Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2010, 23:54   #1

Sailing from Hawaii ?

I've search for hours, but no one seems to have any information on sailing from Hawaii to US/Mexico, or Hawaii to the South Pacific.

I am curious as to know what the best months are to travel from Hawaii to either the North/South American west coast or the South Pacific (NZ, Australia, Etc.).

Thanks!
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 00:10   #2

Huge number of boats do the trip in late summer - returning from the PacCup or TransPac races. July-Aug-Sept. After the winter Alaskan storms. You head north for a long ways so hurricanes are not an issue. Orbit the NPac High. Earlier, May-June, is probably okay too. Check what Jimmy says.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 02:19   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Use the custom Google search in the small "Search" pull-down menu.

"to Hawaii"

"from Hawaii"
Old 28-03-2010, 09:12   #4

Thanks daddle.

And Hud3, the custom google search spits out a bunch of general information, but no specifics on what months would be the best to sail.

I know that the pacific high can be used to travel from the west coast of the Americas to Hawaii and back, and that going to Hawaii is a generally comfortable trip up through July. What I can't seem to find anywhere is anyone saying something like 'I would never sail from Hawaii to Mexico in December,' or 'the route from Hawaii to Fiji in August/September is calm and clear.' I'm just curious about what months, in general, anyone has sailed from Hawaii to anywhere else in the world.
Old 28-03-2010, 10:42   #5

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Buy the "Pacific Crossing Guide" by the RCC Pilotage Foundation and/or "World Cruising Routes" by Cornell. Everything you ever wanted to know.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 15:40   #6

Will do, thanks!
Old 28-03-2010, 17:05   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I'm down for a quote here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Thanks daddle.

What I can't seem to find anywhere is anyone saying something like 'I would never sail from Hawaii to Mexico in December,' or 'the route from Hawaii to Fiji in August/September is calm and clear.'
I would never sail from Hawaii to Mexico in December.
Old 06-04-2010, 22:07   #8

Boat: Able 50
So many possibilities, anyway here goes.

Hawaii - Mexico in December would be OK as long as you are ready for the cold. There won't be any sunny days in t shirts and the swells will be up. Don't sail North of 23 and have plenty of fuel for the last few days when the wind runs out. Don't go between August and October because of hurricanes.

Hawaii - USA Avoid November to March. The northern storms most likely will get you. Very ugly and cold too.

Hawaii - West Avoid November to March for the same reasons of the Northern storms. It would only be the very Southern edge of them but still no fun.

Hawaii - South Don't cross the Equator before 1 May because of cyclones. Once down there you have to be out of the cyclone area by 1 December. That means anywhere North of the equator, anywhere South of but near near the equator like Kiribati, anywhere in NZ, anywhere in Australia South of Bundaberg.

So there are a few general ideas.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 08:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post

I know that the pacific high can be used to travel from the west coast of the Americas to Hawaii and back, and that going to Hawaii is a generally comfortable trip up through July. What I can't seem to find anywhere is anyone saying something like 'I would never sail from Hawaii to Mexico in December,' or 'the route from Hawaii to Fiji in August/September is calm and clear.' I'm just curious about what months, in general, anyone has sailed from Hawaii to anywhere else in the world.
I'll let you know in a month. Heading over to Oahu 5/3 to outfit and leave around the 12th for Morro Bay,Ca.
Also I have started a small blog at Profile Photo | 1st trip Oahu to California. I'll be posting there on the way back as, I too, did not find diddley squat re: Hawaii to California
Loco Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 08:23   #10

You should be OK at that time. Just be ready for the cold from about day 5 on. Expect 20 - 30 knots.
Old 30-04-2010, 08:40   #11
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
The clipper race came across the pacific from China to SF, which would have taken them on a route close to Hawai'i to Ca and the conditions were mammoth. Like 60' waves and 70 knot winds, so I think March and April are out...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 09:07   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco Gato View Post
I'll let you know in a month. Heading over to Oahu 5/3 to outfit and leave around the 12th for Morro Bay,Ca.
Also I have started a small blog at Profile Photo | 1st trip Oahu to California. I'll be posting there on the way back as, I too, did not find diddley squat re: Hawaii to California
I have to tell you, there is plenty of information out there about the Hawaii to West Coast trip: Ocean Passages of the World, Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes, The Pacific Crossing Guide, and many others. Another resource is the Pacific Cup Handbook. While this is mostly about preparation and racing to Hawaii, there is a good section about getting back.

As folks have said here, do avoid the winter/spring storms. Things can get pretty nasty as you approach the coast. That said, I've done the trip back to San Francisco three times now and had a great time. If you are curious, I've got my daily (more or less) log/blogs from these passages on my blog (VALIS -- look at the Categories to find the Hawaii stuff), and passage photos on the website (VALIS - Photos)
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 09:09   #13

If you want to go in March or April then head for Mexico. Way more time but way more comfy.
Old 30-04-2010, 11:28   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bram,
Hard to believe someone hasn't covered this before. Sailing from Hawaii to North America is best done in the summer starting in June. I did it in August and had the most pleasant sail to the Seattle area. It was a non-El Nino year. Your best route is sailing straight north with a little bit of westing on a starboard tack close reach. When you are about even with the Oregon and California border then look for the wind to change a bit and start pushing you toward the coast. You'll turn to starboard and go on a port tack starting at a close reach and finally ending in a run toward the coast. Don't turn toward the coast until that happens unless you have lots and lots of fuel.
Good luck in your research.
regards,
Old 11-05-2010, 00:48   #15

Location: I currently live in Denver, CO. Family in Florida, San Diego and Hawaii
Boat: None at this time - crewing this year to see what I want to buy.
My fiance (great cook) and I would like to crew from Oahu to the mainland in from July through August. Where is the best place to find such an opportunity? Is there a classified section on this website?? or do ya just post it anywhere??
John
ncjhughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, west coast, Australia, Mexico