Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2021, 16:39   #91

Re: Cheapest country for a live aboard?

$5,000 a month? We are retired from sailing. We live in a condo overlooking the Pacific Ocean. With mortgage, association fee, gas, electric, food,etc. We don't even come close to that. Years ago we spent 3 years in central America and spent $10,000 a year
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 23:03   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
$5,000 a month? We are retired from sailing. We live in a condo overlooking the Pacific Ocean. With mortgage, association fee, gas, electric, food,etc. We don't even come close to that. Years ago we spent 3 years in central America and spent $10,000 a year
Sailorboy1 said: “ This year our total all-in costs were $38,997.06, which is down $18.616.86 from last year ”.

I believe him.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 23:39   #93

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalbay View Post
Sailorboy1 has done a great job of documenting “Year 5 Costs of Cruising and Living On My Boat” in the US and Caribbean. He posts here on CF.

I believe the costs for the couple ran to approx $5000 per month for a non-extravagant lifestyle aboard. Their costs are similar to my own for 3 people aboard while travelling.

It will be interesting to see the posted budgets of people who are spending minimally.
He has indeed done a great job but I don't think he's been to the Caribbean.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 00:57   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Sailorboy1 has done a great job of documenting “Year 5 Costs of Cruising and Living On My Boat” in the US and Caribbean. He posts here on CF.

I believe the costs for the couple ran to approx $5000 per month for a non-extravagant lifestyle aboard. Their costs are similar to my own for 3 people aboard while travelling.

It will be interesting to see the posted budgets of people who are spending minimally.
Think it was mostly motoring around Florida and the gulf coast, staying in Marina’s and paying mechanics. Could be wrong...
Old 24-09-2021, 04:11   #95

Quote:
Sailorboy1 said: “ This year our total all-in costs were $38,997.06, which is down $18.616.86 from last year ”.

I believe him.
I don't think anyone doubts he spent that much...but it's certainly possible to live on less.

The question is how low before it becomes impractical.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 14:19   #96

OP here - this thread was based on another thread - places where you can retire on $200k and feel rich. I have yet to read that thread though.
- I'm in my early 50's and most likely would be sea bound by 57. I'll be drawing ss when i turn 62. SSI pay out should be more then the $800.
- I assume 3% of my net worth should be another $800 but i'm budgeting for $800-1,200 per month.
- My hobbies are binge watching movies and tv shows and listening the music. Working on the boat should fill the other time.
Kinda wondering if there is any country i can work in? I was debating working in the virgin islands. Also though of working in roatan hondouras
wavetwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 14:46   #97

Boat: Nicholson 55

The Philippines on a boat is of interest to me as I have friends and family there and I play with the idea of spending time on my boat there.

There’s an eminent member of this forum who is on his very nice boat in the Philippines at the moment. He may or may not want to comment.

Meanwhile…

I’m not sure that the Philippines is that cheap. I have a niece who just started university and she was quite dismayed by the costs of accommodation. She got a very nice, spotless, safe, quiet, studio apartment but she is paying Php 12K a month. Call that US$240 a month. This is in Zamboanga. A new iPhone X cost Php 20K. Food is cheap as long as you cook for yourself, etc.
Methersgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 16:28   #98

To the person who thought of working in Roatan. Lovely island , but little in the way of work there unless you start up your own business,
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 23:12   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methersgate View Post
The Philippines on a boat is of interest to me as I have friends and family there and I play with the idea of spending time on my boat there.

There’s an eminent member of this forum who is on his very nice boat in the Philippines at the moment. He may or may not want to comment.

Meanwhile…

I’m not sure that the Philippines is that cheap. I have a niece who just started university and she was quite dismayed by the costs of accommodation. She got a very nice, spotless, safe, quiet, studio apartment but she is paying Php 12K a month. Call that US$240 a month. This is in Zamboanga. A new iPhone X cost Php 20K. Food is cheap as long as you cook for yourself, etc.
It's cheap there. English speaking. It's nice. I do business there. They're getting hammered by Delta 19 currently.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:55   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Join the military. They will house you, feed you, provide medical and dental care and give you spending money to boot.

Only problem, occasionally people shoot at you.
Though some cannot stand the tone of the drill sergeant.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 22:40   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Certainly the Philippines seems appealing if nothing more than a several month cruise. Is there a main yachting area like say Vava’u in Tonga or is it pretty spread out.

Best cruising guides?
Depending on what you are looking for:

North to South

* Subic Bay - typhoon shelter, currently frustrating to visit because of Covid restrictions but previously active sailing, will definitely return to active sailing after Covid

Manila - forget it

Punta Fuego (Batangas province) - active sailing but not much room in the marina and anchoring outside is a bit exposed

* Puerto Galera - typhoon shelter, active YC, long time cruising hub, weekly sailing adventures organized by local sailors

** Romblon - typhoon shelter, the YC has almost disappeared through lack of boats, interesting town and area, close to many fascinating islands (nature, culture, geology)

Cebu - at least three sheltered places to keep yachts but no sailing activities

Tambobo Bay - typhoon shelter, many yachts but almost no sailing activities, good food & good company at Tongo Sail Inn

Samal Island - below the typhoon belt, sheltered marina, boats but no sailing activities

North to West
** Busuanga - typhoon shelter, close to good cruising grounds to remote islands but few active yachts, time has a habit of becoming unimportant here

Puerto Princesa - almost a typhoon shelter (and very few typhoons), friendly YC, many yachts but no sailing activities

Apart from these, if you are an explorer, then the Philippines from Subic Bay all the way South offers good cruising experiences. There are countless bays where yachts frequently drop anchor. Fresh fish available from local fisherfolk almost daily wherever you are (except Subic Bay). There are very few sailing destinations North of Subic Bay.

The Philippines is considered generally safe for cruising (I have experienced no incidents in 22 years). Having said that, Mindanao (the large island in the very South) presents a challenge: to stay safe around Mindanao, do not go West of Dapitan (North coast) and do not go West of Sarangani (South coast); the East side of Mindanao no problem, but few places to shelter from weather.

* most active sailing locations
** best locations for starting to explore the islands
alitaptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 00:22   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitaptap View Post
Depending on what you are looking for:

North to South

* Subic Bay - typhoon shelter, currently frustrating to visit because of Covid restrictions but previously active sailing, will definitely return to active sailing after Covid

Manila - forget it

Punta Fuego (Batangas province) - active sailing but not much room in the marina and anchoring outside is a bit exposed

* Puerto Galera - typhoon shelter, active YC, long time cruising hub, weekly sailing adventures organized by local sailors

** Romblon - typhoon shelter, the YC has almost disappeared through lack of boats, interesting town and area, close to many fascinating islands (nature, culture, geology)

Cebu - at least three sheltered places to keep yachts but no sailing activities

Tambobo Bay - typhoon shelter, many yachts but almost no sailing activities, good food & good company at Tongo Sail Inn

Samal Island - below the typhoon belt, sheltered marina, boats but no sailing activities

North to West
** Busuanga - typhoon shelter, close to good cruising grounds to remote islands but few active yachts, time has a habit of becoming unimportant here

Puerto Princesa - almost a typhoon shelter (and very few typhoons), friendly YC, many yachts but no sailing activities

Apart from these, if you are an explorer, then the Philippines from Subic Bay all the way South offers good cruising experiences. There are countless bays where yachts frequently drop anchor. Fresh fish available from local fisherfolk almost daily wherever you are (except Subic Bay). There are very few sailing destinations North of Subic Bay.

The Philippines is considered generally safe for cruising (I have experienced no incidents in 22 years). Having said that, Mindanao (the large island in the very South) presents a challenge: to stay safe around Mindanao, do not go West of Dapitan (North coast) and do not go West of Sarangani (South coast); the East side of Mindanao no problem, but few places to shelter from weather.

* most active sailing locations
** best locations for starting to explore the islands
Excellent summary.

I’d just say that the typhoons of today don’t seem to know the rules as well as their forebears did and some of them are straying South of where they ought to go.

And forget trying to import any spares or equipment.
Old 18-10-2021, 04:43   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitaptap View Post
I live in the Philippines.

At the moment there are no options for entry of foreigners to the Philippines unless aboard a vessel in distress or unless directly related to a Filipino.

BUT when the pandemic passes . . .

Where to stay options:
mooring in typhoon shelter in Tambobo Bay (Negros Island) US$30

mooring in typhoon shelter at Puerto Galera Yacht Club (Mindoro Island) US$300 - 20% discount for club members, club membership around US$200 per year = become a club member and save US$45 per month

marina Berth in Subic Bay Yacht Club (Zambales) around US$400-600 (based on yacht LOA)

there are a number of other options similar to Tambobo Bay, such as Puerto Princesa (Palawan Island) - not quite typhoon shelter but typhoons are rare there

Unavoidable monthly costs:
Visa US$275
Mobile network fees US$10
Food US$300+ depending on where/what you eat (a local "companion" can probably show you how to eat for less)
Drink US$1-2 per beer x how many?

Occasional costs:
haul-out for anti-foul, example - 47 foot yacht in Papaya Cove (Nasugbu, Batangas) around US$3000 (every 4 years = budget US$62.5 / month)

The big question is health. If minor ailments then it is in inexpensive to get consultation and medication but if surgery required then the costs of hospitalization could easily be US$500-1000 per day if you are not insured with recognized health insurer. Best advice: get health insurance, add it to your budgeted costs.

Issues for yacht owners:
generally safe but avoid West Mindanao

never leave anything on deck at night that can be easily removed

always buy fresh fish/lobster from passing fishermen when offered

avoid sailing at night if possible except with advance local-knowledge as there are many Fish Aggregating Devices (FADs) deployed by fishing communities, most non-lethal but none lighted

do not expect to catch too many fish yourself to sustain you

So, is it possible to live on US$800 per month on a yacht in the Philippines and enjoy life? Yes . . . US$900+ could make life perfect
Absolutely excellent summary. Very sound advice.

There is or was a cruising guide called “Combing the Coral Carpet”, by Bruce Curran. First edition was 2003 and there is meant to be a second edition but I haven’t seen it.
Old 18-10-2021, 10:28   #104

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

The Philippines?

Excellent cruising area, infinite numbers of islands and anchorages, and few, if any, other cruising yachts. People are delightful. The weather needs watching. We found it inexpensive, except for the marina berths available which seemed costly.

But yachting services are few and far between and importing parts is difficult. If you go there to live on your boat you will most likely be anchored although there are a few places with berths and marine services.

Other than Cebu city and the surrounding area, Manila Yacht Club, and Subic Bay we found no yachting services but I suspect there are quite a few scattered around.

For cruising it is endless so if you were a sailor and wanted to live where you could spend a lot of time each year exploring and on the move, while keeping a base somewhere, it could be a paradise. Some retired yachtsmen park in one spot, get a girlfriend, and never move. Usually near a community of other expats whom they hang out with.

In addition to the places mentioned up thread, we found these spots to be very interesting.

Gaang Bay, Near Vigan-Luzon
Bolinao or San Fernando-Luzon-to visit Baguio
Mariveles-Mouth of Manila Bay, Luzon
Borocay Island
Port Bonbonom-South End of Negros
Coron-Busuwanga Island
El Nido-Palawan
General Luna/Dapa Siargao Island
Cagayan Del Oro-Mindanao

We never found a guide book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tapiutan Strait & Bancas.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	246990  
Old 17-09-2023, 11:02   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCio View Post
Try The Canaries with their stable, warm climate, good winds, cheap marinas, fuel, and food, but remember to stay not longer than 182 days in a given year, otherwise you and your yacht would fall under EU and, what's even worse, Spanish residency with all its gruesome consequences.
What if you leave your boat there and went home by plane for 183 days, for example and then return. How would that work?
EinarNor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap