Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2019, 18:33   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Budget Be Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So go forth and cruise before you are old. It's your money so be sure YOU get to spend some of it instead of leaving to your "heirs".

One of my most unforgettable boat names while cruising Mexico back in the '90's was an absolutely beautiful 40'ish ketch sailboat with a youngish crew (which I never met) called, "Grateful Heir".

You don't necessarily ALWAYS have to spend it before you leave.......

Ayn Rand
Old 28-04-2019, 18:40   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
The market is always in cycles. If it worries you there is an easy answer, ................. get out and buy money market bonds etc.

When I decided to start cruising I had a certain monthly budget chosen. I have exceeded than on a regular basis. But it hasn't really worried me as I also assumed the market would only increase 3% a year. Everyone needs to decide what level of fear they are going to accept.

BTW - CF has a sister forum for early retirement. You should spent some time there to find out just how miserable they sound in all their worry.
Link please so I can have a good laugh.
MSNBC is so yesterday.

Ayn Rand
Old 28-04-2019, 18:41   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Good on you SB! Great example of what is possible with good planning, great skill and a little luck. Mostly, you show what is possible with a little courage and willingness to step off the defined path.

There are endless “what if!” scenarios. No one can completely foresee the future, and bad things can always happen to good people. As I always say, “failure is always an option.” If it is not, then what life are you really living?

We (meaning my spouse and I) started “cruising” in 2014. We have not yet been 12 months on board for the sole reason that we are still exploring Canada. It’s hard to winter on board in Newfoundland. But we are on board for 6-7 months, then off doing land stuff for the rest.

Our budget is considerably lower than yours, but life is no less interesting. Mainly, we seem to differ around the “entertainment” and “eating out” categories, which should be useful to those who are still in the dreaming/planning stages. If/when we go south we will be 12 months, and I don’t expect our expenditures to change — mainly b/c we don’t have any more to spend .

The longer I live this life, the truer the adage becomes: Cruising costs what you have.
Old 28-04-2019, 18:42   #19

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Sailorboy1 you have done this forum (and me) a great service by openly discussing money. I grew up knowing somehow that talking about money was unseemly.
I’ve spent decades learning that’s is just a practical part of life.
Everyone I know has different risk tolerances. And different tolerances for risk in different parts of their lives.
For me the big thing is understanding mine, learning what I want and how to balance risk and reward.
I might live to 100. I might die tomorrow. I don’t know. So I make my bets and live with my choices.
I’m putting a 3k (new differential) in a 15 year old 145000 mile jeep Cherokee worth 1.5k USD. Why? If it lasts a year I win the bet. The car does everything I need. And my family needs. That includes being expendable.
I spend money on my boats. Why? They do what I need. That’s the win.
Thanks again.
PS.
I want to emphasize again that we all have different risk tolerances. I have taken risks that leave others gasping. I have seen those same others take risks that appall me. It’s all about balance of risk, consequence, and reward.
Old 28-04-2019, 18:49   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

My wife may be the wise one on the boat. She predicted “You will sorry if you post that!”.

I believe it is time to remind people I’m just a liar, idiot, fat man in a basement. As such I’m not an expert in anything and I don’t post links etc.
Old 28-04-2019, 18:49   #21

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
When I decided to start cruising I had a certain monthly budget chosen. I have exceeded than on a regular basis. But it hasn't really worried me as I also assumed the market would only increase 3% a year. Everyone needs to decide what level of fear they are going to accept.

BTW - CF has a sister forum for early retirement. You should spent some time there to find out just how miserable they sound in all their worry.
I think that's the same forum I belong to. There are worriers there, and plenty who have no worries. Sometimes it seems like an "old rich guys" club, but if you skip all the "what to do with my millions" posts there are some down-to-earth folks, too.

Thanks for posting. Real numbers always help. Coming up on three years of retirement, I'm a bit over budget too, although there's always a good excuse; some large expense that will help avoid future, even larger expenses, a couple of daughters' weddings, that sort of thing. Fortunately I planned a little "fluff" in the budget, but time will tell.

