Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2023, 06:50   #1

Are Sink sticks suitable to unblock boat drains?

Hi, my first post here and hoping someone might be able to advise me on the suitability of using a product called Sink sticks ( Eco Barn ) to unblock drains on our newly acquired motorboat?

We have a grey water holding tank which we pump out regularly but wondered if these sticks disintegrate in the drains/pipes or whether they ultimately end up in the holding tank and then lie there? Are they suitable for motorboat pipes and plumbing systems?

Maybe a silly question as I am assuming they disintegrate....

The kitchen sink and bathroom wash hand basin occasionally clog a little. We have used soda crystals and vinegar but problem still recurs after a few days. We have been so very careful not to allow solids to go down the kitchen sink, but we bought the boat second hand and have no way of knowing the state of the plumbing pipes....

The boat is a Vri Jon Contessa 37 motor cruiser.

Any advice very much appreciated as the grey water holding tank is in the keel of the boat,

Thank you,

Roundthebend23
Roundthebend23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 07:42   #2

Re: Are Sink sticks suitable to unblock boat drains?

I have not had good results with anything to put in the drain working well. But recurring as often as you mention makes me wonder if you have other issues with the drain system. How far above the waterline are these drain seacocks? Are they straight to the exit or have loops or horizontal runs in them? etc.

It's not uncommon for drains to act slow in many boats. In sailboats especially the drains are not far above the sea water level, so there is no "head" giving enough pressure for them to drain well.

I was on a small power boat once which had the cockpit floor only about an inch to 1.5 inch above the seawater level. If it rained hard the cockpit would fill with a couple inches of water. Although above the waterline it would take 20 minutes or more for it to empty after the rain stopped.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 07:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Vinegar and baking soda are a time tested drain opener that you've apprently already tried. If that's only lasting a few days, you might try repeated back-to-back applications. If that doesn't work, I suspect you have a grease buildup in your galley (kitchen) sink and most likely soap scum, tooth paste etc buildup in the head (bathroom) sink. Repeaed applications of undiluted Dawn Ultra dishwashing liquid should clean out both and won't upset your gray water tank.

You don't say what part of the world you're in, but if in the US, it's legal to send gray water directly overboard in all US waters except for a few inland lakes--Lake George in New York, Lake Winnipeksaukee in New Hampshire and at least one small on in California (name escapes me at the moment). Unless you're on one of them, you might consider rerouting your sink drains to an above-waterline thru-hull....after you've pumped out and thoroughly rinsed out your gray water tank.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:07   #4

I was not able to find an ingredient list but I would be concerned based on the warnings from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plughole-Un.../dp/B07PY4LNXL ):

Danger
  • Causes serious eye damage.
  • Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.
  • Causes skin irritation.
  • Harmful if swallowed.
  • Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
  • May cause respiratory irritation.
  • Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
The ad copy mentions enzymes but based on the warnings it sounds more like the active ingredient in the product is caustic lye. The rest of the warnings would indicate that it is not suitable to use on a boat.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Your post leads me to wonder whether there are traps in the drains. If so, they could be the main source of the problem and should be removed.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 09:25   #6

Sincere thanks for your kind reply, very much appreciated!
Old 19-09-2023, 09:27   #7

Thank you Cheechaco - we are going to have the boat looked at shortly ahead of the winter here in the Netherlands and will take on board all of your useful observations. Your reply was much appreciated, thank you!
Old 19-09-2023, 09:30   #8

Dear Peggie, many thanks for taking the time to write to me. We will have another go with the soda and vinegar and will also investigate the dishwashing liquid option - we'll also ask about the traps on the drains when the boat goes to the wintering storage for winter shortly here in the Netherlands. Again our thanks to you, appreciated!
Old 19-09-2023, 09:34   #9

Hi BeFree and many thanks for your investigative results! We have bought the sink sticks (there may well be different kinds out there) but think for the time being we will use these on our home drains as opposed to the boat just to be on the safe side for now, as this is our first year boating and don't want to give ourselves more problems on top of this year's challenges!!! Your reply was much appreciated, thank you.
Old 19-09-2023, 10:26   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I tried to clear a gallery sink clog a week or so ago. In the end it would been faster to just haven taken the hose off and clean it from the start.
Old 19-09-2023, 11:44   #11

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

I would try mechanically removing debris or build up by plunging them.

Tags
boat