Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 14:58   #1

Feedback/Ideas welcome, in fact very much appreciated :)

Bought a 36ft C&C Sloop in Maryland and thinking of sailing/motoring it back to Michigan. Was thinking of coming up the Hudson River to the Erie Canal into Lake Erie, after that I got it. I've been searching online for maps or if people have done this and how it went but with no luck. I would be coming up from the Chesapeake Bay area into the Hudson River (I think) and so on. Has anyone done any of this trip or anything? Looking for how to go for sure and how long it might take, yes I know the mast would have to be down part/most of the way. Looking forward to hearing from you
Captain Rob Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 18:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Feedback/Ideas welcome, in fact very much appreciated :)

Hi RR and welcome to the forum.

Surprised no one has jumped on to offer information about this. Must be because it's a weekend and everyone is out sailing. Unfortunately I can't help with this at all but I have seen many discussions on the forum about routes to the Great Lakes.

Maybe use the search function at the top of the page for "Erie Canal", "Hudson River" and similar terms. I am sure you will turn up more than you can read in a day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 18:42   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I know that Matt and Jessica who post here regularly brought their sailboat from Michigan via the Erie Canal. Try pm to Funjohnson. Their blog is mjsailing dot com and the might have the whole trip chronicalled there.
Old 16-05-2016, 05:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rob Roy.

Erie Canal Boating - Erie Canal, Oswego Canal and Champlain Canal Guide

New York State Canals

Cruising New York State Canal System, Erie, Cayuga, Seneca

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 08:00   #5

Boat: KP 46

I did that trip in reverse, I took an Alden 54 up the tomnigbee, Mississippi, right through downtown Chicago, through the lakes out the Erie and down the Hudson. It was actually a great trip. Traveling through the heartland of America and full of history.

The trip down the Erie was very interesting as I read the history of the canal as I went down it. Pulled the rig in Tonawanda and re stepped it on the Hudson (lots of places to do it), I used a yacht club on the east side of the Hudson, a do it yourself place that has lots of frames available to use.

Pretty simple and easy, lots of locks but they are easy, I was singlehanded most of the time. I put a lawn chair on the foredeck and had a remote for the autopilot in my hand and watched the countryside go by.

There is a hight limit of around 15 feet for the western half of the Erie, I drew 7 feet and had no problems.

pm me if you have any questions and I will try and answer them.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 08:57   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Its a very doable trip.

I'm on Lake Ontario, and plenty of boats do that route every year, many newbies every year too.

There is way too much to list here, but here are some highlights:

C+D canal is a good shortcut. Enjoy the Hudson River, it's beautiful and easy sailing. The mast comes down at Albany NY, at the top of the Hudson...lots of places there, very common requirement. Then you are motoring through the canals, which are supposed to be very enjoyable. Your mileage will vary depending on how long you want to motor each day on the canal, and the timing of the locks.

I suggest you take your time and enjoy the trip.

The C&C36 is a good boat, you chose well...if you have a yanmar. Hey, I don't dislike the atomic 4, but the range is very limiting, especially for a trip like this.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 09:22   #7

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

There are several threads on the Erie Canal and the lakes.

It is a long trip. The canal from Albany to Buffalo is easily a week. Nice scenery, interesting small towns.

Two basic choices:

1. Up the Hudson to near Albany, take the mast down and then Erie Canal to Buffalo. Mast up and then cross Lake Erie.

2. Up the Hudson to near Albany, take the mast down and then Erie Canal to Three Rivers (outside of Syracuse) then north on the Oswego Canal to Oswego and put the mast up. Sail Lake Ontario to the Welland Canal and take the Welland to Lake Erie.

As far as which is better, it really amounts to 6 of one half dozen of the other. If the timing works and the weather cooperates, the Oswego/Welland Canal routes will save a day or two.

On the Erie Canal itself, there is only one place that can hold you up, Oneida Lake. If there is a good breeze from the west, that lake can get pretty choppy. Motoring 22 miles up wind in a chop is not that much fun.

Go to the NY Canal Website for up to date information. New York State Canals
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 12:33   #8

Thank you all for the feedback, have come to realize it will take too long to sail it back ourselves. Have that pesky little thing called work and can't be gone that long. We've gotten a few quotes on having it shipped but wondering if it might be less to have someone sail it back for us. Probably not but it's a thought.
Captain Rob Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 12:53   #9

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Rob Roy View Post
Thank you all for the feedback, have come to realize it will take too long to sail it back ourselves. Have that pesky little thing called work and can't be gone that long. We've gotten a few quotes on having it shipped but wondering if it might be less to have someone sail it back for us. Probably not but it's a thought.
You didn't say where in Michigan you were headed. Probably a 3-4 week trip to somewhere on Lake Huron.

Your broker should be able to help find a shipper. If you are flexible you might be able to find a trucker who has an empty truck going north.

Good Luck and sorry about that work thing. But you'll find it handy for buying boat parts.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 14:26   #10

Boat: C&C 40

RR, you might check the site www.greatloop.org for info and maybe run across someone to take it north for you...
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 14:53   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
You didn't say where in Michigan you were headed. Probably a 3-4 week trip to somewhere on Lake Huron.

Your broker should be able to help find a shipper. If you are flexible you might be able to find a trucker who has an empty truck going north.

Good Luck and sorry about that work thing. But you'll find it handy for buying boat parts.
The way it was phrased a trucker was my thought also.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote