Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2021, 21:39   #226

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Re: Diesel Heater Advice

Put the control panel close to where you sleep so you can pre-heat the cabin before getting out of bed.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 04:03   #227

So I went and watched a couple of the Aussies videos on the fuel system again.

He says the eberspaecher pumps have a small filter on the high pressure side built in. You may want to check if your pump copied that and this tiny filter got clogged.

He says that some of the pumps have a method to limit the piston throw a "poofteenth" amount, which is Aussie for small. It may be worth checking to see if yours has adjustment.

The reason I started watching is I didn't think there were different types of pumps. According to Aussie they all have the same injection dose of .02ml. Assuming he is correct, you can measure your pumps output to see if you get something drastically different. He has a video showing how he uses a momentary switch to manually fire the pump solenoid a known number of times to aggregate doses to a larger measurable quantity. I think were I tasked with this I would dose into a graduated syringe from the plunger end with the plunger removed. Shouldn't take many doses to fill a syringe, average several fills of the syringe to mitigate errors. Installing and removing the plunger will clear the previous sample. This will almost certainly ruin the plunger rubber so don't do it too a syringe you love.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 21:31   #228

I have 8kw Chinese diesel heater installed and it works flawlessly the only thing i don't like is the amp draw,for this coming winter im installing Dickinson drip heater with double turn coil hooked up to thermostat bypass with a solar circulating pump
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 21:48   #229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
I have 8kw Chinese diesel heater installed and it works flawlessly the only thing i don't like is the amp draw,for this coming winter im installing Dickinson drip heater with double turn coil hooked up to thermostat bypass with a solar circulating pump
The starting amp draw is high but should be low after it is running and no longer needs the glow plug .are you reading the running amps or starting amps.
Old 29-08-2021, 00:33   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
I start my engine to help the batteries with the initial amp draw , it draws high amperage at the start around 8 to 9 amps ,then it drops well below 1 amp depending on what setting that you have it at
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 02:42   #231

Or use a remote controller and you’ll not even need to get out of bed.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 02:44   #232

You have a 5Kw heater labeled as an 8Kw heater. There are only two sizes made. The 2Kw and the 5Kw. The Chinese have no honesty in advertising laws it seems.

You’ll see the same if you look on Wish and see their 50,000w solar panel kits that are obviously no more than 100w.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 19:15   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Update:

Tried it again this morning and it ran. Shut it down and tried it again ten minutes later. It failed.

The first thing I disassembled was the exhaust. No blockages, but a surprising amount of soot given how long it's run for in total (maybe six hours total).

I removed and disassembled the unit. Removed the glow plug and bench tested it. Good. Opened the combustion chamber and it was slightly sooty but not too bad. The atomizing screen for startup looked ok. I couldn't easily get it out so I left it in place and sprayed down the hole liberally with carb cleaner. Got a bit of carbon out. Cleaned the combustion chamber with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Checked every electrical connection (but did not test every circuit). Reassembled everything.

I'm not counting my chickens yet but I've tested it twice more and it's been ok both times. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

My theory is this:

When I first installed it there was a small flat spot in the fuel line downstream of the pump, where the bubbles produced by the pump itself collected and formed a bigger bubble. It didn't affect the flow of fuel, but the bubble reduced the pressure of each pulse generated by the metering pump such that the fuel was dribbling, not squirting into the combustion chamber. This caused incomplete combustion and soot buildup on the main atomizing screen (which you can't get access to). Even after noticing and correcting the fuel bubble the soot was still there, so when the unit was cold it would light (because the lighting relies on a second, smaller screen) but then go out because the main screen was in poor condition. The carb cleaner blew it out enough that it now works.

That's my theory. Could be nonsense but I'm going to roll with it unless it fails again. Maybe I'll run a 50:50 diesel:kerosene mix for a while to try to keep the soot down while maintaining lubricity for the pump. We shall see..........
Dredging this thread up...

Has all been well?

I'm experiencing similar issues.

Ran it last year with a VERY sorry but wrong fuel line in a box plumbed in through a hatch.

Worked PERFECTLY!

This year I properly installed it and now problems.

It eventually starts but takes 2-3 tries.
Gilligan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 19:48   #234
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Over what period?

It is not uncommon for the line to bleed back into the tank. Maybe last hear the “sorry” installation tank was above the heater keeping the line full. But this year it is below the heater and drains back. Then you need a few cycles to refill the line.

With my Espar I can tell if the line is full or empty by the sound of the pump. If the pump makes a sharp click it is hitting in air. If the line has fuel then the pumo makes a much quieter and softer thump.

But even while running sometimes I will hear it make a sharp click, must be getting a wee bit of air somewhere.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 11:44   #235

I get white smoke coming out of the exhaust when it's not starting.

I took a picture before starting the last time and I can't see inside the last 2 inches but I don't think I'm bleeding back down a significant amount, if any.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220115_121746.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	251372  
Old 16-01-2022, 12:10   #236
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan8 View Post
I get white smoke coming out of the exhaust when it's not starting.

I took a picture before starting the last time and I can't see inside the last 2 inches but I don't think I'm bleeding back down a significant amount, if any.
Picture of your pump installation.
Needs to be at about a 45° up angle on the discharge.
Old 16-01-2022, 14:06   #237

It is a fairly long run to the unit but no air and it's rigid small diameter tubing the whole way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220116_160441.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	251381  
Old 16-01-2022, 14:14   #238

White smoke is excess diesel in the exhaust. It can even happen in an over-injected diesel engine. It happened to me when I manually primed the heater with the pump over ride feature of the controller. After priming (too much) I commanded a start sequence which was successful. As the raw diesel in the exhaust gets hot, it creates a dense fog.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 14:45   #239

Yes but this install has 4 days and 3 hours of run time on the clock right now.

I've run 5.5 gallons through it.
Old 16-01-2022, 16:01   #240
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

MAYBE the “white smoke” you are seeing is moisture??

I see “white smoke” sometimes also but the Espar kicks on so I ignore it. I have always considered it just moisture in the line.

My exhaust is real long, just under the max specification, so that may add to it, more air to heat, more moisture.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, heater