I won't be going back to work. Been there, done that. Maybe pick up a few bucks doing an occasional delivery or a couple of other things I enjoy, but that's really just pocket change and doesn't change the overall budget.
Old 28-04-2019, 19:10   #22

Quote:
My wife may be the wise one on the boat. She predicted “You will sorry if you post that!”. ...
“May be”… ? Is there really any doubt
Old 28-04-2019, 19:30   #23

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Great post SB1. Don't be afraid to take a little more risk than index funds. Sector mutual funds are great----if you know how to pick them and have a little luck. 50% yearly gains aren't unusual and assuming a 25% yearly gain isn't unreasonable. You'll need to spend more when SS kicks in if you don't want to leave a lot of steak on the table.
Old 29-04-2019, 03:45   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

For all the years we lived aboard and cruised, I thought I was living an inexpensive life; but then, my wife lost some mobility and we sold the boat and moved ashore. Now, we're spending even less than our costs on the boat.
Maybe some are simply more motivated by spending, shopping and having stuff than others regardless of their home choice or income.
Thanks, Sailorboy, for your thoughts.
Old 29-04-2019, 03:57   #25

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I swear, you post "beach cat" one more time, I will find a way to become a CF site administrator and write code to redirect you to thebeachcats forum every time you log in.
I don't sail/race beach cats anymore. 15 years was enough! It was a good learning experience though against some of the best sailors in the USA

The point was about "cruising" the ICW which doesn't take much of a boat to accomplish

I used to see the folks motoring the ICW near Pensacola Pass during my afternoon runs there.

Some of the boats were piled with stuff.....kids, bikes, kayaks, sun blocking tarps. It was quite a site but I enjoyed seeing them pass but glad I was running and not motoring along slowly

The base had a very nice running trail that went through the woods and along the ICW and by the old lighthouse at the pass. Plus workout stations along the way

As for Hurricanes..... leave and/or have the boat hauled if possible. Today's hurricanes are not like you dad's hurricanes.

We had maybe 8 hurricanes while I was living on the Gulf Coast. In the 1990's we'd have hurricane parties and watch the anchored sailboats to see if they would drag.

By 2004, the spot we used to watch from was under 8' of water during the surge of Hurricane Ivan. Katrina followed the next year
Old 29-04-2019, 04:06   #26

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Some of the boats we piled with stuff.....kids, bikes, kayaks, sun blocking tarps. It was quite a site but I enjoyed seeing them pass but glad I was running and not motoring along slowly
But they were inevitably having a lot of fun on their "adventure." Cruising means different things for different people. No right or wrong. I think it's great that families get out for trips on the boat (with the kids, kayaks, bikes etc.).
Old 29-04-2019, 04:20   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
But they were inevitably having a lot of fun on their "adventure." Cruising means different things for different people. No right or wrong. I think it's great that families get out for trips on the boat (with the kids, kayaks, bikes etc.).

By that time my son had his own Beach Cat and would sail it across Pensacola Bay with his friends to checkout the "chicks" on the beach at Pensacola Beach. He would have hated being stuck on a slow boat motoring the ICW with his dad at 13 - 15 years old. (sometimes they would "borrow" the big boat though a Nacra 6.0)

Sure is great but for a cruising retirement plan for two maybe not so much, but some folks enjoy it which is good for them.

I guess I just read too many books like The Dove (Robin Lee Graham) and Maiden Voyage (Tania Aebi) and have a different idea of what cruising should be

That and having spent lots of time on the ICW along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts.

My sister used to say her husband would complain constantly about the "slow" sailboats motoring the ICW on his way down to cross to the Bahamas Man O War Cay.

He'd say if they want to sail they should be offshore! I was thinking the opposite. He had the power and he could easily run offshore. (and come back in if necessary)

They retired 20 years ago though. My sister stayed in the Bahamas a couple months then decided that was enough so she spent the next 19 years at home up here maintaining the property while he fished from Man O War Cay with his crew on at first a 35' yacht and later on a 44'er

Their home is on the water (near the Seaside ICW) so it wasn't like she was missing a lot)
Old 29-04-2019, 05:56   #28
CLOD

guess the thread topic is over and I didn't even have to put it on my ignore list :-)
Old 29-04-2019, 06:08   #29
CLOD

Quote:

So it has cost us in real "money" about $10,274 to cruise 31.5 months.
I realize this was a poorly worded statement and/or it is because I wrote it after being at happy hour.

It has cost us $120,500 plus the lost ROI on that money to cruise the past 2.5 years. But currently we have $10,274 less in assets than we started with.
Old 29-04-2019, 06:20   #30

Quote:
I realize this was a poorly worded statement and/or it is because I wrote it after being at happy hour.

It has cost us $120,500 plus the lost ROI on that money to cruise the past 2.5 years. But currently we have $10,274 less in assets than we started with.
Once again, I say awesome .
Closed Thread

Tags
budget