Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21   #46

Boat: cal 2-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
You have pointed out the boats that sit at the dock, tugging on their lines ready to go but never leave. These are the prime reason for the "go small, go now" philosophy. There will always be something else to do. You have to just push off the dock at some point and go! In my mind cruising philosophy is all about freedom. Being as free as possible. Living as free as possible. And a cruising sailboat is the tool that allows that freedom. Escaping life in a box to being free in the open outdoors. Fair wands, Jesse
Perfect......great outlook on life this is. And very valid points for the go now with what you have....not convinced that works for everyone.

Thanks!
Mark
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastarea View Post
what I have learn is : ''it's not bout the boat''
Please explain your mindset on this if you have time.

Thanks
Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28   #48

Re: Cruising is a Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsailor View Post
Never did quite get that go with what you have but go now idea. More of a take your time build it solid and make it last kinda guy. I am sure that mindset is playing into our decisions thus far and I'm good with that. Never been impulsive nor casually reckless and have done ok with that way of maneuvering life and life's choices. And thanks for reminding me of that go now with what ya have idea. Would like to know what moves that type of thinking. Not suggesting it is fouled but it's totally opposite of my thinking process.
Mark, you've written so very much, compared to the answers you've received, that you're starting to answer your own questions.

Give it a break for a while.

A friend of mine wrote this after sailing his stock but well retrofitted boat from Vancouver, BC to Mexico:

I find it really interesting on the whole debate of what makes an offshore sail boat. It is unbelievable how much BS floats around and how many people have opinions but no experience based on the particular boat they happen to have an opinion on. I now believe it matters far more how the boat is prepared than what boat it is. Obviously you need a minimum standard in terms of hull integrity and rig strength and I think the Catalina 34 has that easilly. The question is can the boat and crew be prepared for offshore? I believe the answer question lies only with the skipper who does the preparation. In our case, we have had a fairly good shakedown cruise and I rate the boat highly. I've had "experienced" sailors who were aghast that I would take my family with no offshore experience in a Catalina 34 from Vancouver to San Francisco - a nasty bit of coast. And it takes some serious thought to call bull#### and say you're up to the challenge having never sailed in an ocean swell. I've also had experienced sailors who say go to the Marquesas and you'll find a lot of less capable boats than yours crewed by Europeans having the time of their lives. And you'll also find North Americans with real fancy boats with a lot of broken bits waiting for parts.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:31   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Agree with this completely ! Thank you for adding fresh thoughts and very valid mindset. Interesting list.

Thank you
Mark.
Did you note the sailing skills were almost an afterthought and that repair skills were first LOL?

Successful cruising (as opposed to just sailing) has a lot to do with patience, being prepared to slog through any adverse conditions and freeing up your mind from expectations.

The leap is actually scary when a very comfortable,secure lifestyle is being abandoned (particularly for me as it was at the very peak of my career). Before cruising my life was laid out in a diary that was often filled in for months ahead. Now I wake up each morning and have absolutely no idea what the day may have in store for me. I just love it, but it is not for everyone.

I must say the good days on the water are simply brilliant, and the bad ones are actually needed for that bit of contrast so that complacency doesn't set in .

I agree with Rastarea's comment that ''it's not bout the boat''. I have seen successful cruisers in a wide variety of vessels (dramatically different ages, sizes, materials, designs, conditions). "Success" generally has little to do with the boat .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46   #50

Boat: Rafiki 37

Mark, our cruising plans quite intentionally have a certain philosophical approach. And as a side note, I probably also fall into the "over-think" category on some of this. In any case, me and my partner think about our cruising plans (which go into full-time mode next spring) in terms of Creativity, Learning, Adventure, Freedom & Cessation. Each of these terms expresses a world of ideas that are important for how we choose to live. We live with these ideas whether we are off wilderness sailing, or living on land.

Creativity is a life-giving view of the world. For me it means seeking new ways of doing things, and simply enjoying the aesthetic of the here and now.

Learning ... never stop learning. Living off the prescribed path is a great way to foster this.

Adventure comes in all forms, be it the big sail, or the small walk. I will never shatter records, discover new things, or challenge the gods of nature in any way, but I do enjoy poking into that unknown cove, or trying that weird looking vegetable.

