Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2024, 16:12   #46

Re: Cruising from Port Jefferson, NY to Block Island recommendations

It sounds like it is going to be a great adventure cruise for the kids, been there done that, but I must say I think you are being very cavalier about safety, No Dinghy,?think about if the boat started sinking, and you and the kids all ended up in the water, The dinghy is your lifeboat, and also think of anchoring close to a secluded beach, and the kids want go and explore.
40tahitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 16:18   #47

It sounds like it is going to be a great adventure cruise for the kids, been there done that, but I must say I think you are being very cavalier about safety, No Dinghy,?think about if the boat started sinking, and you and the kids all ended up in the water, The dinghy is your lifeboat, and also think of anchoring close to a secluded beach, and the kids want go and explore.
40tahitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 17:44   #48

Boat: Cal 33-2

I have made the trip you plan dozens of times. Most of the potential stopover points have been covered quite will in previous posts. My typical stops coming from Pt. Jeff would be Duck Island Roads/Westbrook, and then either West Harbor/Fischers Island or Stonington. It's a much shorter hop to BI from the Watch Island Passage then the Race.

I am a big fan of Watch Hill, but only if you plan to stay for a least a day or two. MUCH easier anchoring than BI with great beaches and easy walk into town. Another alternative destination is going through Plum Gut to Greenport. Stay in a slip in the town marina. Lots to do in town for adults and kids.
Old 09-03-2024, 12:43   #49

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 hull 19

Depending on how much sailing vs motoring you want to do you can anchor in the thimble islands in Branford, Joshua cove in guilford. Fishers island has a few mooring you can pick up on its north side. Noank also has moorings. Swimming off the boat, fishing are obviously all great activities for kids. If you plan to go to block try to get there by 10 am. It’s really common to motor around looking for a mooring. Also at 2 pm you can call the harbor master since they have private moorings that are released. If all else fails you can go to anchorage for a night then try a mooring in the morning. Btw. Watch hill is a very cool place- just be real careful and follow the channel into the anchorage. Stonington is also a great destination and a real short trip to block island.on a broad reach.
mschpero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 13:01   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinfinity View Post
[snip] Whoever it was in this thread who said "try Watch Hill, I've never been there" should not be giving advice.
[snip]

This appears to be directed at me? I don't see anyone having said this, and I actually said the opposite -- i.e., that I haven't been there so I can't weigh in on it.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 14:20   #51
EME

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinfinity View Post
I cruise to Block Island every year from Stamford (by sailboat). If you count races, I've probably been to/around Block fifty times. I've stopped at almost every possible point along the way.

The issue with going from PJ is that there are almost no easy stopping points on the south side of LIS past Mt Sinai which is very close to PJ of course.

If you consider the north side of LIS, there are lots of choices but then you need more travel time. Yes, Mystic and Watch hill are nice but the travel time is significant and the navigation can be tricky. Both of these should be considered destinations, not stopping points on the way to Block. Whoever it was in this thread who said "try Watch Hill, I've never been there" should not be giving advice.

If you can't make the 70nm from PJ to BI in a day, I would suggest (weather permitting) you go 35nm from PJ to Duck Island Roads (Pilots Point, Old Saybrook) and then 35nm from Duck Island Roads to BI.

At Duck Island, you can anchor inside the breakwater, or you can go into Pilots Point and take a dock and the kids/spouse will enjoy it.

Once at Block Island, you can usually always find a mooring or a place to anchor. I almost always anchor and have never had a problem but Great Salt Pond gets deep (30ft) in the middle and so you need enough rode and scope. It's nice and shallow on the perimeter especially near Dinghy Beach.

There is a water taxi and sometimes a concession boat that brings sticky buns and coffee out to you. There is lots to do on Block. I would make that your destination and get there without a lot of talk about stopping in hard to reach places like Mystic and Watch Hill. Do those when you have more time and more experience.

