Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: New York to the Med

Simon, there are no cheap marinas in NYC. If you want cheap you'll need to anchor out and then there are no dingy docks, catch-22, you'll just be passing through. A guest mooring up in City Island might be cheapest. Trish, I think you know all the US NOAA charts are used as the basis for everything else here, so the "best" charts are all the same charts from the same source. There are many programs that will let you use them on all sorts of computers and pads, any software that makes you happy would do the job. If you want things like tide information, that's going to depend on the software, not the charts. Routing, predictions, again, the software. Daylight readable screens? Back to real navionics, because the consumer stuff just won't give you bright screens. And if you take a close look at the charts, the NYC/LI area is peppered with plenty of "general" and "special" anchorages. The latter tend to be controlled access mooring fields, the former are where you can drop the hook for free. The Coast Pilot will go into the other differences between them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31   #17

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII, 2004

Hi hellosailor
Thank you for replying. I didn't know the NOAA charts were the bible but had an inkling they would be. I am interest in this Coast Pilot, that's what it's called? I can find it under that can I. Can you flesh out what you know about the electronic charts, I've only used Jeppersen chips for my Raymarine SL 70 in the past, but am keen to find out what else is available, what I need to use them fully & so on.
I am really familiar with areas 30 degrees north & below but up north, I am a true beginner so anything you've got that will help me on my way, make my trip enjoyable & safe, I'd really appreciate.
Thanks a heap
Trish
Trish Affleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Trish, anytime "Here be Dragons!" isn't sufficiently detailed information about something, the rest of the story (regulations, minefields, fish havens) gets listed in the Coast Pilots, which are produced to cover separate regions.
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Charting and Geodesy and the link there to
NOAA's Office of Coast Survey should give you a good start on what is available online. The charts, and a number of free or inexpensive readers, can all be downloaded, best on a broadband connection.

Since the US government's copyrights belong to "we the people" rather than "the crown" they have always been freely used as the basis for commercial charting here. When that was done by photography and lithography to make chart books, there were errors from the production process. But now that it is digital, the charts are all pretty much true to the source although there may be differences in how they are presented, bitmap versus vector, overlays, additions, etc. You can also buy the digital charts on CD from several sources. Sometimes there are extras (i.e. you can search for/by names instead of just looking) sometimes, not.

You can expect debris (sometimes houses, literally) and shoaling all the way up the coast, as Tropical Storm Sandy re-arranged pretty much everything on the shore for a thousand miles.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45   #19

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

Good Day.

Sounds like a good plan apart from the the time of year. I feel sure that you will be hit with bad weather. The seasons that are in the book are not realistic. They are based on OLD out of date statistics.

We left USA in APRIL and followed the GULF STREAM We got hit with realy nasty weather and much damage done to the yacht.

We wish you fair winds and calm seas.

Good luck

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:05   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Affleck View Post
Hi there, thanks for that. So there was plenty of traffic on the rhumb line of around 39 degrees north going both east to west & west to east? Constant watch is a necessity I know, every 20 minutes, it doesn't take long & you're a sad, careless statistic.
Thanks
Trish
Trish,

We sailed Guadeloupe (Carib) to the Azores, then onwards to Europe. All the way, except the Azores to the EU, the cargo intensity was impressive.

Constant constant. Just think how many miles a 20+ kts cargo will cover in 20 minutes, then think your horizon is 4 to 6 miles at best. Carry AIS and radar and keep CONSTANT watch (unless singlehanding sure).

April can be early. We sailed in June and in the vicinity of the Azores the weather was (censored).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New York to the Med

I must sail different routes... lucky if I see 2 or 3 ships in 2400 miles... in fact my '07 crossing SXM - Azores saw no ships whatsoever...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 13:16   #22

Quote:
I plan to sail NY harbour, go through the East River to Long Island Sound, onto Newport, Rhode Island, then Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket Islands before heading to the Azores.
We really enjoyed Mystic and Stonington harbours. Not sure how far up you can go with a cat in Mystic, but you can pick up a mooring in Stonington for sure. We really enjoyed Stonington for its New England charm - explore the town, the beach, and just wonder around and read plaques on houses

Oh, and Defender warehouse is not far from there. When sailing US East Coast we usually wait until Connecticut to buy

Further down Woods Hole is a must see for its Oceanographic Institution made famous by Clive Cussler and just in general amazing for all the work they are doing. The anchorage and mooring field are very pretty as well. Just watch out for strong tidal currents and plan dinghy rides accordingly.

A lot of people say that Block Island is a destination in itself, but we found it quite barren. Maybe it was because we stopped there in end October...

When visiting Martha's Vineyard and the swell allows you to, anchor by the Menemsha beach and get immersed in Vineyard's culture. We enjoyed it much more than Lagoon or Edgartown.

In general tidal currents are quite strong and towards Nantucket buoys change locations quite frequently. Listen carefully to Securite's.

Get a guide, e.g. Waterways Guide or Reeds. It would help you with getting yourself oriented.

