Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2024, 06:54   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Baltimore to NYC pickup for @3 days sailing?

Hi folks,
I’ve looked through the threads but hoped for some local advice. We have a 40’ cat, and I’m sailing it up to NYC where I’ll pick up my wife (63), grown daughter and boyfriend. They’ll only be able to make a 3 or 4 day weekend of it, after which my wife & I will spend a few more days sailing.

If they are in Brooklyn is there an easy, safe place to pick them up from the Cape May/NY Harbor side, or is it easier to go through the river to City Island to which (I believe!) they could take the train?

Of course, we’ll have to drop them off after their time is up.

Thanks for any suggestions!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 07:20   #2

Re: Baltimore to NYC pickup for @3 days sailing?

There are a number of marinas and yacht clubs in Brooklyn, on the East River, Sheepshead Bay, Jamaica Bay, along Shell Bank Channel,. One 15 marina is near the Brooklyn Bridge and puts you in the heart of the action, but it's expensive. No need to go all the way up to City Island.
nussbda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 07:55   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One thought is where will you be dropping them off at the end of the cruise? If you plan on heading up Long Island Sound anyway, it might be easier to choose a place near a train stop for both pick up and drop off, like possibly Oyster Bay. https://new.mta.info/document/85021
Old 09-03-2024, 09:16   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Atlantic Highlands Marina, NJ (near Sandy Hook) Site of Hi Speed ferry landing from NYC
PU a mooring or anchor off breakwater.
Or catch current up East River to Port Washington/Manhasset Bay, less then 2 hours from Battery/Statue of Liberty. PU mooring or anchor in safe, protected, friendly harbor with all
services, restaurants etc at waterfront. Train leaving every half hour 35 minutes to heart of NYC's Penn Station. Perfect for 2-3 day cruise as can drop off further East with trains to NYC at Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, Mattituck, others.
I suggest combo both PU or drop off from Atlantic Highlands and Long Island locations
as your guests will get to experience NYC from the water which besides skyline will include up close and personal with the Statue of Liberty, 9 bridges and many more
historic locations. (if interest advise will list)
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 11:17   #5

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Manhasett Bay is 45min from the city on the LIRR, protected Bay with marinas, restaurant and shops also there are moorings with water taxi service or anchor its a big bay and it has a town dock.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 07:30   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

For some reason I’m not getting emailed replies even though it’s my thread. Glad I checked!

Thx guys, esp hugosalt, who helped navigate the East River my first time on our Corsair 36 trimaran!

So I’m thinking our kids would probably get a kick out of seeing the Statue of Liberty and going up the East River, so at the moment, the high speed ferry to Sandy Hook sounds like the way to go. Then drop them off somewhere that’s easy for them to get back after 3 days.

Thx, folks!
Lee
Lipari 41
s/v AMERICAN HONEY
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 07:45   #7

Boat: Adams 45

The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) goes all the way out Long Island to Montauk, with fairly frequent stations. Anywhere they get off the boat they can get an Uber to the nearest train station. If you wanted to drop them on the Connecticut side of Long Island Sound, there's decent train service there too.

I agree with the above suggestions to pick them up in Atlantic Highlands. The trip through NY Harbor and the East River is pretty cool, especially if they've never been. You might consider going up the Hudson as far as the GW Bridge before returning to the Battery and up the East River.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 07:58   #8

You might want to do a pickup at the Chelsea Piers marina in Manhattan. Much easier than having them travel to New Jersey. You could do a dock and dine and have lunch at the dockside restaurant before heading out with them on your cruise.

Tags
baltimore, nyc, sail, sailing