Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 09:30   #31

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: FL Drivers License - St Brendan's Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Just one small clarification to the above, per:
Chapter 328 Section 72 - 2011 Florida Statutes

(a) A vessel that is at least 30 years old, used only for recreational purposes, and powered by the vessel's original-type power plant may be registered as an antique vessel.

So, for example, if your boat originally came with a Ford Lehman 120 (FL-120), if the engine had been replaced with another FL-120, you still qualify. If you replace it with a FL-135 . . . . . maybe, maybe not.

My read on this is that you originally had a diesel and you replaced it w/a diesel, then its all good. You do need a surveyor signature on the form (for someone else to certify your boat is vintage).

edit: stand corrected, it can either be an owner or lisc. marine surveyor signature. https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/87243.pdf
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:48   #32

Boat: Lagoon 380

Right before we sold our house we got our Virginia Real ID licenses. After the house sale we did a change of address to the marina/slip here in Urbanna, VA and it went through. I was somewhat suprised that they let me change that easy after all the hassles of getting the Real ID. We now have 8 years before we need to worry about it.

Cheyne

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 14:47   #33

when you use St Brendens Isle address you may get a lot of Hendry county jury summons, At least I have .
myketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 16:05   #34

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

...and if you are out of state/country, then what if you get a jury summons? Obviously you are not physically able to show up.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 16:50   #35

Obtaining a REALID / Drivers License adds complexity.

As proof of a physical address is required. A PO Box can be used as the mailing address to receive your REAL ID, but one of your proof of residency documents must display a PO Box and physical address.

Florida will require TWO documents of proof of Florida residency to obtain a driver's license.

Reference links.

https://www.edwardringwald.com/REAL-...%20license.%20

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/71120.pdf

A non-REALID should not require proof of physical address but an ID is not a driver's license.

You may find it difficult to rent a car overseas without a driver's license that has a physical residency address listed.

Real ID 2022 Proof of Residential Address

https://escambiataxcollector.com/rea...ntial-address/

Person with two residential address documents in your name:
Provide two documents in your name as proof of residential address.
Residential proof documents will be scanned to your record.

Commercial Driver License (CDL) Holders:
Customers applying for a CDL or CLP (Commercial Learner’s Permit) must present one of the two required residential address documents in their name from the lists below. Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders may not use a Certification of Address form.

1. A lease or rental agreement for the residence with a term of 6 months or greater in the
name of the driver
2. Florida Voter Registration Card
3. Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
4. Florida Boat Registration or Title
5. Homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
6. Electricity or water bill
7. Cellular or landline telephone bill
8. Internet bill

If a CDL driver cannot provide one of the above documents in their name, the customer must provide the following:

Proof the customer has made a declaration of domicile filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court pursuant to Florida Statutes section, 222.17.

And

At least one of the following documents from the list below (must be a Florida address in the
name of the driver).
1. W-2 form or 1099 form
2. Bank statement
3. Credit card statement
4. Military orders or documents
5. Pay stub

Person with one residential address document in your name (does not apply to CDL drivers):
Provide the one address document in your name; and
A Certification of Address with Section A completed, self-certifying your residential address. Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders may not use a Certification of Address form.

Person with no proof of residential address who resides with a family member (does not apply to CDL drivers):
Provide one document in the name of the person with whom you reside; and
Provide proof of family relationship documents which may include, but are not limited to:
Marriage certificate
Military dependent identification card
Birth certificate
Adoption records

Person with no proof of residential address who resides with a non-family member (does not apply to CDL drivers):
Provide one residential document in the name of the person with whom you live; and
The person with whom you reside signs a Certification of Address form in front of a notary or a tax collector employee.

Minors have three options for providing proof of their residential address:
Provide two residential address documents in the name of the parent or guardian who is signing the parental consent form; OR
Follow the procedure for a person with one address document; OR
Follow the procedure for a person with no proof of residential address documents.

Offender/Predator without two proofs of residential address:
Provide current FDLE registration form; and
Provide a Certification of Address document with Section A completed, self-certifying your residential address. Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders may not use a Certification of Address form.

Homeless person residing in agency housing, a shelter, or probation home:
Provide a letter from the housing agency with the residential address including the agency’s statement that you reside at the location; and
Provide a Certification of Address document with Section A completed, self-certifying your residential address. Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders may not use a Certification of Address form.

Homeless person residing outside, in a vehicle, in a tent, etc.:
Customers who do not reside in a shelter, probation home, or an agency with housing services.

Provide a Certification of Address document with Section A completed, self-certifying your residential address as General Delivery. Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders may not use a Certification of Address form.
Residential proof documents will be scanned to your record; manager level local exception required.

