Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 14:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
An American in Canadian waters

A friend of ours has recently been allowed into Canadian waters..but with some tribulations...

“Yesterday, July 4, 2020, the Canadian government granted us the privilege to transit through British Columbian waters to Alaska. For several weeks before we monitored Canadian press to gauge their mood on allowing Americans to enter across the closed border and it was not heartening. They saw the increasing number of cases and the lack of social distancing as a sign that we were not taking necessary virus precautions. They also saw a number of Americans who were given permission to transit through Canada abuse their limited contact agreement by engaging in recreation and going to pubs. A Canadian epidemiologist seen on TV recommended that no Americans be allowed into Canada until there was either a vaccine or herd immunity.

At the border we pled our case and the Border Services agreed to allow us to transit as long as we had NO contact with Canadians. We can do that over 8 days because we have plenty of fuel and provisions. But there was one very troubling aspect of our interchange with the Border Services. They recommended that we strike our American flag because they feared we’d be harassed by Canadians not appreciative of having virus ner-do-wells amongst them. It was very sad to hear that we should not proudly fly our flag, especially on Independence Day. We’ve always found Canadians to be friendly and helpful. It appears their mood has changed.

As I pondered the situation, I came to realize that as we celebrate the INDEPENDENT spirit of our forefathers and the establishment of our Nation, it is time that we take our DEPENDENCE seriously. Now is not the time to independently make unhealthy decisions such as attending mass gatherings, not wearing a mask, and ignoring health warnings. Now is the time to depend on each other to practice the guidance given us by health care professionals.

On this Independence weekend, let’s all make a vow of dependence so we can rely on each other to do the right things needed to beat this virus.“
Old 05-07-2020, 15:16   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: An American in Canadian waters

Two weeks ago I overheard a VHF conversation between an American commercial fishing vessel and Victoria Coast Guard. The fisherman requested permission to navigate the Inside Passage on their way to Ketchikan from Salish Sea. Canadians asked documentation number, hailing port name, and something else, and immediately gave them an ID number to be referred to if stopped by officials. They did not offer any advise, such as regarding displaying a flag. Just wished them safe passage. The entire exchange lasted a minute or two.
Old 05-07-2020, 15:18   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

As a Canadian I can tell you the resentment potentially aimed at your friends (hence the warning to hide the American flag) is not specifically targetting Americans. There are plenty of news reports of people from one province expressing anger when visitors from other Canadian provinces have come in.

I don't condone or support this fear-based attitude, but I do understand the reasons. Canada, unlike much of the USA, actually did shut down, and has largely followed public health directions to battle this pandemic. Not all, and we've certainly done a lot wrong, but overall the response has been fairly cohesive and largely in line with the science and the collective good of all.

This has caused massive financial and emotional pain. Some people will never recover from the cure. But it appears we as a nation are winning this battle. Many places are easing out of the restrictions now and opening up tentatively and slowly, but opening up.

So it is understandable that when people, who have sacrificed so much for the common good, see people who they believe are flouting the rules, well... it is understandable that their reaction may be rather unCanadian.
Old 05-07-2020, 16:05   #4

Boat: Lancer 36

"Medical professionals" told us it was just a bad flu; that we didn't need nor should wear masks, that travel bans were unnecessary and racist, etc. etc. Meanwhile other medical professionals claim that science has not shown that the novel coronavirus is even responsible for the various manifestations of disease; that people were intentionally killed by unnecessary intubation for vents; that deaths unrelated to COVID were counted as COVID deaths etc. etc. There is more going on than meets the eye. Irrational fear is often used to control agendas, while flaunting rules is generally not well considered.Most Canadians are sincerely nice people, but they are not immune to the media reports regarding COVID that paint the US (particularly in red states) as out of control hotbeds of COVID.
Old 05-07-2020, 16:10   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450F

I also do not condone this resentment, and I do appreciate the sentiment of the friend of AA3JY.

I'm sad that it was suggested to strike the flag. I would hope that's rather extreme and not necessary.

On a side point, if I was to enter US waters I would be expected to follow US rules. It's not just a courtesy, but it is the local law.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ules-1.5011388
Old 05-07-2020, 16:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
A friend of ours has recently been allowed into Canadian waters..but with some tribulations...

“Yesterday, July 4, 2020, the Canadian government granted us the privilege to transit through British Columbian waters to Alaska. For several weeks before we monitored Canadian press to gauge their mood on allowing Americans to enter across the closed border and it was not heartening. They saw the increasing number of cases and the lack of social distancing as a sign that we were not taking necessary virus precautions. They also saw a number of Americans who were given permission to transit through Canada abuse their limited contact agreement by engaging in recreation and going to pubs. A Canadian epidemiologist seen on TV recommended that no Americans be allowed into Canada until there was either a vaccine or herd immunity.

At the border we pled our case and the Border Services agreed to allow us to transit as long as we had NO contact with Canadians. We can do that over 8 days because we have plenty of fuel and provisions. But there was one very troubling aspect of our interchange with the Border Services. They recommended that we strike our American flag because they feared we’d be harassed by Canadians not appreciative of having virus ner-do-wells amongst them. It was very sad to hear that we should not proudly fly our flag, especially on Independence Day. We’ve always found Canadians to be friendly and helpful. It appears their mood has changed.

As I pondered the situation, I came to realize that as we celebrate the INDEPENDENT spirit of our forefathers and the establishment of our Nation, it is time that we take our DEPENDENCE seriously. Now is not the time to independently make unhealthy decisions such as attending mass gatherings, not wearing a mask, and ignoring health warnings. Now is the time to depend on each other to practice the guidance given us by health care professionals.

On this Independence weekend, let’s all make a vow of dependence so we can rely on each other to do the right things needed to beat this virus.“
Let me say a bit more about my friend..he’s not only a high school classmate but also a retired USCG Admiral..so being told to strike our Nations ‘Colors’ while in Canadian waters is probably a major ‘Big Pill’ for him to swallow..
Old 05-07-2020, 17:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We found there was little recognition in the Caribbean between cruise ship passengers and cruisers on private pleasure craft. We were all treated as typhoid Mary. In fact, the cruising community in the Caribbean was and still is the least vector for transmission. All you can do is be greatfull to be allowed through and follow any required Protecall no matter how illogical or crazy. The panic is being driven at a political and gut fear level. Yes, the positive rate is up. So is the testing rate - duh. But the death factor is way down but that doesn’t sell news.
Old 05-07-2020, 17:26   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
"Medical professionals" told us it was just a bad flu; that we didn't need nor should wear masks, that travel bans were unnecessary and racist, etc. etc. Meanwhile other medical professionals claim that science has not shown that the novel coronavirus is even responsible for the various manifestations of disease; that people were intentionally killed by unnecessary intubation for vents; that deaths unrelated to COVID were counted as COVID deaths etc. etc. There is more going on than meets the eye. Irrational fear is often used to control agendas, while flaunting rules is generally not well considered.Most Canadians are sincerely nice people, but they are not immune to the media reports regarding COVID that paint the US (particularly in red states) as out of control hotbeds of COVID.

Wow never got that impression from any sane source. Re just a bad flu
Old 05-07-2020, 17:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Wow never got that impression from any sane source. Re just a bad flu
Well I agree with you that Fauci is not sane, but he said it and a lot of people were listening.
Old 05-07-2020, 17:37   #10

Re: positive rate....in Connecticut, the bureau of prisons tested roughly 4000 staff and inmates, roughly 850 tested positive, only 2 were symptomatic (who had recently been transferred in.) The testing protocols are bs science and there are way too many false positives. How many of those swabs shoved up people's noses had COVID contamination from improper production? At any rate, the fatality rate is about 0.29 per the CDC, most of whom were on death's door already from other issues. WHY is this being blown up out of proportion, ask yourself.
Old 05-07-2020, 18:10   #11

Boat: Hunter 386

Having to strike your flag is a bit sad, but on the other hand US license plates have gotten a few people into trouble in Canada: some because they decided stopping in Banff was part of "drive straight to Alaska" and others because even though they were Canadians who have returned with their US registered cars, people are simply pissed at the Americans who decided to abuse the privilege of transiting and are taking it out on the cars.

There are stupid people on all sides of this, and as usual, the idiots are ruining it for everyone else. Striking the flag and making a quick transit is probably just prudent even if it galls. It could be worse and he could have been denied altogether.
Old 05-07-2020, 21:10   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

This news story illustrates the general tenor and feeling around the issue. Canadians have (in general) worked hard and sacrificed much to control Covid-19. The last thing any of us wants is to see all this progress slide backwards due to irresponsible travelers.

Old 05-07-2020, 21:31   #13

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

so much hate
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 05-07-2020, 22:05   #14

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

If someone spots an American flag in Canadian waters while the border is closed, they will report it to Coast Guard, who will inform RCMP, and they will stop the ship. Is it really worth the hassles just to show your flag?
Old 05-07-2020, 22:22   #15

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

There would be about a 0.00% chance Id strike the American flag from my vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
If someone spots an American flag in Canadian waters while the border is closed, they will report it to Coast Guard, who will inform RCMP, and they will stop the ship. Is it really worth the hassles just to show your flag?

The border is only closed to non essential, reporting a American flag is silly and Id hope the RCMP would tell the caller to quit wasting their time.

Hassle? Folks gave their life for it, "hassle" is no factor
Closed Thread

Tags
water