Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 15:44   #1

Help me to plan a long cruising.

sail to avoid the worst of the weather over 1-2 years, including Europe, U.S., and caribien, Atlantic Ocean, still sea, Australia, new zealand.

example: the Atlantic Ocean from canaria-caribien, go between xxxx xxxx date and the date. Avoid xxx date Thursday xxx date.

I will start in Sweden, Stockholm if im not purchase the boat in any other country?!

I will probably sail a catamaran around 40-50 feet.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:42   #2

You have a few destinations, but no mention of whether you truly plan a circumnavigation or not, whether you have any experience in passages or not.

Assuming you plan a circumnavigation and have the relevant experience, and a sea-worthy design which is in good order and equipped/supplied for the voyage, your quite short time frame suggests the following general route.

Europe -> Canaries -> Carribean -> Panama -> fast Pacific route -> New Zealand -> Australia -> Indian Ocean crossing -> South Africa -> clipper route up South and North Atlantic -> Europe -> Sweden.

I could map out the suggested times based on pilot charts, traditional sailing routes, modern cruising routes, and current long-term weather models. But that would take about 40 hours of my time and still wouldn't take into account your personal goals and aspirations.

My suggestion would be to get a cheap set of pilot charts for the waters you plan to travel through (north and south atlantic, mid and south pacific, indian ocean) and find out the general areas and times where tropical cyclone seasons exist (pilot charts cover a region's typical weather for each month of the year,) marking them on the maps with a colored pencil. Then begin marking your route, in pencil, starting with the time you expect to depart and moving to the next chart based on an average of about 100 nm per day, give or take a bit based on your experiences with the type of boat you plan on sailing. Plan your route to take advantage of prevailing winds and currents.

If your planned course crosses any tropical cyclone region, alter your plans to arrive earlier or later when there is less risk of a tropical cyclone.

Use references, such as an old old old copy of the British Admiralty's Ocean Passages for the World or Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes, or anything else which covers the kind of sailing you plan on doing, the weather and waters of a region, and the places you wish to visit.

Consider your finances. A 1-2 year circumnavigation is doable, but you will need to have a limited number of landfalls and each must be your primary supply point, have facilities for repairs to your vessel, and excellent shipping facilities. You should plan exactly which companies you will be purchasing from before you leave, and bring contact information for them with you. Plan for longer passages and you will spend less money on your trip.

Your trip will be a form of race. You will not have time to do a lot of casual tourism.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:10   #3

Thank you for the answer. I understund that a good plan will take time to do, and i will buy some books for planning the route. We will do alote of practise before we leave and i will not leave a week after we have a capable boat. Maybe a 6-12 mounths after testing everything with the boat and crew.

Joakim
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00   #4

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
One of the very first things you do should be to buy Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. It answers your questions about routing for weather. There are other sources you should consult in selecting your cruising boat. One we relied heavily upon is a page on the Mahina Expeditions website called "Boat Selection." There are hundreds of other things you could read to get started, but these two were cornerstones in our early days.

By the way, having the information doesn't necessarily mean you have to follow the instructions like a sheep. We were asked nearly a year ago if we'd had World Cruising Routes (we did) because we are not following a classic route. On the other hand, we aren't limited to 1 to 2 years (we've already been out more than two). For one to two years starting from Sweden, I'd suggest you consider the Atlantic Circle (it is in World Cruising Routes). It fits your time frame and includes some wonderful places where we wish we had had more time. Please feel free to visit our website to see how we're approaching this whole thing.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 14:44   #5

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
(it is in World Cruising Routes). It fits your time frame and includes some wonderful places where we wish we had had more time. Please feel free to visit our website to see how we're approaching this whole thing.
World Cruising Routes Is a fantastic book
Solstice whats your website Id love to look?
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 14:53   #6

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
Our website is Voyage of the Solstice: Home page. A hint for this discussion board: Click on the user name or, in our case, the logo to go to the user's profile page. From there you can see the webpage and email address if the user allows. We do.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 15:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
Our website is Voyage of the Solstice: Home page. A hint for this discussion board: Click on the user name or, in our case, the logo to go to the user's profile page. From there you can see the webpage and email address if the user allows. We do.
Very nice homepage and pics. I saw that you will stay in Holland until next summer. I must say, take time and sail to the archipelago of stockholm in july or aug next year. 30 000 islands.....
Old 18-08-2008, 07:23   #8

Boat: Looking
Not long ago, on this site was mention of a software planning aid. For the life of me, I didn't write it down and can't seem to find mention of it anywhere I look. From what was said at that time, it was a website that had a software program that helped, aided, directed you in planning a voyage/cruise. Does anyone know of this item?
Chetco
Chetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:55   #9

passage planner? With free 30 days version..?
Old 18-08-2008, 14:18   #10

Thank you, at $129, do you know anything about it? Is it good, do you happen to know anyone that has used it? I visited the website. Very interesting reading.

Be well,
Old 18-08-2008, 15:52   #11

Yaghan In english to. Little to expensive cruise for me but interesting reading.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetco View Post
Thank you, at $129, do you know anything about it? Is it good, do you happen to know anyone that has used it? I visited the website. Very interesting reading.

Be well,
Digital Wave - Home

Is this the site you found it on. I just got the testversion.
I find the site from a swedish forum without so much trafic so i did not get any more info about the program. Try here?
Old 18-08-2008, 19:03   #13

Yaghan and Website

Yes, that is the website I found it on, Digital Wave. I think I'll try the free test unit first. I visited the Yaghan website. I almost bought a HR once. Might do it yet. Mine is in Manzanillo right now with a family that has put up the down. Once mine is gone then I'll decide on a new one. I've been leaning towards an Oyster of late. Beautiful boat, great workmanship, but then too so is HR.

Thank you for the contact, and sharing your information.

Sailboats do not have ETA's just DESTINATIONS

Be well,
Old 19-08-2008, 00:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetco View Post
Yes, that is the website I found it on, Digital Wave. I think I'll try the free test unit first. I visited the Yaghan website. I almost bought a HR once. Might do it yet. Mine is in Manzanillo right now with a family that has put up the down. Once mine is gone then I'll decide on a new one. I've been leaning towards an Oyster of late. Beautiful boat, great workmanship, but then too so is HR.

Thank you for the contact, and sharing your information.

Sailboats do not have ETA's just DESTINATIONS

Be well,
CR Yachts > Home
Have you seen the Swedish CR Yachts?