Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-04-2019, 14:13   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Budget Be Damned

So I've been full time living on the boat and cruising a little more than 2.5 years. In that time I've been very weak and have regularly exceeded the monthly budget of $3k/mo I had planned on. So I wondered how this has all worked out in the big picture so I took a 2.5 year review:

- we have spend approximately $120,500 in this time, all in no "not countings", starting Sept 16, 2016
- we started with about $475,000 in real assets like cash, 401ks, and some stocks
- the only "income" we have had in this time is about $4500/yr in a rental house the past 1.5 years
- our total asset reduction for this time period is about $10,274 and as of April 29, 2019 we still have $464,726 in same basic mix of assets
- this is the difference of our current assets of real time 401ks, stocks, cash, rental value at the purchase price

So it has cost us in real "money" about $10,274 to cruise 31.5 months.

These are the facts and are what they are. It is just something to consider if you get into some "you need $XX" financial manager BS story. Not saying I'm right or wrong in my approach, just that this is a hard $$$$ fact FOR ME. And just wait till what happens in 3 years when I start tapping into whatever is in the Social Security Fund (my money I was made to "invest")

I'm providing this info to help planners. I'm NOT interested in the peanut gallery questioning or spinning some story about my numbers, I have an MBA and understand my numbers. I haven't done anything "special" I feel and have taken a moderate to above average level of risk, which included a slam a couple of years ago that I stuck out.

So go forth and cruise before you are old. It's your money so be sure YOU get to spend some of it instead of leaving to your "heirs".

Tags
budget