Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2010, 13:55   #16

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Here's another site for the Gulf Stream that might be useful.

RTOFS (Atlantic) Graphic Nowcasts/Forecasts
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 06:54   #17

Thanks for reminding me that I have to evaluate the currents and that a straight line is not always the most direct route. Sometimes I wonder how have I managed to do this for so long!
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 15:57   #18

Re: Florida to Cancun

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ventura View Post
I just sailed from Fort Lauderdale to Cancun , going to the Dry Tortugas , crossing the Gulfstream and then pretty much keeping to the rhumbline. The current in the Yucatan Channel was very strong , and we were in Neap tides , I was doing 3.5 kts over the ground with 6 of boat speed.
I'm pretty sure there is a better way to do this passage and avoid most of the current and take advantage of couter currents and eddies in the area.Any suggestions?
Hi, I am planning a similar trip but I will be starting from Amelia Island FL. and was wondering what the best way to go from the keys to Cancun/ Isla/ Cozumel. What route did you eventually use? Any suggestions going this time of year? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
manoverboard52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 19:33   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We went west from Key West until just north of Isla. It avoids all of the strong currents but you need the latest info on where the loop currents are. Here is a detailed account of our crossing,
Voyages of Sea Trek: Let It Begin Florida Keys to Guatemala

Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 20:22   #20

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

This is my track (green line) from April 29 - May 1 this year. There is a counter-current along the north coast of Cuba that will help you heading west. My plan was to stay 15 miles off Cuba around the west end and head south until due east of Isla before turning. But we lucked out in that the wind filled in real nice and we had 18-22 kts SE wind and figured that was enough to just power thru the current. In spite of crabbing, we still maintained 7-8 kts crossing the Yucatan channel, even hit 10-12 surfing down a few waves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	track.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	29866  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 12:56   #21

Thanks for info guy's. If all goes well, I will be starting my journey from Amelia Island on the 26 or 27th. Only a few days away. Single handed at this point but wouldn't mind taking someone along for the ride. Anybody out there interested???
Old 20-08-2011, 12:31   #22

Boat: Pearson 365.....36.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoverboard52 View Post
Thanks for info guy's. If all goes well, I will be starting my journey from Amelia Island on the 26 or 27th. Only a few days away. Single handed at this point but wouldn't mind taking someone along for the ride. Anybody out there interested???

Hello, Reading your blog. Hoped that you or one of the other posters might have advice on ports, anchorages, stops for a slow ride southwest from Key West, Florida to Honduras. I have sailed the Eastern Caribbean for several years. I sold my Pearson 30 in 2006 in Luperon, DR. I just bought a Pearson 365 in Hernando Beach, Fl. I am refitting her and making her my own. I just need input/information about others routes and ports going westward.
I found all the post helpful and picked up several sites to watch. I would like to hear how your trip went.....Billy
floridabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 13:02   #23

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoverboard52 View Post
Be careful of the weather.

Invest 97 : Computer Model Hurricane Forecasts : Weather Underground

Something brewing for South Florida around the 25th.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 15:48   #24

Hi Guy,s

Just wanted to let you know I made the trip in just under 15 days. Arrived on the 11th. Ran outside along the Florida coast and did the hawk channel to the keys. West to the dry Tortuga's and shot for isla from there. Got lucky with the weather and crossing the gulf was uneventful except for 1 squall that came up out of no where! Only lasted about an hour or so. A few thunder stoms here and there along the way. The rest of the crossing was a slow go as there was only about 5 or 6 knot winds. Other than that it was all good! I think it was a pretty good shake out run! Been busy going through the boat since I got back and getting her ready for the next journey.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40   #25

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

From the GULF stream map it looks like favorable currents from Texas to Cancun. I am thinking about taking this crossing next spring after the bulk of the winter storms, moving out ahead of a good cold front to get a push offshore.

Anyone else do this? What time of year? How was the crossing? It looks like it could be done in as little as 14-20 days.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancun, florida