Certification of Address:
When using residential documents in another person’s name, the Certification of Address must be notarized or signed in the presence of a tax collector employee. Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders may not use a Certification of Address form.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 17:58   #36

So you intend to leave the US for an extended period of time.

You may find banking arrangement could become challenging.

A useful reference:

https://www.monito.com/en/wiki/open-...roof-residency

Bon voyages.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 18:26   #37

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
And since I'm so full of good news, I should mention a US phone number. You need to maintain a US phone number of some sort so your banks and credit card companies can send you PIN number when your accounts get flagged for suspicion of fraud. This happens regularly when you're travelling from one country to another. It also happens when you get a new phone and sometimes even when your accessing your bank through a website using an IP address they don't recognize. You can't just take your US phone with you and expect it to work in all the countries you visit. The US is pretty much unique in the way they setup cellphone frequencies and access. In many cases your US phone will simply not function at all on foreign cellular service. I've researched this and never found a suitable solution. I resorted to always calling their customer service, explain that I am out of the country and don't have access to my US phone then jump though hoops answering questions about places I've worked and addresses I lived at. It was always a pain and occurs to frequently to make this a realistic solution for long term. Perhaps new satellite services can solve this but you need to make sure they will accept a satellite phone number. Most us banks and credit card companies will not accept a foreign phone number. It has to be a US phone number.

I finally gave up trying to find a solution that I could control and finally asked a reliable family member who I can totally trust and depend on and asked if I could use their phone number so I could receive the occasional PIN when the banks needed to send one. I set them up to use email as a primary form of communication so my family member is bombarded with advertisements and unwanted junk messages being sent to their phone. I message them and let them know I need to receive a PIN to make sure they are available. I then continue with screen that asks if they should send the PIN. My family member then messages me with the PIN number, I enter it and regain my access. It's still a pain but is still better than calling them on the phone.

I don't know if you considered this, but thought I'd pass on the information because you will undoubtedly find yourself dealing with it! Despite the troubles, you're going to love the freedom of cruising!!!

Gene
I think you should look into Google Voice or another VOIP phone service such as FreedomVoice. You can obtain a new U.S. number or have your existing US number transferred to that service. It will forward voicemail to email (recording and text transcription using language recognition technology) and forward calls to a foreign number when desired. It will also support text messaging (for authentication).
Get the paid service. Do not rely on the free version..
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 21:06   #38

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I think you should look into Google Voice or another VOIP phone service such as FreedomVoice. You can obtain a new U.S. number or have your existing US number transferred to that service. It will forward voicemail to email (recording and text transcription using language recognition technology) and forward calls to a foreign number when desired. It will also support text messaging (for authentication).
Get the paid service. Do not rely on the free version..
I look into this a few years ago and read quite a few reports that people had issues with it working in some countries. One of the requirements I had was that it forward the SMS messages to me via email and none of them seemed to do that. When travelling between countries you usually need to obtain a new SIM card and with that, you get a new phone number with that SIM card. If you're land travelling through a variety of countries you'd have to be updating your phone number for all banking services, or Google voice to forward to a new number every time you move to a new country and that's when you're account will most likely get flagged for fraud as soon as you try to access the site. Which means, you won't be able to update your phone number. I'll take another look but using a families member phone has proven to be very reliable for me. By setting my accounts to contact via email my family member has never received anything but the SMS messages. I'll take another look at these to see if things have changed. The US banks and government do not make it easy to travel and live abroad. Very few Americans ever travel abroad and even fewer do so for extended periods. The US banks and such just don't understand the issues we face. And most of these services require fees for the service. Something we try to avoid.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 21:35   #39

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by myketch42 View Post
when you use St Brendens Isle address you may get a lot of Hendry county jury summons, At least I have .
I have never had that issue, but I also only have them forward first class mail, magazines(i don't have any) and boating related mail. I have them throw all the junk mail away. I would view a jury summons as junk mail! LOL!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:08   #40

Boat: DeFever 49Euro

I used to be with SBI, but years ago when the local county began pitching a fit about people using GCS as a "residence" while cruising on a boat, I decided that it was important to me to have something that I could count on for the long-term.
With that in mind, I searched both FL and TX for compatible service companies and wound up with a similar service to SBI in Crestview, FL. I spoke with the owner and explained what was happening in GCS with regards to voting, etc. He explained that Okaloosa County encouraged RV/boaters as residents.
I switched my mailing address to myrvmail.com and have had great service ever since. I highly recommend them as an alternative to SBI.
beachbum5953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license