Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 19:41   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Best temporary heating?

For limited use to take the edge off I would seriously consider a solid fuel heater like a Dickinson solid fuel heater. Wood can be a pain but a bag of charcoal doesn’t smoke, has more btu’s per pound, stores well, lightweight and can be found most anywhere. Solid fuel dries your boat interior better than anything (when combustion air is drawn from the cabin) and they are relatively cheap by comparison to liquid fuel heaters. It does require a substantial hole to be drilled but you can install and be using it within a few hours. Propane heaters don’t actually put out that much Co but the moisture as mentioned above is a serious problem. Candles and kerosene lamps do a good job heating but the soot buildup on your ceiling will surprise you in a short amount of time and when you do clean it, it is a greasy sooty, smeary mess and that burning eye sensation when you’re burning too many kerosene lamps. Forced air or hydronic are the best but $$$ a propane vented ‘fireplace’ has limited heating capacity more so if multiple cabins and less $$ but nearly twice a solid fuel fireplace. Only cheap propane vented option I’ve seen and personally used was the Dickinson cozy cabin heater. It is vented and has thermoelectric shutoff for the pilot light and a small (1.25” flue) so smaller hole and about the same price as a new solid fuel Dickinson.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 20:12   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I like the idea of charcoal – coconut charcoal is part of my wife's culture, and would be easy to find.

Not sure how I would run a 4 foot chimney run though. Solar Panels are over where I would install it.

Also like not invalidating insurance!
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 20:45   #18

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we rarely get cold weather (our motto : if the butter on the table melts, go south. if it's too hard, go north (southern hemisphere))

but when it does, the owner does a lot more baking in the evening. gas oven warms the boat up pretty well - esp if we close all the doors. fringe benefit is yummy !

cheers,
Old 24-12-2020, 23:30   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Not temporary, but these work just like a solid fuel heater, drying the boat air by pulling it in for combustion, take almost no power and can be run continuously for weeks on end. Plus, they use easy to get fuel you already have in the boat:

https://www.go2marine.com/item-image...91&resizew=191

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 02:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Not temporary, but these work just like a solid fuel heater, drying the boat air by pulling it in for combustion, take almost no power and can be run continuously for weeks on end. Plus, they use easy to get fuel you already have in the boat:
For some reason, Chotu, when I clicked on your link, all I got was a picture of the mystery unit. Here's the link for the

Dickinson Lofoten Floor Mounted Diesel Heater:
https://www.go2marine.com/Lofoten-Fl...l-Boat-Heaters
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 02:34   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
For some reason, Chotu, when I clicked on your link, all I got was a picture of the mystery unit. Here's the link for the

I like those Dickinson heaters, which have a big advantage in that they are extremely simple, with like one moving part, so totally owner serviceable, a big advantage for those of us who sail in remote areas. Disadvantages however include (a) need floor space which many of us don't have; (b) require whacking a big hole in the deck; (c) soot in the rigging; (d) poor distribution of heat.

Cheaper and much easier to install, and much much easier to find space for, is something like this:

https://heatersus.com/planar/planar-2d-12v-diesel
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 03:42   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

What’s wrong with an inexpensive 750W/1500 Watt Ceramic space heater?
Draws about 12.5 A @ 120VAC (standard 15A cct).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 04:59   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

for the southern climate I am amazed at how well the propane cozy cabin heater works. but it requires a 1" hole for the smoke stack. the blue flame is like a small fireplace. also a couple of fans to move the air around. this is in addition to a 1200 watt oil filled electric furnace.
Old 25-12-2020, 05:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What’s wrong with an inexpensive 750W/1500 Watt Ceramic space heater?
Draws about 12.5 A @ 120VAC (standard 15A cct).
These are a great temporary heat solution in my opinion.

The best actually, or even the bigger oil filled ones of the same wattage for a different type of radiant heat.

I was thinking the OP was completely off grid without a generator for some reason. Otherwise I’d have suggested the electric too.

Since we are not going to be anywhere all that cold, we are using electric heaters on the rare occasion we need to take the edge off. Until we we need to install something more.
Old 25-12-2020, 05:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

Thank you!

I must have used the image link twice by mistake.
Old 25-12-2020, 07:54   #26

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
These are a great temporary heat solution in my opinion.

The best actually, or even the bigger oil filled ones of the same wattage for a different type of radiant heat.

I was thinking the OP was completely off grid without a generator for some reason. Otherwise I’d have suggested the electric too.

Since we are not going to be anywhere all that cold, we are using electric heaters on the rare occasion we need to take the edge off. Until we we need to install something more.
I have small battery bank. When I plugged the smallest electric heat I could find at walmart my system started caterwauling and turned off: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-El...-08S/504414275

I do have a generator but they say no use of Generators after 10pm at our dock. So looking for non electric, or only uses trickle of electric for like thermostat, solution.

Edit to add, I don't have diesel on board. Prout Snowgoose with a single Installed gas Suzuki engine in the rear center.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 11:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A little pricy but will work well.

https://planarheaters.com/portable-d...or-activities/
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 12:20   #28

Boat: Moody 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
Meaning no permanent instillation.

I was looking at those, how much current do they draw? One I saw used a car cigarette lighter type.

I could remove the wall AC unit (which I've never used as I'm sure it draws a lot of current) and install one of China diesel units in it's spot seasonally.
They draw about 10A on startup, I have mine hardwired to the battery.

If you search eBay for an 'all in one parking heater' you should find an inexpensive unit that you could treat like a suitcase genny. Sit it in the cockpit and make sure the exhaust leads safely overboard. The ducting is 90mm diameter and would need to led inside in some way, e.g. a modified washboard.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it would be very cheap and very effective.
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 12:36   #29

For occasional use to take the chill off, can't beat a propane heater. These cabinet heaters work well and will run quite a while on low (6000 Btu). For Florida, good solution, and fairly economical.

This one's from Tractor Supply, but Google "propane cabinet heater" and you'll find many alternatives.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...a?cm_vc=-10005
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:25   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
They draw about 10A on startup, I have mine hardwired to the battery.

If you search eBay for an 'all in one parking heater' you should find an inexpensive unit that you could treat like a suitcase genny. Sit it in the cockpit and make sure the exhaust leads safely overboard. The ducting is 90mm diameter and would need to led inside in some way, e.g. a modified washboard.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it would be very cheap and very effective.
That is essentially what I posed above from Planar, a 14k BTU suitcase heater, even has a built in fuel tank.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating