Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2022, 09:47   #1

Arrow Sandy Hooks to Cape May

Hi,

We would like to go from Sandy Hooks to Cape May in our 42ft Sunseeker in July. I am looking for information about distance/time and marina advices.

I've been looking for threads about this but could not find any. I am new here, I guess my searching skills will improve !

Thank you in advance.

S
Stephe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 09:59   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Sandy Hooks to Cape May

Do you plan to run outside for the whole trip or take the ICW (after Manasquan Inlet)?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 10:01   #3

We have not decided yet. We're doing it for fun, so I would be glad to hear what your suggestions would be !
Stephe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 10:05   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

In a faster powerboat, given a decent weather window I see no reason to deal with the NJ ICW unless you've got a desired stopping point along the way. If memory serves, Sandy Hook to Cape May is about 110nm. Assuming fuel range and cost are a non-issue, that's a case of wait for a day of good weather, jump up on plane as you clear Sandy Hook and you should be pulling into Cape May in 6 - 7 hours depending on just how fast you can run.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 10:39   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

110nm is about right from SH to CM.

If you feel it's too choppy, you could always duck into Manasquan after ~25nm from SH. Will probably be a bit warmer in Barnegat Bay/ICW than outside, but very flat.

Your route depends on how much time you have for the trip and if you want to make stops.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 01:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Stephe.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 04:01   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

The Waterway Guides (paper and digital versions) are a great resource for the type of information you're looking for. Marinas, distances, bridges, depths, repair facilities, etc.

Highly recommend it for planning your trip.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 06:15   #8

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

The best info for running the ICW in NJ will probably be fron the local assistance tower captains.

I was one in the Cape May area for 15 years and knew the channels blindfolded...and the charts and waterway guides really didn't help much in the tough spots. Not their fault because things changed by the time they get published and bought. Don't know the lead/lag from report to documented online.

Along with knowing trouble spots is if there are any bridge outages, and the Tides for the back bay areas with those trouble spots. Running the top six hours of a high tide is usually your best bet to stay out of trouble.

Also most other boaters opinions are only worth a quick listen, every day each summer I ungrounded even locals who exclaimed they WERE in the channel as they walked around their boat.

Nothing like knowing the waters when you run them 24X7 all summer and much of the rest of the year. So don't be afraid to call either of the major companies and try and see how long they have run the stretch you are about to. I would get calls all the time and I would travel to their boat I I could so they could mark their charts or place waypoints on their plotters. Most didn't mind my rather steep charge of a beer or two.

Which brings up the point...if you do run inside and even running outside it's a good idea to have towing insurance.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 06:47   #9

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

Sandy Hook to Cape May - 125 (statute via Atlantic)
Sandy Hook to Manasquan - 30 (statute)
Sandy Hook to Atlantic City - 75 (statute via Atlantic)
Atlantic City to Cape May - 49 (statute via Atlantic)
Manasaquan to Cape May - 106 (statute via Atlantic)
Sandy Hook to Atlantic City - 100 (Statute via ICW from Manasquan)
Atlantic City to Cape May - 54 (Statute via ICW) (All from various year's logs)
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 06:57   #10

In July, it is likely that the wind is from the SW and it could get lumpy as the day progresses. In other words, a very early start from Sandy Hook could help but then perhaps not.. if it's been blowing that way for days.

I've recently heard from someone I known that the ICW route is doable and...get this..."lovely". I don't know about it !

I'd keep Atlantic City's location in mind as it is visible for a long way and the route in and out is very clear. It' becomes a bit odd to run into the harbor at last so be on your toes then. Odd ?? The harbor's entry channel markers are near land and there are often lots of recreational fisherpeople with fishing lines out and in the channel.

Dock space is usually slim to none in Cape May and anchoring is minimalist. Call ahead ! Failing that, an option is to go north once inside Cape May but that is also, I think, the ICW. There's a restaurant just inside the bridge but the current through there can be a challenge. We have stayed at a very nice and current-less facility behind Wildwood.

I don't need to go into Manasquan again and for you, it not very far south of Sandy Hook. It can be treacherous with its big current movements. However, the restaurants there are GOOD
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:16   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I was one in the Cape May area for 15 years and knew the channels blindfolded...and the charts and waterway guides really didn't help much in the tough spots. Not their fault because things changed by the time they get published and bought. Don't know the lead/lag from report to documented online.
Depths certainly do change due to silting and such, but the Waterway Guide emails out weekly Notices to Mariners which are quite helpful in that regard (also reporting the latest info on missing buoys, wrecks, dredging operations and so forth).

Meanwhile, marina locations, boat repair facilities, distances, bridge locations and clearances don't change much. So I still think that the Waterway Guide is still an excellent planning tool.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:44   #12

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
Depths certainly do change due to silting and such, but the Waterway Guide emails out weekly Notices to Mariners which are quite helpful in that regard (also reporting the latest info on missing buoys, wrecks, dredging operations and so forth).

Meanwhile, marina locations, boat repair facilities, distances, bridge locations and clearances don't change much. So I still think that the Waterway Guide is still an excellent planning tool.

Bob
Sure it's a good planning tool...but up to date...lake in the last couple hours to 24, nothing like the captain that works it for a living. He can cay if the bridge is on schedule whether there is a wreck in the channel, or a last minute regatta... I call that the best info available...but true not the only.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 17:48   #13

I’ve boated the waters of NJ for 40+ years and while we’re now in Florida I still have a fondness for the Jersey shore. If you’re doing it for fun consider going in Manasquan Inlet and running the Point Pleasant Canal into Barnegat Bay and spending a day anchored at Tices Shoal on the bay side of Island Beach State Park. Very popular lots and lots of boats including free pump outs and often time food vendors going boat to boat. Plus there’s a wooden boardwalk thru the dunes to the beach. The anchorage is shallow you don’t need a dinghy to get ashore. If you didn’t want to anchor overnight I’m sure you could get a slip in either Toms River or Forked River. Check conditions and then head out Barnegat Inlet which is just a little bit South. You could stay inside to Atlantic City. Absecon is a good way out. The ICW below A/C is pretty aweful. While I’ve done it multiple times I’d avoid it. With the wrong tide or wind you’ll find it impassible. (and you did say this was for fun) Wildwood just above Cape May is a nice stop. Come in at the Cape May inlet.
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 02:04   #14

Boat: Freedom 32

Defender marine sells skipper Bob's ICW guide NY to Florida for $17. It'll give you mile by mile free anchorages and info.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:53   #15

Boat: GibSea 472

Going outside is a nice ride in good weather. Just sail at least 10 miles offshore to avoid tne numerous crab pots. A nice place to anchor is just across Cape May at Henlopen, a vast port of refuge calm, empty and beautyfull, where fishing might be bountyfull, when blue fish abound.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote