Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 08:23   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Re: San Diego to Blaine,WA = 1338nm

Oops, I now realize you meant the Orego/Washington border not the Oregon/California border. Duhh on me.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 08:39   #17

Thanks for the great writeup Delmarray. You averaged good daily progress for coming up the coast I would say.
Hatches: Yeah, I had some offshore style , not sure if they were Lewmar or Bomar, but the type with 4 dogs per hatch and reinforcing bars under the glass. Hove to (Or trying anyway) in big steep seas they leaked with every wave that covered the boat. They didn't leak with a hose prior to leaving. The gaskets were good. Boats flex.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 10:09   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
I am confused. You mentioned Brookings before you crossed the Oregon Border. Did you mean Fort Bragg or Little River?
My explanation may be out of order but it definitely was Brookings, AKA Chetco River/Harbor. I really don't like Cresent City, too many flies around the seal/bird islands.
I wanted to make sure I had enough fuel to get all the way to Neah Bay, if need be. I counted on the bars being closed along the Oregon/Washington coast, which most were to non commercial vessels.

The big rollers at sea may not seem too bad but when they reach the shallows, they become steep. And they were around 10' off the coast of Oregon. Even Grays Harbor had warnings when we arrived, but passable.
Old 14-09-2016, 13:42   #19

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
...BTW duct tape would have just been washed away with the waves we were getting. I should have taken pictures of my Genoa sheets that were laying up on the fore deck. They looked like I hit them with a pressure washer.
I happened on a good product last week... Gorilla Brand clear repair tape. Gorilla Tape 1.88 in. x 9 yds. Clear Repair Tape-60270 - The Home Depot... I used it to repair ripped dodger canvas and applied some to a damp surface in the rain... worked like a charm.
Old 14-09-2016, 14:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I happened on a good product last week... Gorilla Brand clear repair tape. Gorilla Tape 1.88 in. x 9 yds. Clear Repair Tape-60270 - The Home Depot... I used it to repair ripped dodger canvas and applied some to a damp surface in the rain... worked like a charm.
Well, with that, Wessex epoxy and bungee cords we should be able to keep anything afloat!
Old 14-09-2016, 14:20   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Well, with that, Wessex epoxy and bungee cords we should be able to keep anything afloat!
LOL. You forgot 3M 5200 and sheetrock screws.
Old 03-02-2017, 19:24   #22

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Hello Delmarrey, interesting about the PBR\Swifts, in 1968 i was working for Morrison-Knutson and one of the locations i was at was "tanmeway"in correct spelling in know, which was at the entrance to the Perfume river, which winds up to Hue, the old capital of V.N., our camp was at the entrance and there was a PBR base there, wonder if you were there ?
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 16:05   #23

Hi Doug,
No! I flew into Da Nang when I first arrived but move to my base after a few days.
For 6 months I was on the W. side of the peninsula in a group of Islands close to the Cambodia river. There was a prison camp. Close to us called An Toi. I was on an APL for a couple weeks, then onto a repair ship (Tutuila) with a pontoon, servicing the PBRs and swifts as they came down river. Later we moved up the Saigon river close to Saigon in a town called Na Bea. Worked on PBRs,Swifts & small tugs there.
Old 26-12-2018, 08:41   #24

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

My hats off to you. We brought Mana from Channel Islands in Oxnard to Humboldt Bay a year ago September and we motored also the entire way. It was a hell of a ride. I assume when we sell Mana that we will continue the journey back to the Seattle area where we bought her for the same reason you did, plus no one down south wants a pilothouse.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego