Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 18:53   #1

Boat: Shock Santana, 30
Anyone here sold their Land House "Stuff" to move aboard??

After 4 boats, we've decided to sell our household furnishings and artwork, to unload before purchasing a liveaboard.

We've given ourselves a year to accomplish this major scale down.

We are not rich, however, prior to the great resession, through the years, we accumulated artwork and pieces and furnishings to fill a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house.

We also have a business to sell, which we are still working full time at.

Have any of you done this?

Gotten rid of most of your possessions in order to move aboard? We're looking to buy a a 42 or so foot motor yacht or trawler.

We are not interested in storing our land life things. We've appreciated and enjoyed them, but we want to move on.

Any suggestions and experiences are very much appreciated.

Thank You, Ron & Dee
DeeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 00:07   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Anyone here sold their Land House "Stuff" to move aboard??

I've seen a similar posting about this from a few months back. For me, it was a 5 year process to get rid of most everything. Four years ago, I bought the boat and then a year and a half ago, my dear old dog died. Two months later, I moved aboard. Sell what you can (Craigs list for special items and open house for misc thing), give away what you don't sell to charity (you can use that for a deduction on taxes), and maybe you can convince a family member to store a few boxes of treasures. Old pictures and important papers can be scanned. All bank statements and other monthly reports can be provided digitally. Get a cloud backup service. The hardest part may be to be selling off the furniture while you're still living in the home, but this is easiest to get rid of over several weeks and not last minute. Remember to keep a few things for the boat (sheets, towels, kitchen supplies, tools, etc.). I don't know anything about artwork, but a gallery might be willing to take the pieces on consignment. In fact, consignment shops are also a great way to get rid of clothes.Good luck!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:05   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim and I did this in 1986, and a lot was different then, so it may not apply to you guys.
We made the mistake of using a storage locker for stuff we couldn't bring ourselves to part with. One of those is a lithograph.

Thinking about it, you really don't want to pay storage for 30+ yrs, but at the same time, if some of your art is sure to appreciate, you might want to store the favorites (appropriately, of course), not just dumped in storage.

Things I left, then later retrieved: heirlooms, which were then given to my kids, and some things I wanted on the boat--my ball bearing rolling pin, my box of favorite recipes (thought I knew them, realized I'd lost some important details!).

I cleared out the house where I had raised my kids in one Sunday. Much went to Goodwill, when one got a tax deduction for it. Sofas, chairs, pots and pans and baking dishes. I gave the washing machine and dryer to my son and his wife, but most everything went to charity.... I want to add here, that there is something in my personality that takes satisfaction from knowing that my good stuff (like the Revere Ware) was giving someone I didn't know pleasure, someone who might never have been able to afford it otherwise. It's a great rationalization. Works for me!

Leave the States with the minimum your heart requires, then add as you need. Cookie sheets that fit marine stoves are available in Mexico and French Polynesia, as well as NZed and Oz, souvenirs of where you were and what was going on at the time. It is only unusual, or specific to you or your needs stuff that you need to bring. If you have a favorite pillow, bring that puppy, it will soothe you on your passages. [I'm a little embarrassed to mention this in public, but I brought two down pillows. Down really doesn't belong in a seagoing atmosphere, but I guarded them carefully, and they are still in service. Down isn't forever, but unstressed, it can last a long time.]

As you go along, you'll figure out what you can do without. And, truly, the world is getting smaller rapidly, and more *stuff* is available everywhere. You can even guy down pillows in Australia!

I found the process emotionally difficult, but once it was done, we just moved on. I hope this helps.

Ann
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15   #4
cruiser

Just keep in mind, living aboard full time isn't all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops. You might wanna keep some of your stuff in case you decide on making a change later on.

Stuff comes up like missing family, friends and health. We only know of two people who actually liveaboard full time, the rest keep land-based housing for part of the year. So the ratio is something like 1:200. Don't be too taken by the "sell all and go now" crowd, which is mostly comprised of single men.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:45   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

It's hard to get rid of so much stuff. I saw a old painting of ours on a friends wall the other day. I think they got stuck with a table too.
I didn't last that long at full time cruising but my wife could have gone on forever. We ended up buying all new stuff.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50   #6

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

we sold everything 2 years ago and have never looked back. ended up with a 5th wheel for work, but we are still living small and love it.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:20   #7

Going through the process now. Hard to believe how much crap one can accumulate after living ashore for a dozen years or so. Can't wait to trim down again.
Kept a small, yet pricey, storage facility last time. Could have bought everything new, including tools, for the storage cost over several years. They know that and make good money on it. Bought stock in the company that does well.....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:28   #8

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Getting rid of most everything is proving to be very difficult for me. Especially since I have been a mild prepper for eight years.

At least the economy is not bad. It is also considered a good time to buy a sailboat due to a weak market. I think this may change a bit in a few years.

The good news is that planning on liveaboard is a good way to stop buying so much. The bad news is all the uncertainty which all liveaboards dealt with prior to launching.

Selling your art may prove to be a challenge. I didn't try super hard but had little luck when I talked to art retailers about it. It would take a very large boat to be able to adorn the walls with art.

A lot of people change their minds after a few months at sea. It is almost always the female. The liveaboard community has been called a sausage fest. Are you sure this life is for you?
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:39   #9

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

"We are not interested in storing our land life things...Any suggestions and experiences are very much appreciated."

I'd agree with you, most of it is just 'stuff'; we'd a few artworks and a few bits of genuinely 'sentimental' value, which family and friends are taking care of (its not hard to find willing wall space for good/original art works, though the mororcycles were a little harder to place (plenty of offers, but too many offerees who I wouldn't trust not to trash them). For the rest, its all easily replaceable when/if we return to dry land and at a cost that'll likely be less than it would have been to store it. We were lucky enough to get buyers who needed to fully furnish the house too, so having agreed a deal on the house, we sold them all the contents too.

Do heed the advice about selling all property/completely cutting your ties to the land though, we've met too many people over the years who've clearly had enough of the cruising lifestyle, but can no longer afford to re-enter the property market and return to shore. We retain a small unfurnished rental property, managed by an Agent - we've not been inside it in seven years - and whilst we'd never contemplate living there ourselves, it'll remain saleable at the 'current market price' if and more likely when we do need somewhere to go back and die in.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:23   #10

Boat: J/42

The task seems daunting. One person who moved aboard a year or two ago told me that she simply hired an estate agent and walked away.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35

When it was time to go for us, we sold our house completely furnished.

It was a country estate, and we were advertising it to city people who were ready to move to the countryside so we included everything. Inside the house that was furniture,, artwork, electronics, all the linens (sheets, blankets, towels, etc), books, aquarium, tools, dishes, cutlery, small appliances and cookware, everything. Outside the house that was lawnmower, tractor, atv, snowmobiles, 24' cuddy cabin with trailer.

It was a complete package deal with everything you needed except your car and your clothes.

It took about 2 years to sell, which was typical for country property around where we lived, but pretty amazing since we didn't have a broker and sold it privately.

On closing day we put our clothes and valuables into the back of our Ford Expedition, and left with that.

So it certainly can be done.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:50   #12
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Wonderful insights here. Thanks all for sharing
Old 09-07-2017, 08:51   #13

We did it a couple times. We got rid of everything we could then used a storage unit for family heirlooms, photos, and a few other things that were dear to us. Extremely glad we did that. “This too shall pass”. Not everyone is a lifetime cruiser… in fact few are, and few cruise for that long either.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:04   #14

Boat: Freedom 45

we like living aboard and we have been working and living on the boat for 2 years
we need a couple days away
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:05   #15

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

I am working on this now also. Gave all family Bible, heirloom and photos to my daughter.
House owned since 1989 paid off 2001 will be leased. Couple of garage sales. First priced everything at about 60% off what you could buy it new for. Second priced at 80%, still have stuff left.
In about a month I will have a your choice $1.00 each or $200.00 take it all.

Retail Art Supply & Framing Business started in 1976. Trying to sell for last 5 years but looks more like a liquidation sale. (Low ROI, inventory intensive) Inventory at wholesale is in mid 6 digits offering at low 6 didgits. If liquidation it will start at 20% off. Then next week it will go to then 30% then 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% then it goes to Goodwill for tax write off.
Retail Business property bought in 1976 will lease or sell (not sure yet)

If both properties Leased after expenses It would provide 1.5 times my crusing budget.
Selling both both properties putting money in an annuity would provide me with about 15 years crusing budget. (above the 5 year reserve crusing budget in back)

Let me tell you it is much easier to buy Things than it is to Liquidate them.

Keep us posted on how you do it ...

PS I have put everything into a trust. Believe me you should really consider this.