Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 00:52   #1

GRENADA TO CURACAO (ABCs)

Any advice or sail plan for getting from Grenada to the ABCs in mid November?

I'll be in a 40' cat with one other crew member and neither of us has night sailing experience. Is there a good departure time to arrive in Curacao in daylight? It's approximately a 4 day and 3 night sail avg. 6-8 knots so is it even realistic to plan for arrival during daylight?

How far north of Venezuela should we plan for.

What was your experience?
KatMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: GRENADA TO CURACAO (ABCs)

Looks like you need to take someone with offshore experience with you, safety issue paramount for you and your crew, this trip looks to be way beyond your experience level.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:38   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

If you are in Grenada, ping me and we will have a beer at the Tiki bar. I suspect we can find a boat or two headed that way you can buddy boat with.

As to the passage. Most boats head farther up the island chain before heading off to the ABCs. Many head all the way up to Martinique and then make the jump. Not only does this give you a much better angle to the wind, but keeps you further from Venezuela. Plus you get a chance to provision in Martinique as the ABCs are pretty damned expensive.

P.S. Be prepaired for some negative responses due to your experience.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:40   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Duh.. Opps.. I just figured out who you are..

Give me a call on the VHF.. I can give you some other boat names headed that way. Going with a buddy boat would be a really good idea.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:23   #5

Boat: Camano 31, Troll

Be sure to stay well off the Venezuela coast and avoid anchoring in Venezuelan territory as there have been several attacks. Things are pretty desparate in Venezuela and the Govt. is unable to offer any protection for boaters. The ABCs have also experienced increased prime, so lock yourselves in at night and secure all gear and dingy every night.
sailduggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 14:12   #6

Boat: Outbound 46

We sailed from Guadeloupe to Bonaire, but not really that different from a Grenada departure. It took us just under 3 days. We timed our departure to give us a 12 noon arrival at 7 knots, that gives you several hours of leeway if you are running faster or slower than planned. Of course, you can always adjust your sail plan to slow down or speed up as needed. I definitely would not recommend a night arrival in either Bonaire or Curaçao.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 14:14   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Not sure if this is a delivery or a cruise. If you have the time Id stop in Bonaire. It is probably the best diving in the Carib and cruiser friendly. No anchoring, but fair price on the moorings.
We left Greneda and set ourselves on a starboard tack. This avoids running direct downwind, faster, safer and more comfortable. When we thought we could lay Bonaire we gybed and ran on the tack down to Bonaire. This also keeps you well clear of Venezuela.
The run from Bonaire to Curacao is short and easy.
Old 21-10-2018, 19:17   #8

Boat: Maxim 380

We are in Bonaire now and the run from Martinique was nice! I would head up to Marin Martinique and provision then leave from there. If you can't do this passage sailing is not for you! We are on SV MOJO stop by and say hi if you get to Bonaire!
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Curacao, Grenada