if possible. Get a traler sailer and spend a lot of time on the water in the summers, also avoids tempting expensive vacations...

I finally realized my goal. I am trying to save $2,000 a month. It is still tough and hard work but the float away plan is still 6-8 years away. In the meantime I have my little weekender and sail a lot on OPB.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 16:48   #39

Boat: Mason 53

"How in the world did you guys make the leap? Did you have a big lump of cash hidden in your mattresses? "

G'day, mate. No big lump of cash hidden in the mattress here, but NO kids either!

A quick search on Yachtworld.com this morning to give a little reality to your dream yielded this:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=13304&url=

Looks like it needs a bit of work so it can float, maybe you can cut a better deal. Maybe this will set a benchmark to get others to find something better. All the best with the dream. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 21:57   #40

I am waiting for the kids to leave the nest. They do not want to sail around the world anyway. I have been planning for my boat for twenty years and have about six more to go unless the world blows up. Work, save, breathe, and repeat.

Here is an idea for you. If you can transfer your jobs anywhere, go buy a dirt cheap house in Detroit. Meet sailors there and sail with them on their boats. Get a trailer boat or build one yourself and sail in Great Lakes.

When your kids leave, go buy a boat with all the money you saved living in Detroit.
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 21:00   #41

Re: Frustrated. Ready but not quite. And, did I mention frustrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Soul View Post
I couldn't imagine living in a tent for 3 years with the kids. If it were just me, I'd be all for it. Well, I think eventually I would build some elaborate tree house and change my name to Moon Child or something.

We have definitely thought about finding a cheapy place in Florida. : ) We will be eligible for transfers next spring. Well...I'm eligible now but hubby....
I need to move to California, I hate to give up my trawler where I live in Punta Gorda fl for $250/mo including water /elec. It has been my home for 2 years and I love it but must sell and move. I'll finance if anyone wants her, structural and mechanica sound need some cosmetic work only. 9415851213 https://picasaweb.google.com/buckner...7Og&feat=email#
jwbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 21:42   #42

Boat: HATTERAS 50c, 55'aol

You may not be able to see the forest for all the trees! You live in Columbus, Ohio within easy driving distance to Lake Erie. Most land lovers don't realize the Great Lakes for what they really are - great cruising opportunities! Because of the short boating season boats are usually priced a little higher priced than those in the southern states and most boats also are never in saltwater.. There are many boats in the Great Lakes area that are for sale and are on the hard until they are sold. Remember a Great Lakes vessel rarely sees six months in the water each year, many are stored inside a heated building during the off season. So they spend half they're life inside a protected building!! With the right seller, a private seller's contract can be had offering a monthly payment until a larger down payment is obtained and then the buyer/seller switches over to a bank loan with the down payment already paid. There are many ways to work out a buyer/seller's contract. Go to an attorney and work out a plan along with a buyer. Boats are there it just takes two parties coming together and working out details that fit each parties requirements.
captseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:04   #43

Boat: Catalina 30

Gypsy,

First, keep your hope up! I just escaped from Cowlumbus in May ! I'm a student, and my next school is in San Jose, so I lived in a dump and started saving. (not a dump in like the hood, but a dump in a safe place) I checked craigslist every day until one came available. I picked up my 28' sailboat for 3K. I put a deposit on it, and drove out to take ownership. I did have to degunk the tank, and rehab the motor a bit, but she floats. I finally got her out of the slip today (after almost 2 months), so if you're doing it on the cheap.... fixing skills are gonna be necessary. Like everyone says, pare down your existence to a minimum, save every penny you can, and it'll happen
Danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:43   #44

Boat: PT-11

1. Get to where the boats are. The kind of boat you need is not gonna be found on Yachtworld, but sitting forgotten in some yard. You'll be a lot more likely to stumble upon it if you are where the boats are. You'll also start to get what boats and boatyards are all about.

2. Save every damn penny. Find the cheapest living option you can in this new place. Don't spend anything you don't have to.

3. Two/three years of this will leave you with a little $$ in the bank and some time for that Morgan OI51 that some old guy is giving up to come into your lives.

Its a question of making it happen. Sounds to me like you can do it.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 04:05   #45

Boat: Boatless
I am almost living in your shoes...minus the spouse, and kids. Although I used to have a fiancee' but she just wants to play house.

I drive a truck, so I have a lot of time on my hands. If you can listen to a radio during the day, I highly suggest The Dave Ramsey Show. Listen and get his book The Total Money Makeover. I am working like a rented mule to pay off credit cards, and a $4000 dollar ring it turns out I didn't need!!

For the Florida move, east to Titusville area, or west to Lakeland/Winter Haven. Orlando proper is way expensive. You'll save money just by not having to pay state income tax!!!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote