Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 13:31   #1

Anyone considered "Berth Rental"?

As I was perusing ads for houses, apts, rooms, and roommates it suddenly hit me..... Ultimately, I want to cruise/crew internationally so I don't want to be stuck paying a long term lease if I'm not going to be around.

Does anyone rent berths (temporarily) to help pay the bills?

If so, what kind of rates would it be? I'm currently paying $500/month for a 2 bedroom house in the midwest and was looking to save even more to pay for sailing related expenses (gear, lessons). Plus I need an address to start my passport renewal process (6-8 weeks supposedly).
Old 07-07-2019, 14:24   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Anyone considered "Berth Rental"?

Not quite understanding the question....do you mean can you rent a berth from someone with a boat in a marina (seasonal at your latitude)? Some people do a boat BNB sort of thing on the East Coast. However, in general, it is unlikely someone would give you accesss to their whole boat, outside the BNB deal.
Old 07-07-2019, 14:34   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, berth **on** a boat, or **for** a boat?

You own and rent it out to someone else? Or you looking to be the renter?
Old 07-07-2019, 21:06   #4

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Sounds like PodShare – Affordable Co-living

/ed
Old 08-07-2019, 00:09   #5

Sorry... Has any boat owners who are in marina's for extended periods of time considered renting out their spare cabins?

I was looking for safe, alternative temporary housing for a couple months or until I can find a decent place.

I'm a west coaster (Honolulu, San Diego) and this midwest town is driving me nuts. I can't wait to leave this podunkville! Nothing but thieves.

And if Boca Raton, FL is another Redneckville, I'm gonna go crazy!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:31   #6

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergic2wind View Post
Sorry... Has any boat owners who are in marina's for extended periods of time considered renting out their spare cabins?
Sure. The alpha male of the liveaboards in my marina has done that. In fact, he then moved to sleeping with that bed-renter, while still charging her rent for the bedding she was not using!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:40   #7

A few possibilities depending on what you meant:

If you are looking to rent a boat in a slip, some airbnb do it but usually you can't take the boat out...it's purely for use as a temporary residence (be careful the marina may not approve and his insurance may not cover commercial operations)

If you are looking to rent a boat that you can take out, search for "charter boat". They usually do not come with a berth.

If you have a boat and just want to rent a berth, just about any commercial marina already does this. They typically do not allow sub-lease of a slip that you have leased and often include a clause that THEY can sub-lease if you are not using the slip (say you travel by boat for a week).

Alternatively, there are condo-marinas and sometimes they allow rental directly by the owners.

Edit: Based on your update:

Check with your marina and insurance. very similar to the airbnb issues listed above.

Also, be careful of taking the boat out of the slip with your renter onboard as you are now a commercial operation and that requires a licensed captain (it's a clear commercial contract, so the friends and family exclusion won't apply).
Old 08-07-2019, 02:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A few possibilities depending on what you meant:

If you are looking to rent a boat in a slip, some airbnb do it but usually you can't take the boat out...it's purely for use as a temporary residence (be careful the marina may not approve and his insurance may not cover commercial operations)

If you are looking to rent a boat that you can take out, search for "charter boat". They usually do not come with a berth.

If you have a boat and just want to rent a berth, just about any commercial marina already does this. They typically do not allow sub-lease of a slip that you have leased and often include a clause that THEY can sub-lease if you are not using the slip (say you travel by boat for a week).

Alternatively, there are condo-marinas and sometimes they allow rental directly by the owners.

Edit: Based on your update:

Check with your marina and insurance. very similar to the airbnb issues listed above.

Also, be careful of taking the boat out of the slip with your renter onboard as you are now a commercial operation and that requires a licensed captain (it's a clear commercial contract, so the friends and family exclusion won't apply).
Try again.....

The op wants to rent a spare bunk/cabin on someone else's boat........

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 08-07-2019, 06:00   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Sure. The alpha male of the liveaboards in my marina has done that. In fact, he then moved to sleeping with that bed-renter, while still charging her rent for the bedding she was not using!
A full service landlord! Sounds like he could've started charging more.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:04   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergic2wind View Post
I'm a west coaster (Honolulu, San Diego) and this midwest town is driving me nuts. I can't wait to leave this podunkville! Nothing but thieves.

