Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 13:00   #1

Sailing log apps

Anyone found a good ios app to use as a sailing log? I tried Saild but they don't keep it up and don't respond and it's broken. I simply want to log my miles and a description; nothing fancy.
rnelson010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 18:10   #2

Re: Sailing log apps

I like Day 1 along with pasting in a personalized daily template. Day 1 also ties in geoloc for photos saves typing. Handy as well for collecting project details for enhancements, measurements, etc.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 04:53   #3

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

I don't find an app named Day 1 in the Play Store, is that an Apple only thing?
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 06:38   #4

Not sure on android. "day one journal" search term finds the vendor in Apple Store. I can't overstate the importance of photos within a modern ships log.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 06:48   #5

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Okay, I think Day Journal Personal Diary is the Android version of it. I was kind of hoping it would be more sailing oriented though. The Android version seems to have bad reviews... probably not made by the same people.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 07:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelson010 View Post
......................... and it's broken.

I simply want to log my miles and a description; nothing fancy.
How about a log book and a pen or pencil? If that's all you want to do, and an app is broken, you'll find paper doesn't break down too much. Assuming it doesn't rain inside your boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 08:00   #7

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
How about a log book and a pen or pencil? If that's all you want to do, and an app is broken, you'll find paper doesn't break down too much. Assuming it doesn't rain inside your boat.
Paper log book is not searchable and if it gets wet it becomes illegible.

Not aware of any apps that are even partially useful.

We use evernote with a new entry for each month. We use key=value pairs for each entry seperated by the date. With keys like bilgepumpcount=1; enginestarthours=3456; etc. If you need a new key then just create it.

This system is simple and adaptable. You can dump it in a spreadsheet or use a script to take the entire log and search for things like bilgepump counts, espar run hours, engine hours, fuel consumption, part failures etc. Easy to see when oil changes or head maintenance is pending.

We dump each months log into the ships manual, as a seperate latex file, the ships manual then rebuilds each time an update occurs.

The whole shebang is backed up and distributed to all our devices in the cloud and onboard to our nas, even to git over HF and pactor. We also print the log and safety / mission critical parts of the ships manual.

We get the benefit of a manual log with the searchability of an electronic log. Our log provenance is irrefutable as every change is a git commit.

We have 3 years of logs and the time saved in planning maintenance is certainly worth it. It takes no more effort to maintain than a manual log as its automated. Cheap too. Less cost than buying a fancy log notebook each year.

You could just use excel or notebook and dropbox to achieve the same benefits. Cheap, simple and reliable.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 08:51   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt, Samoa, 47

LD-Log - GPS Track Logging App for Android

LD-LOG is an android app, built for Sailing it is all we have used for the last 3 years. You can set up your own sail inventory on it, it logs engine and sailing hours separately. You can adjust the logging intervals to suit, we use 10 minutes, normal cruising or 30 on passage.

The files can be expoterd as text or html, and gpx or klm so you can put the log onto a google map.

Try it they do a free version and a paid for one, we used the free one for six months before upgrading.

I do not think you could ask for more, our tablet which lives by the helm has the log, grib weather app and Transas Chart plotterincluding AIS on it and is now my right hand for navigation. It would never go back to a paper log. Its just to much hassle, trying to keep it neat. Ibcan post routes share routes as maps, let guests have a log copy of their week that they can show friends on Google, try that on a paper log book.

I have the tablet back up daily automatically to the pc as a back up, and we also run logging on the pc which logs the data such as nmea depth, wind etc with Position. But this is only useful historically if you want to work out your polars or see what the conditions were at a given time
Andy on Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 09:05   #9

Boat: Van de Stadt, Samoa, 47

We use LD LOG which is on android, we have used it daily for the years, there is a free version or a cheap paid for one.

Simply brilliant you can specify your sail suite it logs engine and sailing hours separately.

Try it.
Andy on Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing