Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2023, 04:44   #1
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40
Dinghy registration - Florida

So here's a question about dinghy registration. I need to register my dinghy and outboard that I purchased in South Africa from a dealer.

The dealer provided a sale of receipt in rand which I can show as proof of sale to the state of FL. But, since it's not in U.S. dollars I'm curious if that's an issue for the good folks over at the DMV.

Has anyone else been thru this issue in the last few years? Would love to know your thoughts.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:09   #2

Re: Dinghy registration - Florida

You may need to help them with exchange rates/valuation.

Bring some supporting documentation, as much as possible.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:10   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I haven't, but bet they wouldn't care other than when it comes to sales tax if you have not had it over 6 months. You should just call the local Tax Collector office and ask.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:19   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Was mother ship imported and was that the tender on it?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:38   #5
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Was mother ship imported and was that the tender on it?
Our mothership was imported, but the dinghy was invoiced separately from a different vendor.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:19   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG View Post
Our mothership was imported, but the dinghy was invoiced separately from a different vendor.
And it makes no difference to the Florida Tax Collector. If your main ship and dinghy are in State more than 90 days they to get registered. The $90 ticket for the dingy is more than the cost.
Old 01-08-2023, 15:01   #7

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Have found the clerks in the Florida county registration offices to be helpful. But reasonably sure for a boat that has never been titled a Manufacturers Statement of Origin is required.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Have found the clerks in the Florida county registration offices to be helpful. But reasonably sure for a boat that has never been titled a Manufacturers Statement of Origin is required.
Correct. I recently purchased a Tru-Kit Dinghy from NZ and because I was going to mount an outboard, I had to register/title it in FL (my home state). I went to the local DMV and the first clerk wouldn't accept the NZ Certificate of Origin because it didn't look like a US Certificate. I waited a day or two and went back. This time I got a different clerk and she accepted it. As is always the case when dealing with the GOV.....ask the same question to three different GOV employees and then aggregate the answers....and I say that as a FED GOV employee.

One point to consider. If the dinghy is under 16ft and you don't plan (or can avoid) putting the engine on it while you are in FL, you aren't required to register/title it. Google: FL Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle Procedure VSTL-09.
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 15:36   #9

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Fatbob:
Your post mentions that the first clerk said, "...it didn't look like a US certificate".

I had a FL gov staffer NOT allow me to convert the dollar value of my Canadian pension to US dollars--which were lower--because the document, from Ottawa, didn't specify it was Canadian dollars....duh.
Reminds me of that saying, "Have you ever met a civil servant that was either...?"
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 16:53   #10

Florida motorized dinghy titling and registration rules. Also Sale / Use taxation.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...registrations/

All motorized vessels operating on Florida’s public waterways must be titled and registered. Chapter 328, Florida Statutes, designates that FLHSMV is responsible for issuing vessel registrations and titles. Applications for titles and registrations must be filed at a county tax collector or license plate agent office. Owners have the option of registering their vessel for either one year or two years.

A purchaser of a new or used vessel has 30 days to title and register that vessel. During this 30 day period, the owner must have proof of the date of purchase aboard the vessel. Operating an unregistered vessel after 30 days is a second-degree misdemeanor.

Exemptions from Titling
Vessels operated, used and stored exclusively on private lakes and ponds.
Vessels owned by the U.S. Government, the State of Florida or its political subdivisions.
Non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length.
Federally documented vessels.
A vessel already covered by a registration number in full force and effect which was awarded to it pursuant to a federally approved numbering system of another state or by the United States Coast Guard in a state without a federally approved numbering system, if the vessel is not located in this state for a period of more than 90 consecutive days.
Vessels from a country other than the United States temporarily used, operated or stored on the waters of this state for a period that is not more than 90 days.
Amphibious vessels which have been issued a vehicle title by FLHSMV.
Vessels used only for demonstration, testing or sales promotional purposes by a manufacturer or dealer.

Applying for Vessel Title for In-State and Out-of-State Vessels
A vessel not exempt from titling must be titled at the same time it is registered. To issue a Florida Certificate of Title for a new or used vessel purchased in or outside of Florida, the owner of the vessel must bring the appropriate titling fee and the following documents into a tax collector or license plate agent office:

New vessel – Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) or its equivalent statement of builder, or if the vessel is purchased in a state that does not require an MCO, the proof of ownership is an executed dealer’s bill of sale. The proof of ownership must include a complete description of the vessel, including manufacturer’s name, year, type, hull material, propulsion, fuel, use of vessel, hull identification number and length.

Used vessel currently titled in FL – Florida title accurately completed for transfer to purchaser.

Used vessel currently titled out of state – Out-of-state title accurately completed for transfer to purchaser.

Used vessel from a state that does not require title Current registration from that state and a bill of sale from the current registrant. Bill of sale must include complete description of the vessel including manufacturer’s name, year, type, hull material, propulsion, fuel, use of vessel, hull identification number and length.

Vessel Titling Fees
The following fees are assessed when applying for a Florida Certificate of Title in addition to registration fees and any applicable sales tax:

$5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75 (for paper title) or $11 (expedited (fast) title).
Additional fee of $1 to record each existing lien.
Additional titling fee of $4 is required for vessels previously registered outside of the state of Florida.

Applying for Vessel Registration
Applications for vessel registration are to be filed with the county tax collector or license plate agent. When applying for registration, the owner must establish proof of ownership by submitting an executed bill of sale, a builder’s contract, a manufacturer’s statement of origin, a federal marine document or another document acceptable to the FLHSMV. If the vessel is required to be titled, the title must be issued prior to the issuance of the registration.

Exemptions from Registration
Vessels operated, used and stored exclusively on private lakes and ponds.
Vessels owned by the U.S. Government.
Vessels used exclusively as a ship’s lifeboat.
Non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length.
Non-motor-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell or rowing scull regardless of length.

Sales Tax
If sales tax on the total purchase price of the vessel has not been paid at the time of the registration, payment must be made along with the registration and titling fees. If the sales tax has been paid, a receipt for payment must be provided to the county tax collector or license plate agent processing the title and/or registration.

If the vessel is purchased through a vessel dealer, sales tax is due on the vessel, motor (inboard or outboard), trailer and all accessories. If the vessel is purchased though a casual sale (no dealer involved), sales tax is due on the vessel, inboard motor and trailer. An outboard motor and accessories maybe exempt from sales tax if they are separately itemized and priced on the bill of sale.

Bon voyages.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, florida, registration