Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 15:27   #16

Re: Cruising is a Philosophy

Yep, cruising is doing boat repair in (sometimes) exotic places!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 15:49   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Many Buddhists and others, would argue that it (Buddahism) is more of a philosophy. Tend to agree.

I find sailing is particularly conducive to philosophic speculation.Come on folks, help me out with this one!
I think there are times when sailing/cruising can put you in a philosophical mood but that doesn't make it a philosophy. Drinking too many rum Cokes can do that too!
Old 11-10-2013, 16:10   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Indeed. There are cruising philosophies, but that doesn't make cruising a philosophy.

I tend to think of it as an art.
cruising.... (kroo zin) the philosophical art of repairing boats while in exotic places. can be a lifestyle.

see american graffiti for alternate definition
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 16:29   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Much fear I sense in you.

Why either or, when you can have both?

For there are double-enders around with fine fin keels and spade rudders too.

Godspeed!

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:18   #20

Boat: cal 2-25
phi·los·o·phy (f-ls-f)
n. pl. phi·los·o·phies
1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
3. A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
5. The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
6. The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
7. A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
8. A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.
[Middle English philosophie, from Old French, from Latin philosophia, from Greek philosophi, from philosophos, lover of wisdom, philosopher; see philosopher.]

Thought it wise to drop the above definition in .

I appreciate all the added thoughts on this. There has been many stumbling blocks in my thought process in regards to doing such a thing as shoving off to the unfamiliar . At times it seemed to hinge on the type and size of vessel that I perceived to be of the correct design and build quality that would,..along with learning to understand weather and practicing good seamanship would allow me to make safe passage to my destination. What I have learned is that there are many ways to get to the same end. Not all agree in the methods and mostly differ in opinions even considering that most valid opinions seem to come from those that are doing exactly what it is I wish to do. I now believe that providing some fundamental basics are achieved,..that anyone willing to ply the sea and wind can and do sail all over the world in what to them seems quite safe and sound, and in relative comfort.

Some must have water makers while others look at this as an unnecessary added headache . Some have well maintained diesels that have been customized to allow for definite warnings to most anything that could possibly cause failure and some sail out of the harbor smoking like a coal train while hoping it will start back up when they hit that windward skinny harbor. Some cannot fathom the living space for them and their loved one being less than fifty feet while others be it few actually downsize after spending years on a much larger boat. And then there is power generation. There is some credence in never starting a Diesel engine and having ice cream each night while watching LCD TV while all the lights and electronics are humming right along. Yes that is possible and most of these guys that could live at anchor almost indefinitely are normally safely made fast to the expensive city dock or yacht club. Why is that???

There are so many totally different types of people doing this cruising thing, and so many different methods being applied that it can be seriously confusing from the outside looking in. But for all the different ways and means of cruising there is always the same common bond in that which drives the spirit to seek the horizon and continue to ply the wind and sea from latitudes large and small,... That they must all share the same adventurous minds and spirit of discovery within each type based on their own personal philosophy.

Things are becoming clearer to me the more I learn to understand there are many right ways. Many right boats and many right times as well. I have to make mine right for me because of something more important than just a hull design.

Please feel free to share your own philosophy as to what cruising means to you. Thanks for taking part .

Mark
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:41   #21

stormsailor. you are using waaay tooo much of your brain. it will shrink with hyperactivity., you must save yourself and rest it for a while.... the prescription does not include anything that does not make you laugh . no not history books.
and omg i cannot read anything that smart that uses soooo many words..it gives me a headache.. i am O L D .... have mercy. UNCLE!!!!
you must watch marathons of wil e coyote and road runner. you must watch scooby doo. you must watch popeye from 1938
betty boop.
farmer john cartoons...merry melodies silent comics ...felix the cat...fritz the cat....warner bros cartoons--all of em-....PLEASE!!!!!!

i cannot read that much print without a buncha smartass added.

but, to answer your question, kinda--each of us is different. that is why we disagree on everything. especially guns, anchors, kind of boat, what is blue water....everything...lol
so, therefore, every cruise is gonna be different.
yeah we bump into each other occasionally. that just means the earth is small. sometimes it is preplanned. that is scary. lol that means you actually KNOW the other soul..omg.
some cruise with money--they use marinas in high season..lol
some have no money...they get hired by the ones who have some but not much money to do refits while under way,and use marinas in low season, for the lower rates.....and on it goes....
i already spilled what i think--it is my lifestyle.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
stormsailor. you are using waaay tooo much of your brain. it will shrink with hyperactivity., you must save yourself and rest it for a while.... the prescription does not include anything that does not make you laugh . no not history books. and omg i cannot read anything that smart that uses soooo many words..it gives me a headache.. i am O L D .... have mercy. UNCLE!!!! you must watch marathons of wil e coyote and road runner. you must watch scooby doo. you must watch popeye from 1938 betty boop. farmer john cartoons...merry melodies silent comics ...felix the cat...fritz the cat....warner bros cartoons--all of em-....PLEASE!!!!!! i cannot read that much print without a buncha smartass added.

