Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2024, 06:12   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cardboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
There are some DIY " foggers" available at hardware stores, etc. ..
Typical DIY chemical* Foggers are intended for temporary outdoor adult mosquito control - they’re not indoor [roach] fumigators.
Although fogger chemicals do not control mosquitoes long term, they can suppress them for several hours, or more. Because they don't kill the eggs or larvae, treatments must be administered every two weeks, or so.

* Resmethrin and Permethrin are both recommended insecticides, for adult mosquitos. However, they can cause serious illness, and even death, in cats. Permethrin is also toxic to fish. Bees and butterflies will also die from exposure to these chemical residues.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 07:14   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hot-Shot-wi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This sez it kills roaches as well as other critturs
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 08:27   #18

Boat: '76 Hughes/Northstar 40' sloop

The gel-baits line Vendetta are incredible at eliminating cock-roach infestations. Back in my marina days I picked up a bad infestation of the little brown 'german" cockroaches from a neighbor boat. Sprays and fumigation were ineffective but the one tube of the gel-baits eliminated them.
like-a-child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 10:26   #19

Boat: 98 Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Although it does not help the OP, I have found that if you winter north, the hard freezes exterminate the boat. Bugs have to winter over below ground, where it stays warmer.

Never had bugs in the boat in the spring. The cold kills them all.
I winter in toronto, canada. The spiders unfortunately survive the winter on the boat. Apparently they go into a dormant stage and produce a chemical that is effectively their antifreeze.
AndyBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 10:51   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBC View Post
I winter in toronto, canada. The spiders unfortunately survive the winter on the boat. Apparently they go into a dormant stage and produce a chemical that is effectively their antifreeze.
Indeed.

Outdoor spiders do not come inside your home, when it gets cold. They are cold-blooded creatures, that do not seek warmth. So, the spiders you see in the house, commonly known as house spiders, are not usually the same species, as those that live outside. They have likely lived with you all year. Their bodies have become adapted to indoor living conditions. Fewer than 5% of the spiders, you see in your home, have ever set foot outside. If you were to release a house spider outside, during the winter, it would probably not survive.

Arachnids have some unique biological tools, to help them survive.
When spiders sense the change in the weather, they produce a a glycol and protein chemical compound, called polyhydroxy alcohol. This is their bodies’ antifreeze. It will build up to protect the spider from the cold, and then go away, once warmer temperatures set in. Most spiders won’t freeze, and can still move around down to 23° F.
Most of the spiders, that live outside, enter diapause, to become less active, with colder winter temperatures. Diapause is a state of torpor, similar to hibernation. This causes spiders to go dormant. However, they do not completely shut down, and may emerge on warmer days to hunt and feed.

Old 15-04-2024, 07:19   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Bravo, Professor Gord!
I read many of the threads on CF so have seen many of your comments to previous threads. Am always impressed by your wide knowledge and advice.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 15-04-2024, 08:00   #22
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

We've been very strict about no corrugated paper aboard and fortunately have not had any bugs. Also we strip down all food items to their basic packaging or repack them to get rid of all paper due to moisture issues anyway.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 08:06   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

Roches can come abord in many ways: Fly in themselves, ride in on you or your pet, be carried aboard in nearly any package or bag.

I put nearly everything in a plastic zip-lock bag or a resealable plastic container.

I don't know that it is the cardboard specifically, or what it may contain. The fact that a lot of food products come in cardboard doesn't help. I think they (at least used to) eat the glue used to make cardboard boxes.

If I'm going to be gone for a period of time, I will remove all the food that I can. I also try to eliminate any water sources.

The best way to prevent/fight an infestation of any insect or vermin is to make it as inhospitable as possible for them. Clean, uncluttered spaces so they have no food or hiding places. (This can include garbage cans, pillows or sheets/blankets, stacks of boxes -plastic or not-, etc.) Little if any water sources. Possibly baits to kill off any potential 'guests' in storage spaces like behind cushions or under seats. Sometimes scents can be used to make it unattractive to vermin and insects while not driving you away as well.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 10:13   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

we had cockroaches in our boat once, we bombed, sprayed, used boric acid home remedies. This went on for a month. finally I took a few roaches to a expert, he looked at them told us we had german cockroaches and the thing I had been trying would not work. he sold me a small calk gun with a brown paste and told me to put small drops around in all the right places, a week later all were gone, no cleaning all dishes etc, simple wipe up little brown dots. point of the story save a lot of time and money and go to a professional for help.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 15:41   #25

Boat: Alberg 37

Spraying WD-40 in the likely locations worked for me.
Morris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 03:04   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Bravo, Professor Gord! ...
Thank you.
I once worked with Engineers, Architects, and Contractors.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3890974