Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 17:07   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Curtain Hanging

I'm just really not ready for the world of sun at 5am and need to hang curtains on my portlights. But I really don't want to drill holes into the hull. What have people used that works?
Old 17-06-2014, 17:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: curtain hanging

3M makes some really strong double faced tapes you could use to mount hardware without drilling holes. I've used 5200 to mount teak blocks that I screwed my boat hook holders to. Self adhesive Velcro is also an option. I'm sure you'd need to stitch the part that goes on the curtain.
Old 17-06-2014, 17:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The 3M tape that is grey is strong as it gets, it's the stuff that Gopro uses to hold it's mounts to most anything.
Cleans up completely with goof off too.

I think this may be it, I've only seen it in sheets before
http://www.grainger.com/product/15C8...140618002342:s
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 17:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

A64, that looks like the stuff. Anything 3M has marked as VHB (very high bond)should work.
Old 17-06-2014, 20:55   #5

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

I used small sized 3m hooks with command adhesive, stuck them on the window and used thin fiberglass driveway markers (those of us in snow states know what I mean) as curtain rods. Makes it easy to remove the curtain in case you need to see out in a hurry.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 03:00   #6
CLOD

Thanks for the replies.

I would have thought that more people had hung curtains (without drilling holes) and willing to share
Old 18-06-2014, 04:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I would have thought that more people had hung curtains (without drilling holes) and willing to share
Mine came form the factory with curtains, I think that is common with most "older" designs. Curtains enhance the "teak cave" look
I believe it's the newer more modern designs that try for a feeling of openness and space that don't have curtains as curtains detract from that.
If your port lights or whatever you want curtains on are plastic, I would look and covering them from the outside as opposed to curtains, that way your protecting the plastic from crazing and not detracting so much from the spaciousness of your boat, plus I bet that is more effective at keeping the heat out
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 05:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Curtain Hanging

I'll add a silly answer, yet still our practical answer. We don't use curtains. We keep plants and glassware on shelves close to our ports.

I know those that want the light at times would rather have the option of opening the curtains; however, we spend so much time out in the bright sun while cruising, we enjoy the dark "cave" below.
Old 18-06-2014, 06:04   #9
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Welll....since you ask I'll tell you what we're doing. It might not work for you, but maybe someone else will see something they can use here.

Our window frames were made with stainless blind nuts pressed into the inside frame and 10-32 machine screws threaded into them from the outside. Bad idea, stainless pressed into aluminum. To mitigate the corrosion issues, I've pressed the blind nuts out and replaced them on the inside with flat washers and lock nuts.

To mount curtains, I used longer bolts than I needed, leaving me with some threaded part sticking into the interior past the nut and washer.

Then I designed up some little plastic (PLA in this case) toggles that screw onto the exposed thread and leave a little "spool" shape on the inside of the frame. I used a 3D printer to print up a bunch of the toggles.
I'm sewing 1/8" bungee into the curtain hems. These grip the toggles on the inside frame.

This lets the entire curtain work more like a kayak spray skirt, meaning the bungee hem holds it tight against even overhead windows. And the curtain can be whipped off instantly. Or bundled up and thrown into a washing machine.

Here's what the toggles look like on the CAD program, and a quick drawing of how it all goes together. Really pretty simple. The holes are already in the boat, I just replaced and extended the bolts further inside so I had attachment points. You can do a lot with a 3D printer on a boat. We have dozens of gadgets already that were custom made for specific spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain pegs.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	83371   Click image for larger version

Name:	ccurtain toggle.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	83372  

Old 18-06-2014, 12:54   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

To mount curtains, I used longer bolts than I needed, leaving me with some threaded part sticking into the interior past the nut and washer.
That's worth looking into, thanks!
Old 18-06-2014, 04:49   #11

I'm teaching my wife to sew, starting with ditty bags, then new cushion covers. After that, the sky is the limit but I know my wife is really keen on some curtains. I have never been crazy about curtains on boats but I don't mind blocking out the light.

To remedy this I have been thinking about making exterior sun control devices for our port lights. The thought is basically a strip of cloth with finished edges and grommets for lacing to the handrails along the edge of the cabin top above the port lights, sort of like a hatch cover but hanging.

Functionally, problem solved. Privacy at the dock, sunlight blocked.

Sure, I suppose if someone wanted to board your boat and lift it up they could see inside, but that is not really a concern for me. On the upside, pretty easy execution and no screws. Haven't gotten that far yet but been thinking maybe using shade screen material so you can still see out a bit, but maybe not.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 14:07   #12

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

I stick those clear plastic hooks that can be removed on each side of the portlight. I got them at Home Depot. Then I use a section of line with figure 8 knots on each end. I have a small piece of lace (but you could use any type of fabric) with the line going through the top of it. When I open the port, I simply take the line off one of the hooks and re-hook it when the port is open. It works really well and the curtains come off the line easily and can be washed.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 14:21   #13

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Aboard Seaweed, for the portlights in my cabin I have hung stained glass pretties. I like them. The chain that comes with these (Hallmark card store) is junk. I used a piece of "small stuff" (line) and tie them above the opening.

Works, and lets through light without blinding me.

Additional benefit: privacy and at night with my cabin lights on, it looks pretty when coming back from shore.
Old 19-06-2014, 15:18   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

We use a piece of 3mm ply held in place with suckers that stick directly to the Perspex (we got a carton with 24 suckers with hooks from a pound shop). In the UK they last quite a while but I don't know how they would resist UV but they are so cheap and most of the time they are in use it is dark.
Old 19-06-2014, 16:34   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

"Command Adhesive to Driveway Markers"
"Suckers to Perspex"
"Pressed Blind Nuts to Toggles"
"Chains to Glass Pretties"

I do love international forums,- the way you guys talk gives me such a thrill!