Freedom drives much of what we do. To me freedom is the ability to do what I want, when I want. It's an ideal which is never full reached, but I can do some things to go toward the Form of Freedom. For me (and not necessarily for anyone else):
  • I avoid debt (b/c this is one of the ways our society keeps people chained to the treadmill).
  • Keep mechanical & electrical systems simple (b/c I'm not much of handyman).
  • And live inexpensively, (b/c I'm kinda lazy and don't like wage work).

Cessation is my active way of ceasing to be part of the problem. From over-consumption to financial greed, my society does great harm to the planet we all call home. I don't have the energy to try and save the world, but I can stop being part of the problem (at least to some degree).

You'll note, there's nothing in there about sailing, or even living on a boat. I love sailing, and I love living on our boat, but to me the boat is just a means to these ends.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stormsailor:

Cruising can be a way of life, or something that people do. What it will be for you will be what you make of it.

"It's not about the boat" means quite a lot, actually, for you can circumnavigate safely in an under 30 footer. Go in the boat you can afford now, if you don't have one. Live as low on the hog as you can, and don't let the marketers tell you what you need....

You don't mention your skills for repairs level. Better start learning, fix all your junk and then sell it. You got stuff to let go of and part of the feelings of letting go will facilitate your own letting go of your traditional life style. It --even though you desire to make the change--can be rather wrenching as well as liberating.

There'll be plenty of time later on to read philosophy, or whatever else turns you on. Or fool around on the internet.

There's a CF member who couldn't go cruising after all because of a major negative health event. That could happen to you. So what if change is scary? Where is it written that you should never feel afraid? Since we don't know how much time we have left, better get on it. ...or not, it's up to you.....

Ann
Old 12-10-2013, 14:18   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastarea View Post
what I have learn is : ''it's not bout the boat''
Very profound statement without doubt on my part. I am sure there is a book that would relate to this as a subject matter.

Thank you for refreshing this for me.

Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 14:19   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
All you need to go cruising is a BOAT!
One might think so at least huh...

Good observation and thanks.

Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 14:24   #54

A philosophy? And I thought I was just sailing to nice places and enjoying the view, the fishing and the company...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 14:34   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
You have pointed out the boats that sit at the dock, tugging on their lines ready to go but never leave. These are the prime reason for the "go small, go now" philosophy. There will always be something else to do. You have to just push off the dock at some point and go! In my mind cruising philosophy is all about freedom. Being as free as possible. Living as free as possible. And a cruising sailboat is the tool that allows that freedom. Escaping life in a box to being free in the open outdoors. Fair wands, Jesse
Surely,...your insight is right on target in what I have assumed to be in most cases. I think the go now with what you have can indeed apply in many cases. Does not apply for me at this time and with this understanding hopefully it will never.

"In my mind cruising philosophy is all about freedom. Being as free as possible. Living as free as possible. And a cruising sailboat is the tool that allows that freedom. Escaping life in a box to being free in the open outdoors. Fair wands, Jesse[/QUOTE]

I wonder what percentage of active cruisers share that statement. I know I am in that group.....thank you for your input.

And fair winds to you as well.

Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 14:44   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Mark, you've written so very much, compared to the answers you've received, that you're starting to answer your own questions. Give it a break for a while. A friend of mine wrote this after sailing his stock but well retrofitted boat from Vancouver, BC to Mexico: I find it really interesting on the whole debate of what makes an offshore sail boat. It is unbelievable how much BS floats around and how many people have opinions but no experience based on the particular boat they happen to have an opinion on. I now believe it matters far more how the boat is prepared than what boat it is. Obviously you need a minimum standard in terms of hull integrity and rig strength and I think the Catalina 34 has that easilly. The question is can the boat and crew be prepared for offshore? I believe the answer question lies only with the skipper who does the preparation. In our case, we have had a fairly good shakedown cruise and I rate the boat highly. I've had "experienced" sailors who were aghast that I would take my family with no offshore experience in a Catalina 34 from Vancouver to San Francisco - a nasty bit of coast. And it takes some serious thought to call bull#### and say you're up to the challenge having never sailed in an ocean swell. I've also had experienced sailors who say go to the Marquesas and you'll find a lot of less capable boats than yours crewed by Europeans having the time of their lives. And you'll also find North Americans with real fancy boats with a lot of broken bits waiting for parts.
My dear and cherished "first mate" agrees with you that your opening comment is so very true.

