Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:25   #1

Boat: Islander 30
Drivers License Expiring

I will be leaving the country at the end of 2009 to start on my cruising adventure. My California drivers license is set to expire in February of 2010.

Does anyone have any information on how this might affect me, having an expired license? I will have a passport. I don't plan on needing to drive a car, but it is always a form of ID that I have had, so it just seems weird to be without it.

Thanks
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:33   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At your age, I imagine you may be able to renew your license online when the time comes. There may not be a necessity to take a new test, either written or driving. You might want to explore the California DMV site just to see what your options are. It may be possible to renew your license before you leave without waiting for expiration - it would get you another four years.

Another possibility is to get an International Driving License. It's one more form of ID, and there are places that just love to see lots of paper.

TaoJones
Old 09-06-2009, 09:46   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
If you are not leaving until the end of 2009, why not renew your license then rather than waiting for its expiry in February 2010? I cannot speak to the California DMV, but where I live renewal forms are typically sent out 2 - 3 months prior to the expiry date.

In any case, so long as you have your passport and do not intend to operate a motor vehicle, the fact that your license has expired should pose no problems when entering/exiting a foreign country. Furthermore, unless you are dealing with some petty bank officials, the license should still act as an additonal piece of photo ID, even if it has expired.

On the other hand, petty bank officials????? Are there any other kind? Unless you have some other form of government issued photo ID, I would get the license renewed as some banks require two pieces of photo ID in order to cash travellers cheques.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:47   #4

Thanks Tao. I will look into an international license. I will also see what I can do online for my CA dirivers license. I would love to avoid going down to the DMV. Not a fun place.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
If you are not leaving until the end of 2009, why not renew your license then rather than waiting for its expiry in February 2010? I cannot speak to the California DMV, but where I live renewal forms are typically sent out 2 - 3 months prior to the expiry date.

In any case, so long as you have your passport and do not intend to operate a motor vehicle, the fact that your license has expired should pose no problems when entering/exiting a foreign country. Furthermore, unless you are dealing with some petty bank officials, the license should still act as an additonal piece of photo ID, even if it has expired.

On the other hand, petty bank officials????? Are there any other kind? Unless you have some other form of government issued photo ID, I would get the license renewed as some banks require two pieces of photo ID in order to cash travellers cheques.

Brad
Send out renewal forms? Good one. No, they like to let you forget, and then when you get pulled over one day, your life becomes a huge hassle.

I think I will just look into renewing early and just getting it out of the way so I don't have to think about it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:04   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Other than the fact that you will not be able to drive/ rent a car etc. I would not worry about it too much. THere are very few places outside the USA that require two forms of picture ID, even for banks, your passport is considered perfect ID
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:20   #7

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Forgot to renew my license last month. So yesterday I go to a gun shop to pick up a AR7 that was shipped to me for my kids. I present my drivers license and of course its expired. I figure here we go, didn't need the hassle. The exceptional young man at the counter says no problem, goes on line and in minutes its renewed! Just had to put in some debit card information. So here in Texas its pretty easy to renew. Not sure about California though. My guess is if you can't renew now on line, go down and explain what your issue is and maybe you will get someone to help you out, but don't hold your breath. If not go the international drivers license route. Do not expect a expired license to help you out.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:27   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
International licenses , IIRC, are only valid if you hold a current valid national license
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:30   #9

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
A couple of thoughts to ponder. We're in the same predicament, so we're going down to get 'Enhanced Drivers Licenses', the ones that will allow us to pass through customs in Canada or Mexico. We're doing it for a couple of reasons: the first, it allows us to get new driver's licenses early, so the expiration date shouldn't be an issue while cruising; the second, it provides a second means of accepted ID at the border... in addtion to a passport. I believe that California has these available... but I could be wrong.

As I understand the International Drivers license, I was under the impression that it was only good so long as one had a valid State issued DL. Did I misunderstand this??

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:15   #10

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
That's right Rhosyn Mor, got to have a valide DL to have a valid Int'l License. If you renew early, no big deal and the AAA office will issue a INT'L LICENSE for $15.00 I think it is now and it will carry the same endorsements as the original license. I did the renew by internet thing and go the int'l from the local Triple A office, but mostly because I have a Commercial License with a Motorcycle endoresement as well. if I'm in a foreign country I can hustle work as a truck driver if I have to. Even rental trucks of any size mostly require a commercial license too.

No big deal, do it early.
Old 09-06-2009, 15:12   #11

Tonga,

A trip up the coast to Oregon would solve a lot of issues.

#1 - Oregon Licenses are good for 7 years
#2 - Oregon Licenses are issued on the spot within minutes (Not mailed to ya like California)

If you'd like to keep your short duration expensive California DL, then you can have someone retrieve your mail and send you the renewal to sign and return - then send you the license after it arrives weeks later. I found out the hard way that california only early "replaces" a license, but does not early "renew" (ie, if you reapply early, you'll get a new license with the same renewal date as your current one. Really chapped my hide when they sent me a replacement license that expired a mere 8 months after I applied yet they charged me the same as normal. I didn't know this until the day it arrived in the mail. I've had an Oregon license every since.)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 16:46   #12

keep in mind also, if you have no auto insurance for some time, you will be lumped into the "No prior insurance"class with the 16 year olds and DUI's! You can avoid this by having insurance and putting it in ""suspension" while you are gone, then it only costs you a a few bucks a month $10-20 I think.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 16:57   #13

interesting thing to think about here. i will find out about the license "replacing" vs. "renewing." I will also look into the insurance situation.

thanks for all the ideas and advice. good stuff. really appreciate it.

Tags
license