Enjoy the trip!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 14:19   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I must sail different routes... lucky if I see 2 or 3 ships in 2400 miles... in fact my '07 crossing SXM - Azores saw no ships whatsoever...
When you look up the Routes you will see the shipping lanes, they only make an exception for ice months. There may be no lanes and no crossing of lanes going from SXM to the Azores perhaps?

Much as I admit I do not know what SXM stands for, if you do not see any ship on a crossing then one more option is you are not watching.

The only crossing we saw no ship (but we did see their lights by night) was Galapagos to Gambiers. Otherwise we meet from half a dozen to a couple dozens on each.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
When you look up the Routes you will see the shipping lanes, they only make an exception for ice months. There may be no lanes and no crossing of lanes going from SXM to the Azores perhaps?

Much as I admit I do not know what SXM stands for, if you do not see any ship on a crossing then one more option is you are not watching.

The only crossing we saw no ship (but we did see their lights by night) was Galapagos to Gambiers. Otherwise we meet from half a dozen to a couple dozens on each.

b.
Hi barnakiel,
You make laugh. I too have no idea what SXM means & was beginning to cringe a little.
I too have rarely been anywhere without encountering traffic in varying quantities.
Have you done the NY to the Azores & then the Med trip & if so when & how did it go.
Thanks
Trish
Old 05-02-2013, 15:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Hi again boatman61
so you have done the trip from NY to the Med via the Azores. If you have, can you tell me when you went, how it went & did you or anyone you know who's done it, used Herb Hinkleberg as a weather guide. He was still active a couple of years ago & I would love to use him but he was in his early 70's then I think.
Thanks
Trish
Old 05-02-2013, 15:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
We really enjoyed Mystic and Stonington harbours. Not sure how far up you can go with a cat in Mystic, but you can pick up a mooring in Stonington for sure. We really enjoyed Stonington for its New England charm - explore the town, the beach, and just wonder around and read plaques on houses

Oh, and Defender warehouse is not far from there. When sailing US East Coast we usually wait until Connecticut to buy

Further down Woods Hole is a must see for its Oceanographic Institution made famous by Clive Cussler and just in general amazing for all the work they are doing. The anchorage and mooring field are very pretty as well. Just watch out for strong tidal currents and plan dinghy rides accordingly.

A lot of people say that Block Island is a destination in itself, but we found it quite barren. Maybe it was because we stopped there in end October...

When visiting Martha's Vineyard and the swell allows you to, anchor by the Menemsha beach and get immersed in Vineyard's culture. We enjoyed it much more than Lagoon or Edgartown.

In general tidal currents are quite strong and towards Nantucket buoys change locations quite frequently. Listen carefully to Securite's.

Get a guide, e.g. Waterways Guide or Reeds. It would help you with getting yourself oriented.

Enjoy the trip!
Hi Katsuisha
I read your thread with interest. I have no idea where any of these places are but hunt them down. Yes what would we do without Defender.
If you've got any info the guides, charts & anything else you used that you found helpful & those you didn't, I'd love to hear about them.
Thanks for taking the time
Trish
Old 05-02-2013, 15:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
Good Day.

Sounds like a good plan apart from the the time of year. I feel sure that you will be hit with bad weather. The seasons that are in the book are not realistic. They are based on OLD out of date statistics.

We left USA in APRIL and followed the GULF STREAM We got hit with realy nasty weather and much damage done to the yacht.

We wish you fair winds and calm seas.

Good luck

Peter
Hi rivonia

Thanks for answering. So you've done the crossing & in April & feel that later would be unsafe, I'm supposing due to global warming. I'd like to hear more.
Anything you can tell me about what you used but way of charts, guides & anything else, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Trish
Old 05-02-2013, 15:31   #28

Quote:
Hi sestina
Boatman61 has got it in one. It's because I want to enjoy NY Harbour on my boat. It seems to me a very sexy idea to sail past the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island on my very own boat. You hear about it, read about it & now I have the opportunity to do it. Then to go through East River under all those bridges into Long Island Sound & onto Rhode Island & Newport, the home of sailing, just sounds like something really worth doing. Not to mention Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket Islands.
I'm Australian & whilst I've been to NY a couple of times, the opportunity to see it from the water, sounds too good to pass up.
I do have Jimmy Cornell's book. I concluded that one way or another, I need to get up to about 40 degrees north to catch the Gulf Stream & winds from the west in June. If you've got info to the contrary or any useful info for that matter, I'll gladly listen to it.
Thanks
Trish
So many places to visit in these waters here are just a few ideas.

New York is always interesting to me and I am amazed at how the sky line constantly changes. Even from just year to year. Here is some of the things I've seen on the water too in just one trip there:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: AN ELECTRIC SAILBOAT CRUISE TO NEW YORK: PART TWO
Last October I anchored on the north side of Ellis Island in good holding and a beautiful night time view of lower Manhattan. You can see exactly where I dropped the hook in the Google Earth photo in this post:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: AUTUMN CRUISE UP THE HUDSON RIVER 2012
It was a little rolly (mostly from the Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty Ferries) at first but, in the evening things quiet down quite a bit.

When heading up the East River I try to be at southern tip of Manhattan (The Battery) around two hours after low water there and ride the current up into Long Island Sound. Last fall I was motoring under electric propulsion because it was pretty windless that day (I actually rounded the battery there at three hours after low water). Got a video here of what it was like :
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ELECTRO SAILING AROUND NEW YORK: Part Two: Riding the East River Flood

then through Hell Gate:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ELECTRO SAILING AROUND NEW YORK: Part Three: HELL GATE
which despite it's name is pretty tame as long as you keep a good hand on the tiller or wheel. NOTE: You should plan to motor at least from around 23rd Street (on Manhattan) to past the Brother Islands.

Once in Long Island Sound Port Washington has free moorings and a large Supermarket where you can re-provision. Though in summer those moorings may be taken pretty early.

I also like to anchor in Cold Spring Harbor on the way east. Plenty of room and good holding. If you want nightlife you can head into Oyster Bay and pay for a mooring and/or get ice, fuel etc...

Northport is also another place for anchoring (outside the harbor) or getting a mooring. Nice town to walk around in.

Port Jefferson is another good stop on the way east. Plenty of room to anchor and lot's of moorings that are only used on the weekends. Just don't leave the boat in case the owners do decide to come and use it.

Mattituck is another favorite spot of mine though it could get crowded especially on summer weekends.

I could go on but, at least this will at least give you an idea of what is available on Long Island's north shore as you head east.
Old 05-02-2013, 15:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Trish, anytime "Here be Dragons!" isn't sufficiently detailed information about something, the rest of the story (regulations, minefields, fish havens) gets listed in the Coast Pilots, which are produced to cover separate regions.
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Charting and Geodesy and the link there to
NOAA's Office of Coast Survey should give you a good start on what is available online. The charts, and a number of free or inexpensive readers, can all be downloaded, best on a broadband connection.

Since the US government's copyrights belong to "we the people" rather than "the crown" they have always been freely used as the basis for commercial charting here. When that was done by photography and lithography to make chart books, there were errors from the production process. But now that it is digital, the charts are all pretty much true to the source although there may be differences in how they are presented, bitmap versus vector, overlays, additions, etc. You can also buy the digital charts on CD from several sources. Sometimes there are extras (i.e. you can search for/by names instead of just looking) sometimes, not.

You can expect debris (sometimes houses, literally) and shoaling all the way up the coast, as Tropical Storm Sandy re-arranged pretty much everything on the shore for a thousand miles.
Hi hellosailor
Thank you, the info you've given helpful but will take me time to chase up. Anything you have to offer further to what you've already kindly given, would be terrific.
Thanks again
Trish
Old 05-02-2013, 15:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
So many places to visit in these waters here are just a few ideas.

New York is always interesting to me and I am amazed at how the sky line constantly changes. Even from just year to year. Here is some of the things I've seen on the water too in just one trip there:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: AN ELECTRIC SAILBOAT CRUISE TO NEW YORK: PART TWO
Last October I anchored on the north side of Ellis Island in good holding and a beautiful night time view of lower Manhattan. You can see exactly where I dropped the hook in the Google Earth photo in this post:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: AUTUMN CRUISE UP THE HUDSON RIVER 2012
It was a little rolly (mostly from the Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty Ferries) at first but, in the evening things quiet down quite a bit.

When heading up the East River I try to be at southern tip of Manhattan (The Battery) around two hours after low water there and ride the current up into Long Island Sound. Last fall I was motoring under electric propulsion because it was pretty windless that day (I actually rounded the battery there at three hours after low water). Got a video here of what it was like :
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ELECTRO SAILING AROUND NEW YORK: Part Two: Riding the East River Flood

then through Hell Gate:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ELECTRO SAILING AROUND NEW YORK: Part Three: HELL GATE
which despite it's name is pretty tame as long as you keep a good hand on the tiller or wheel. NOTE: You should plan to motor at least from around 23rd Street (on Manhattan) to past the Brother Islands.

Once in Long Island Sound Port Washington has free moorings and a large Supermarket where you can re-provision. Though in summer those moorings may be taken pretty early.

I also like to anchor in Cold Spring Harbor on the way east. Plenty of room and good holding. If you want nightlife you can head into Oyster Bay and pay for a mooring and/or get ice, fuel etc...

Northport is also another place for anchoring (outside the harbor) or getting a mooring. Nice town to walk around in.

Port Jefferson is another good stop on the way east. Plenty of room to anchor and lot's of moorings that are only used on the weekends. Just don't leave the boat in case the owners do decide to come and use it.

Mattituck is another favorite spot of mine though it could get crowded especially on summer weekends.

I could go on but, at least this will at least give you an idea of what is available on Long Island's north shore as you head east.
Hi mbianka,
Thank you so much for all of that & please keep it coming. I think I could plan a decent part of my trip on just what you've told me so far. I haven't as yet, but definitely will, look at all your blog entries.
Once again, thanks very much again
Trish