Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 08:01   #31

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Boat hack; Any trick, shortcut, skill or novelty which increases efficiency on a

I got tired of always having a sink full of dirty dishes. So I got rid of almost all the dishes, except one big bowl, one coffee mug, and one set of cutlery. Presto. No more dirty dishes...just one dirty dish.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:17   #32

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Boat hack; Any trick, shortcut, skill or novelty which increases efficiency on a

I painted the door opposite the companion way (in our case the refrigerator) with green chalk paint. Our "To Do" list greets us every time we enter the boat. We can leave messages for each other, shopping list, anything. I did this 4 years ago and it's one of my best ever ideas.

Sorry it came out sideways..I know there's a way to correct it, but I lost that brain cell.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1551114996787.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	186634
Old 25-02-2019, 10:01   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I painted the door opposite the companion way (in our case the refrigerator) with green chalk paint. Our "To Do" list greets us every time we enter the boat. We can leave messages for each other, shopping list, anything. I did this 4 years ago and it's one of my best ever ideas.

Sorry it came out sideways..I know there's a way to correct it, but I lost that brain cell.
Attachment 186634
don't you get funny looks when walking round the supermarket with a large green chalk board
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:12   #34

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer for most everything that needs a fresh water rinse; including myself, salt water washed dishes, cockpit. My boat carries only 25 gallons of fresh, and it's a very efficient water saver. Leave it in the sun for a few hours and it makes a nice hot shower.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:14   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

when working on large shiny yachts i made a pair of scrubby shoes out of an old towel for wearing when cleaning the decks, leaves you hands free for holding the hose pipe and a beer!
good leg exercise as well
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:27   #36

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boiledwater.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	186650  
Seattleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:49   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I mark my critical levers and handles with reflective tape. First-aid box, fire extinguishers, through-hull handles, engine cover releases, etc. With a flashlight, it is almost easier to find that critical handle faster in the dark than broad daylight.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:47   #38

I keep a short list of wrench sizes and types used for repeated tasks, e.g., 7/16 socket for heat exchanger zinc, 1/2 crescent for alternator bracket etc. Saves tons of time to know exactly which size and type of wrench to use, especially for awkwardly placed nuts.
Bostwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:34   #39

Hi All,
Forget a fancy spray of chemicals to prevent the mirror from steaming up in the bathroom. (or windows/portholes). Use a small amount of soap or detergent, wipe on to the glass surface and wipe off any reside, but aim to leave a very very thin invisible layer on the glass. Try it... It works!
Thought of the day - Boats and Rocks don't mix!
Pierreinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:56   #40

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Put an LED on your bulkhead or motor panel connected to bilge pump so you can see when you have bilge pump activity !
Even better is a counter like this.
See how many times its clicked on.
$10 on ebay

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:00   #41

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I use the voice record and or type notes of what I need into my phone.
When I go ashore, once every couple of months, I have a list of all the things I would have forgotten, not lost like a bit of paper would have been.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:45   #42

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

For any doors that rattle in the wind (Greenwell Point's other name is "windy point") a pack of window packing wedges (~$5 at hardware). These hard plastic split wedges come in various thicknesses and can pre-load any rattling panel or door, and in the case of Sea Biscuit, the wheel house sliding doors can be packed from the top when expecting rough seas—the starboard door jumped right off its tracks crossing the Gold Coast bar...
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 22:31   #43

Here are 7 great sailing tips. There are 3 more tips at the end of the video, for 3 more tips. This is a great sailing channel for all kinds of sailing tips and tricks in every area of a sailboat and sailing...Subscribe to get them all!

https://youtu.be/HJu26X6b8p8
rchildress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 06:31   #44

Many of us carry a spare bilge pump. I bought 20 feet of hose and clamped it onto the pump outlet. Also purchased 25 feet of 2 conductor sheathed marine electrical cable, which I attached to the pump power wires, then crimped on a pair of alligator clips. Coiled it all up neatly in a spare cloth bag.

1. Spare emergency supplement pump can be clipped on to any 12 volt power source
2. Immediately available to assist others
3. Handy to remove water from anywhere, such as a dinghy
4. Spare hose, wire, clamp, clips and pump available as needed, all stored in a convenient location!
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 06:36   #45

Fisheriesupply carries Noflex, the very best holding tank treatment we have ever used. Completely cleared up all associated odor.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, enc