These replies are most surely confirming my conclusions and also affirming my assumptions in a general,..and some specific.

Thanks for you input on this subject.

Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 14:48   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Did you note the sailing skills were almost an afterthought and that repair skills were first LOL? Successful cruising (as opposed to just sailing) has a lot to do with patience, being prepared to slog through any adverse conditions and freeing up your mind from expectations. The leap is actually scary when a very comfortable,secure lifestyle is being abandoned (particularly for me as it was at the very peak of my career). Before cruising my life was laid out in a diary that was often filled in for months ahead. Now I wake up each morning and have absolutely no idea what the day may have in store for me. I just love it, but it is not for everyone. I must say the good days on the water are simply brilliant, and the bad ones are actually needed for that bit of contrast so that complacency doesn't set in . I agree with Rastarea's comment that ''it's not bout the boat''. I have seen successful cruisers in a wide variety of vessels (dramatically different ages, sizes, materials, designs, conditions). "Success" generally has little to do with the boat .
Noted and understood clearly thank you Lass !

And also if you will allow this thread to linger I am certain at some point there should be a clear and welcomed conclusion.

Thank you so much,

Respectfully ....Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 14:51   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Mark, our cruising plans quite intentionally have a certain philosophical approach. And as a side note, I probably also fall into the "over-think" category on some of this. In any case, me and my partner think about our cruising plans (which go into full-time mode next spring) in terms of Creativity, Learning, Adventure, Freedom & Cessation. Each of these terms expresses a world of ideas that are important for how we choose to live. We live with these ideas whether we are off wilderness sailing, or living on land. Creativity is a life-giving view of the world. For me it means seeking new ways of doing things, and simply enjoying the aesthetic of the here and now. Learning ... never stop learning. Living off the prescribed path is a great way to foster this. Adventure comes in all forms, be it the big sail, or the small walk. I will never shatter records, discover new things, or challenge the gods of nature in any way, but I do enjoy poking into that unknown cove, or trying that weird looking vegetable. Freedom drives much of what we do. To me freedom is the ability to do what I want, when I want. It's an ideal which is never full reached, but I can do some things to go toward the Form of Freedom. For me (and not necessarily for anyone else):[*]I avoid debt (b/c this is one of the ways our society keeps people chained to the treadmill).[*]Keep mechanical & electrical systems simple (b/c I'm not much of handyman).[*]And live inexpensively, (b/c I'm kinda lazy and don't like wage work). Cessation is my active way of ceasing to be part of the problem. From over-consumption to financial greed, my society does great harm to the planet we all call home. I don't have the energy to try and save the world, but I can stop being part of the problem (at least to some degree). You'll note, there's nothing in there about sailing, or even living on a boat. I love sailing, and I love living on our boat, but to me the boat is just a means to these ends.
Mike,... This is for certain worthy of print and a space on my bulkhead.

A complete and sincere thank you. Thank you!

Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 14:55   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Noted and understood clearly thank you Lass !

And also if you will allow this thread to linger I am certain at some point there should be a clear and welcomed conclusion.

Thank you so much,

Respectfully ....Mark

sic.....".So long ,and thanks for all the fish"...........................................if you want to be pholisifical about it
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 14:57   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Stormsailor: Cruising can be a way of life, or something that people do. What it will be for you will be what you make of it. "It's not about the boat" means quite a lot, actually, for you can circumnavigate safely in an under 30 footer. Go in the boat you can afford now, if you don't have one. Live as low on the hog as you can, and don't let the marketers tell you what you need.... You don't mention your skills for repairs level. Better start learning, fix all your junk and then sell it. You got stuff to let go of and part of the feelings of letting go will facilitate your own letting go of your traditional life style. It --even though you desire to make the change--can be rather wrenching as well as liberating. There'll be plenty of time later on to read philosophy, or whatever else turns you on. Or fool around on the internet. There's a CF member who couldn't go cruising after all because of a major negative health event. That could happen to you. So what if change is scary? Where is it written that you should never feel afraid? Since we don't know how much time we have left, better get on it. ...or not, it's up to you..... Ann
Ann,...I always follow you and yours on this site and have found all of your sharing quite respectable. You guys are for sure a great example to anyone with these aspirations.

Thank you. And good health and safe passages to you.

Sincerely ,.... Mark