Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 14:57   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Damned Electronics!

From today's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude, comes word that Jeanne Socrates, an accomplished single-handed sailor just beginning her single-handed circumnavigation, has lost her vessel on a Mexican beach less than 100 miles from her starting point. Reason: failed autopilot.

"Nereida Lost on Mexican Beach

"June 30, 2008 – Playa Michigan, Mexico

(Click on the
photo to enlarge it.)
Jeanne Socrates credits the 2006 Singlehanded TransPac for giving her the confidence to set off on a 15-month solo circumnavigation.
Photo Latitude / LaDonna
© 2008 Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc.

"We're heartsick to report that Jeanne Socrates, who, after completing the 2006 Singlehanded TransPac, decided to take on the world with a 15-month solo circumnavigation, has lost her beloved UK-based Najad 361 Nereida less than 100 miles from her starting point of Zihuatenejo."

For the rest of the story, go to:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 30-06-2008, 14:58   #2

Oops, guess the off course alarm wasn't working?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 15:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Give her credit she does not buy her own boat. Notice the Najad logo is still in the image frame. Even the folks taking the pictures get the idea. Ok they couldn't promise she would win but she looks good on the boat - deal completed. Losing can still win.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 15:15   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Bad ass luck. What a crying shame. She probably has the resources to give it another shot.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 15:37   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Give her credit she does not buy her own boat. Notice the Najad logo is still in the image frame. Even the folks taking the pictures get the idea. Ok they couldn't promise she would win but she looks good on the boat - deal completed. Losing can still win.
Actually, when she and her husband acquired the vessel in 1997, I believe they bought her. On her list of sponsors Sailing Vessel Nereida - Sponsors Supporting my Circumnavigation many are listed, but none of them is Najad.

Her husband died in 2003, hence her decision to single-hand, I guess. It's possible his passing provided her the resources to live in comfort, but who knows?

Whatever . . . it's a damn shame about the vessel.

TaoJones
Old 30-06-2008, 16:36   #6

VERY VERY SAD!!!!

We met here in Ensenada back in 04. Then about a year later spent a month or so together in Marina de La Paz.

She is one heck of a lady! Take a look at her track, she was almost finished with the circumnavigation! Since we first met her, she sailed (single handed) up and down the Wast coast twice! Did a Dockwise from La Paz to Canada then the Westpac, then this circumnavigation! It looks like she was within 100 miles or so of crossing the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Shiptrack at ShipTrak Position Display
She has sailed more miles than most of us on the board put together!

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 16:55   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
VERY VERY SAD!!!!

We met here in Ensenada back in 04. Then about a year later spent a month or so together in Marina de La Paz.

She is one heck of a lady! Take a look at her track, she was almost finished with the circumnavigation! Since we first met her, she sailed (single handed) up and down the Wast coast twice! Did a Dockwise from La Paz to Canada then the Westpac, then this circumnavigation! It looks like she was within 100 miles or so of crossing the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Shiptrack at ShipTrak Position Display
She has sailed more miles than most of us on the board put together!

Greg
My sincere apologies, Greg (and everyone). I had misread the 'Lectronic Latitude article and concluded that she had just begun her single-handed circumnavigation. I see my error, now, and the loss of her vessel is even more tragic in light of this information.

Thank you for posting that, Greg, and I again apologize for any confusion I may have created in my opening post.

TaoJones
Old 30-06-2008, 18:29   #8

Tao,

No problem. When I read the Lat 38 article, it did make it sound like she was just starting. I just wanted to make sure every one knew how much experience she had. AND, what a truly awesome sailor she is.

When we were in La Paz, we got together with a couple of others and discussed ways to go up the mast at sea. All the time we were there, she was doing her own work on the boat.

If you met her in her element, on the water, there is just NO WAY you could come away without being impressed.

Greg
Old 30-06-2008, 19:03   #9

I had a similar experience motoring with the autopilot in calm conditions approach Bermuda from the south. With the motor running and no heel you are not aware of a course change at night if the autopilot decides to play stupid. In my case the alpha disengaged mechanically and th boat turned 180°, so I was heading south back toward the caribe. What alerted me is I was sleeping on the starboard settee and the sun hit me coming from the port side portlight so I knew this meant that I was heading south. The rising sun was the cue which made me realize something was amiss. I had not gone far off, and was not close enough to shore to get in trouble, but I don't think I would sleep if I were that close to shore with a swell from sea and probably an onshore breeze from the SW giving me a lee shore. What about a depth alarm in that case? Unless the shore is steep to this would have also alerted her.

This is a very sad story and I glad at least she lived to sail again. She will.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“BoatMexico received sad news today that Nereida, a Najad 361, sailing around the world was lost on an isolated beach, Playa Michigan between Acapulco and Zihuatanejo, June 19th just before light. Her skipper, Jeanne Socrates, was the sole person on board and survived with only minor lumps, cuts, and bruises after Nereida grounded in the surf after her autopilot failed while motoring during a planned nap under favorable. Most of Jeanne’s belongings were either lost or badly damaged. She salvaged a debit card, some U.S. dollars ,and her passport. Her credit card was swept to sea. A nice Acapulco family has been helping Jeanne with lodging and other matters while she has been there...
... If you know of anything that can help Jeanne during these difficult times, please email us at:
admin@boatmexico.com or contact Jeanne by email at: synereida@yahoo.co.uk, or via her website at: Sailing Vessel Nereida - Welcome to my journeys

Goto: BoatMexico.Com

From The Ocean Cruising Club Obituaries:
GEORGE SOCRATES
George slipped away unexpectedly soon on 17 March 2003 after succumbing to a chest infection whilst being treated for cancer...
... Diagnosed with cancer in Grenada in September 2001, George returned there from the UK in May last year and sailed away to Tobago and Trinidad, and thence to Venezuela and Bonaire. Although things became increasingly difficult, his love of the sea and sailing meant that he was only really happy when he was on board Nereida. How lucky that he was able to 'sail the dream' and didn't wait until it was too late.”
Goto: http://www.oceancruisingclub.org/ind...o_pdf=1&id=197

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:52   #11

Not to be harsh but she went to sleep while motoring maybe 3 miles offshore? I feel sorry for her but come on, why not have a little sea room?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:14   #12

...because Joli there goes you and I but for circumstances.....experience can gain comfort but also risk. The more you sail the more chance of something happeneing. Some sailors are constantly prudent. They work like an undeviating machine. This is not a bad thing but also something that , in my understanding of my own failings, i am not capable of. I make mistakes. It scares me, but not so much as to stop me from going to sea. Many experienced sailors have ended up.."bumping" the shore line. I have a feeling that this was due to gentle conditions and a closeness to home. Not an excuse just a human frailty.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Not to be harsh but she went to sleep while motoring maybe 3 miles offshore? I feel sorry for her but come on, why not have a little sea room?
If you have a look at her proposed routing is exceedingly obvious that her plan was to hug coastal waters and minimize open exposure to the open sea as much as possible. With the placement of her waypoints, it seems her plan was to port/anchor every 2 days until she crossed the canal and departed the eastern coast of Venezuela for her passage to West Africa. It would seem she wasn't fully familiar with the dangers present along the Western Mexico coastline. The combination of the precipitous drop off of the continental shelf, and a plethora of underwater 'mountains/volcanos' present some rather interesting tide conditions.

I personally would have thought it safer to depart on a slightly south westardly track and then rode the favourable tides/trades towards Costa Rica in preparation for the canal crossing. Certainly would have been a more comfortable routing (but of course that does nothing to address what her personal fears may have been her solo attempt). But my familiarity with that area definitely would not have saw me hugging the coastline as she attempted. Of course I'm privileged with the benefit of 20/20 hind sight commenting on her misadventure - so not entirely fair of course. But with as much time as she spent in the area in preparation, it's just surprising someone didn't suggest she get into the channel 40 miles out as opposed to 'interesting' tidal conditions present within 10 miles of the coastline. Easy for me to say now, but it certainly would have been safer imo....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:32   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"...because Joli there goes you and I but for circumstances"
The way I heard it 'there but for the grace of god go I'. Ignoring the Graces and Gods alike...this is still the reason why "failure to keep a proper watch" is simply illegal under every shipping rule in every country. One of the hardest things a pilot can do is learn to trust his instruments--because as every sailor knows, electronics WILL fail, the only question is WHEN they will fail.

Most modern electronics have a criticality detector built into them, to ensure that they only fail when the timing is critical. If you don't believe me, ask Murphy, he owns the patent rights to it.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
If you have a look at her proposed routing is exceedingly obvious that her plan was to hug coastal waters and minimize open exposure to the open sea as much as possible. With the placement of her waypoints, it seems her plan was to port/anchor every 2 days until she crossed the canal and departed the eastern coast of Venezuela for her passage to West Africa.

Aussiesuede,

I think you are making the same mistake that a LOT of people are making!

PLEASE read my previous post. She was within 100 miles of closing the loop and completing her circumnavigation!!!!

If you went to the ShipTrack site I posted above and track her, those are way points she MADE good! That is not a PLAN.

Greg