If you want to DM/call me, I will be happy to chat more.
Thank you so much for such thorough info. If that's ok I will dm you! WOuld love to get some more info.
EME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 14:21   #52
EME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40tahitian View Post
Thank you so much. I agree. Can you please let me know what are some good sites to look at dinghys and cost?
Old 09-03-2024, 14:23   #53
EME

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschpero View Post
Depending on how much sailing vs motoring you want to do you can anchor in the thimble islands in Branford, Joshua cove in guilford. Fishers island has a few mooring you can pick up on its north side. Noank also has moorings. Swimming off the boat, fishing are obviously all great activities for kids. If you plan to go to block try to get there by 10 am. It’s really common to motor around looking for a mooring. Also at 2 pm you can call the harbor master since they have private moorings that are released. If all else fails you can go to anchorage for a night then try a mooring in the morning. Btw. Watch hill is a very cool place- just be real careful and follow the channel into the anchorage. Stonington is also a great destination and a real short trip to block island.on a broad reach.
I think we came to conclusion, we either going to do a mooring or marina, since it will be our first trip like that, it will be safer. Once we get a hang of it, maybe we'll do more anchoring. And we have a motor boat, not sailing. Hopefully it will help to speed up our commute lol
Old 09-03-2024, 14:24   #54
EME

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I have made the trip you plan dozens of times. Most of the potential stopover points have been covered quite will in previous posts. My typical stops coming from Pt. Jeff would be Duck Island Roads/Westbrook, and then either West Harbor/Fischers Island or Stonington. It's a much shorter hop to BI from the Watch Island Passage then the Race.

I am a big fan of Watch Hill, but only if you plan to stay for a least a day or two. MUCH easier anchoring than BI with great beaches and easy walk into town. Another alternative destination is going through Plum Gut to Greenport. Stay in a slip in the town marina. Lots to do in town for adults and kids.
thank you so much! Do you mind if I message you?
Old 10-03-2024, 15:13   #55

Boat: Brewer 12.8

I can’t imagine cruising with kids without a dinghy—expecting tender service is optimistic and what if you have an emergency and need to get to shore? I found a super light 7’ rowboat and I muscle it pretty easily up onto my foredeck. $35 plus oars.
I also agree with others about too many miles for too few days unless you have plans B, C and D for shorter options. The weather can do anything and if you don’t wait for the proper current you will also slow to a crawl. I don’t know how well your boat goes to windward but a lot of us wait for a weather window that puts us in the Go zone versus tacking through the No Go zone. So figure out what’s important: fun, family time, comfortable sailing that sparks interest in more and longer trips? Do not be wed to a destination / schedule if that is the case.
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 16:19   #56
EME

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerstmyer View Post
I can’t imagine cruising with kids without a dinghy—expecting tender service is optimistic and what if you have an emergency and need to get to shore? I found a super light 7’ rowboat and I muscle it pretty easily up onto my foredeck. $35 plus oars.
I also agree with others about too many miles for too few days unless you have plans B, C and D for shorter options. The weather can do anything and if you don’t wait for the proper current you will also slow to a crawl. I don’t know how well your boat goes to windward but a lot of us wait for a weather window that puts us in the Go zone versus tacking through the No Go zone. So figure out what’s important: fun, family time, comfortable sailing that sparks interest in more and longer trips? Do not be wed to a destination / schedule if that is the case.

Thank you. Can you pls recommend where I can look into dinghys? What would be a good option for 5 of us? Unfortunately with our work schedule, we can'y just plan few days ahead of time or shift our days, so we'll have to play it by year. If weather is bad, we'll just need to do a shorter trip somewhere shorter drive and wait it out.
Old 10-03-2024, 17:07   #57

Boat: Brewer 12.8

I would check FB marketplace, FB yard sale groups in your area, put a sign up in local clubs, and Craigslist. For 5 you’ll need something you can all be comfortable with—in calm seas. In rough stuff you probably would need something too large to stow so you’d have to tow it (assuming davits aren’t in the cards for you yet). We tow a lot in the Bay of Maine but you’d have to ask locals if they tow dinghies in your Sound—seems possible.
I’ll only row because I don’t like the noise, don’t like outboards or hoisting one off the dinghy, don’t like carrying extra fuel, don’t like inflatables (which rarely row well). But I’ve only rowed with 3 adults aboard so I don’t know how kids add up. That weight will also determine engine size (if you don’t row) with the considerations there being power and weight (for hoisting comfortably to store on your stern rail).
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 17:35   #58
EME

Thank you so much. We actually used to have a canoe as our first boat and hot a portable motor, i regret now we sold it with the motor, little did we know we will need it again. Will deff look into these places you mentioned. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something descent for this summer.
Old 10-03-2024, 18:50   #59

Boat: Cal 33-2

FWIW the OP has a powerboat, not a sailboat. Changes things significantly.

Tags
cruising, men