My dear zee hag,.....I most certainly did add humor and rant to what I consider a serious matter. You know the part about ice cream and LCD televisions. I don't watch much tv these days but scooby doo was most fore sure my fav when I did. But seriously,...as a whole there are many ways to achieve the same goals in cruising or arrive at the same result by following different principals and methods. I think that is why there are so many choices of design in sailboats. They all must find a buyer and no buyer is exactly alike. Personally I like the idea of water makers but am not sure there is a solid enough design that considers longevity. Also,....it is important to me that I don't walk from one rat race ,..only to design another one into my principals on what may be considered the correct methods of cruising. Like trading one hell for one that may not be as hot.....yet kinda thing. Ya feel me sista ?...

This entire process of developing somewhat of a plan for myself and my girl has made me somewhat confused and without valid answers in many cases. Which brings me right back to ,...what drives different people in their choices when it comes to this cruising thing. Where does one say,,,,,I got this figured out and feel good about the decisions I have made based on my own abilities and my own resources. It's time for a cold beer..

And zee hag thanks for making me lol. Your a good girl zee hag. I would love to meet you someday. We will drink rum laugh and talk engine design.

Mark
Old 11-10-2013, 18:54   #23

yeah i feel ye homeboy...now... i believe in running away from home, but when ye do , ye know that you always bring you with ye, so isnt like it is gonnabe some one else where you are in your skin or anything... the stuff we carry keeps us who we are..but we can ditch the hurry hurry bs easily enough..
running away from home...a good way to see how you react to this business of cruising. many kinds of sailors out here, from derelict, beverly hillbillies cruisers to eauhh, daahlingkk...it is time for tea sailors. each has a different way of being with this what is cruising idea. might be a good idea mebbe a couple of times to sail with someone on a leg of a cruise....
dont fight over the ice cream...lol...or the remote

could well be an idea before setting out cold turkey into a cruiser situation then finding you really dont like.......

i love the ocean. always have since i can remember,and the full moon. added sailing when i was a kidlet
Old 11-10-2013, 19:49   #24

Breaking away from wile coyote just to ensure that there are no misconceptions in my intent nor my personality . Not really built for the running away thing...simplifying and slowing the pace,..yes. Building a life doing something we already love to do and do it often (sailing) yes. Not as green as I once was and have some salt in there mixed in with a lot of fresh water as well.

Without changing this topic of what drives the serious cruiser's choices in methods and equipment ,... I...we... Are looking for the same thing that many others have found in the cruising life. Hopefully a slower pace based more on who she and I are as individuals and as a couple of 31 years and counting. Have had the American dream for way to long already and we both want to travel. Timing seems right after this being a main goal for at the least the past 15 years of our life. Both our boys have become men and the youngest is joining the military soon so now we have began making trips to look at boats and talk with other cruisers. We will definitely have an exit plan that does not require the sale of our future floating home. Both she and I have spent multiple days and weeks staying on the water sometimes more like camping and others more like living (different boats) have traveled abroad and are somewhat savvy to such antics.

We are coming to conclusions on the "right boat" that is needed for us and what we perceive to be acceptable to spend years on. Like zee we are getting old to,..so somewhat careful as to how we spend our resources.

Thank you for sharing your opinions and experience everyone. I main intent in concluding in my mind and suggesting that cruising in all it's different colors is more based on the type people we are and how we come to our decisions regarding all things cruising is more of a philosophy rather than a set of numbered steps that must add up to a certain number. I would like to hear more about the things that drives the avid cruiser in their practice of this lifestyle. I find it interesting. Especially after the cartoons are finished for the day.

Thanks for sharing,,

Mark
Old 11-10-2013, 21:01   #25

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsailor View Post
---

So do I need a full keel or will a fin and spade do the trick? What do you think?

Mark
I think your first post was over 500 words, and your ensuing posts many more. Sailing is a very simple thing. What you need to learn is how to say, "I don't know s#&%, anybody got any ideas?
That's a simple philosophical question.
Old 11-10-2013, 21:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I think your first post was over 500 words, and your ensuing posts many more. Sailing is a very simple thing. What you need to learn is how to say, "I don't know s#&%, anybody got any ideas? That's a simple philosophical question.
Thanks for sharing your insights. Curious as to how you came about deciding on a tri hull. Had you already decided that you would cruise mainly the east coast or did cruising grounds play into it at all? Your insights could be enlightening.

Thanks,....Mark
Old 11-10-2013, 21:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsailor View Post
Thanks for sharing your insights. Curious as to how you came about deciding on a tri hull. Had you already decided that you would cruise mainly the east coast or did cruising grounds play into it at all? Your insights could be enlightening.

Thanks,....Mark
My guess is he followed the philosophy of ... "go with what you got, but go now".
Old 11-10-2013, 22:11   #28

Never did quite get that go with what you have but go now idea. More of a take your time build it solid and make it last kinda guy. I am sure that mindset is playing into our decisions thus far and I'm good with that. Never been impulsive nor casually reckless and have done ok with that way of maneuvering life and life's choices. And thanks for reminding me of that go now with what ya have idea. Would like to know what moves that type of thinking. Not suggesting it is fouled but it's totally opposite of my thinking process.

Thanks,.....Mark
Old 11-10-2013, 22:17   #29

Kinda like ... Life is short, eat dessert first!
Old 11-10-2013, 22:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Kinda like ... Life is short, eat dessert first!

Now this is right down my ally.