And if Boca Raton, FL is another Redneckville, I'm gonna go crazy!
Hate to say it, but I reckon likely the Floridians will indeed drive you nuts.

Anyplace can be better if you have lots of money, but going without is a trial in the US if you don't enjoy rural life and/or roughing it.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Try again.....

The op wants to rent a spare bunk/cabin on someone else's boat........
Why try again...did you read until the end?
Old 08-07-2019, 07:23   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Why try again...did you read until the end?
Again, he wants to be a tenant not landlord.

As in, "can I sleep on your liveaboard boat for a few hundred per month?"
Old 08-07-2019, 09:25   #13

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

I am not knowledgable about all marina's in San Diego, but the one I have my boat in doesn't not allow 'leasing' space to allow a non-owner live aboard. I suspect it falls into the category of operating a commercial enterprise in the marina. To complicate the issue, approved live aboard tenets are charged a substantial per-person monthly fee for the privilege. That live aboard fee is in addition to the slip fee (which approaches $20/ft), so it's unlikely, even if it were allowed, you'd find a bargain living in someone else's boat. We have stayed aboard a Grand Banks trawler in Alameda which was rented out as an AirBnB. What set this apart from the run of the mill berthing arrangement, this was moored at a private dock behind the owners residence. Coronado Cays, south of the city of Coronado, might be a place to look for a live aboard rental arrangement.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

lol. Alpha male? Sounds like a 2 income household couple

Haven't we all been there?

The op wants to rent a spare bunk/cabin on someone else's boat........[/QUOTE]

^^^^ THAT.

I'm guessing Marinas have rules against that though.

Given the right arrangement, seemed like a good way for boat owners to make alittle money on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Hate to say it, but I reckon likely the Floridians will indeed drive you nuts.
Anyplace can be better if you have lots of money, but going without is a trial in the US if you don't enjoy rural life and/or roughing it.

I understand what you're saying, but Boca Raton is a rural area? I've only been to Tampa.

Overseas, sometimes we had to live on the economy (off base) and we had no plumbing for running water and no toilets. For water, we had a well, manual pump and buckets. My dad would go duck hunting to feed us. We burned a type of charcoal brick for heat during winter. It's not like that today, still...life is hard for our US servicemen/women raising a family, overseas or in the U.S. One of the best times of my life was living out of a car in Hawaii to save money. And I've lived in multiple rural areas in the mid-west. I love the winters too (Nebraska/Colorado)

Just trying to get to a more cosmopolitan area where White Power and Arian Brotherhood people/views aren't so predominant.

And I've surfed alot, but I want to learn to sail on the ocean. Been a dream of mine, since I was at the '92 Americas Cup. The Golf profession isn't what it used to be so it's time to live the dream.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser View Post
I am not knowledgable about all marina's in San Diego, but the one I have my boat in doesn't not allow 'leasing' space to allow a non-owner live aboard. I suspect it falls into the category of operating a commercial enterprise in the marina. To complicate the issue, approved live aboard tenets are charged a substantial per-person monthly fee for the privilege. That live aboard fee is in addition to the slip fee (which approaches $20/ft), so it's unlikely, even if it were allowed, you'd find a bargain living in someone else's boat. We have stayed aboard a Grand Banks trawler in Alameda which was rented out as an AirBnB. What set this apart from the run of the mill berthing arrangement, this was moored at a private dock behind the owners residence. Coronado Cays, south of the city of Coronado, might be a place to look for a live aboard rental arrangement.
Thanks for that info. I thought it might have to do with Marina regulations.

I lived and worked in San Diego (Biotech & Golf industry) for 35 years (Sorrento Valley, Santee, La Jolla UTC, OB). Used to eat at Humphreys on Shelter Island and admire all the boats. Left SD when gas got to >$5.00 a gallon. And property values ... During my short stint in construction, I helped build small condos (in Mira Mesa) and almost bought it for $80,000 It's now listed at ......$524,000....and that's after the housing bubble?!!! Just crazy.

I suppose living there was like living on a boat. Rolling electricity blackouts, water rationing, high fuel expenses.....

I do miss playing golf on Coronado, Thunderboats on Mission Bay, late night Roberto's burritos, the Fish Market, Bully's in Del Mar, Padres, and the Italian & Brazilian restaurants....jeez you got me all teary eyed....
Closed Thread