Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 05:13   #1

Beaufort to key west mid December

We are normally open ocean sailers have over 25,000 miles on record but my wife will be recovering from cancer surgery second one in a year so need to do ICW and stop at night as much as possible looking for anchorages. Doctors have depleted our kitty. We are solar builders so have massive system no need for generator or alternator. I have looked on active captain and a few other sites and only see advertisements. Can anyone help? Also can answer questions about solar power or Virgin Islands Bahamas Panama A B C's have missed very few ports in Caribbean and Bahamas. One stop in the Galapagos "worst port anywhere" totally disappointing.
Cruziansailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:22   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Beaufort to key west mid December

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruziansailer View Post
We are normally open ocean sailers have over 25,000 miles on record but my wife will be recovering from cancer surgery second one in a year so need to do ICW and stop at night as much as possible looking for anchorages. Doctors have depleted our kitty. We are solar builders so have massive system no need for generator or alternator. I have looked on active captain and a few other sites and only see advertisements. Can anyone help? Also can answer questions about solar power or Virgin Islands Bahamas Panama A B C's have missed very few ports in Caribbean and Bahamas. One stop in the Galapagos "worst port anywhere" totally disappointing.
Welcome.

Are you asking for crew?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:23   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

So your question is "What are some good anchorages between Beaufort and Key West?" Is that correct?

The big issue you're going to face is very short days and long stretches where you can't anchor. You need to plan each day to ensure that you're not caught out when it gets dark with nowhere to drop the hook. No advice you get here in the form of a random list of good anchorages is going to really help you with that planning.

You better get a guide book, like Dozier's Waterway ICW guide. The Dozier's guide is not perfect (it's charts are not suitable for navigation) but it's probably the best single overview source available.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 06:43   #4

Thanks for the info
Old 24-11-2016, 07:11   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

About active captain.

It is the interactive guide that you are looking for on the website. Doesn't display this on the home page, but there is a tab labeled interactive guide that will switch it to the chart view. It is flash based so doesn't work on most tablets/phones, but good on laptops.
Old 24-11-2016, 07:17   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruziansailer View Post
I don't understand your seeing nothing but advertisements on Active Captain. Active captain lists most decent anchorages on the ICW and I expect most other places.

I know little about solar power but I will caution you that if you're planning on cruising the AICW starting now or soon, you will find it pretty cold, especially if you anchor at night.
Old 24-11-2016, 07:46   #7

I never worried much about the anchorage book. Just looked at the chart to find a place before dark
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 07:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The following questions are asked in a friendly tone of voice. The answers you provide may help others help you.

What kind of boat do you have?

Does it have any form of cabin heating while motoring? While at anchor?

Do you have an autopilot? (Not a windvane as much of the ICW is motoring.)

Do you intend to go as quickly as possible, or will you stop in some places (e.g. St. Augustine, Miami, etc.) for a few days?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:29   #9

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

Assuming you are talking about Beaufort North Carolina to Key West. There are many day stops on the way all the way to Charleston and further south to Georgia I've done the trip several times all the way down to Miami. I would suggest getting a copy of Captain Bob's anchorage's so that will show you most of the good ones. In my experience leaving Beaufort North Carolina the first stop would be around Swansboro. If you draw more than five feet I would not suggest going the Intercoastal Waterway for most of the trip there are several shallow spots between Morehead City and Little River South Carolina. Just south of McClellanville South Carolina for about three miles it's very shallow at low tide.

Here the anchorages that we usually use from Beaufort. Swansboro, mile Hammock Bay, Myrtle Beach Yacht Club ,Osprey Marina, Georgetown South Carolina, Charleston South Carolina, Steamboat Creek, or Toms Creek. Beaufort South Carolina ,Thunderbolt Georgia, middle of Georgia creek, Jekyll Island Marina, Fernandina Beach,

This will get you to the Florida line.
pwmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:57   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

You might want to get a copy of Skipper Bob's Guide To Anchorages.
Old 24-11-2016, 19:25   #11

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Have you made plans for heat? You could use your propane oven that works on the very worst nights but goes through fuel fairly quickly.

I've done the trip a dozen or so times and never worried about an Anchorage. When it gets close the desk look for a white spot where you won't get in anyone's way turn in your anchor light and be comfortable. As you move further south December is not such a bad time to travel but there will be cold nights.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:07   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you draw 4'or less you can anchor just about anywhere. Last time I did it used fore and aft anchors to eliminate swing. Over 4' it can get tricky and you will probably need to preplan stops for anchoring. You will also need to plan fuel stops, many will not be open in December. It will be cold and damp so I hope you have long johns. I doubt any solar rig can keep your boat comfortable if the temperature drops below 40F and you can expect a few nights of that. Good luck with your trip.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:18   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
...................I've done the trip a dozen or so times and never worried about an Anchorage. When it gets close the desk look for a white spot where you won't get in anyone's way turn in your anchor light and be comfortable. .............. .
Thee are places along the route where there are no anchorages for twenty or thirty miles. Narrow canals where you can't just pull over to the side and anchor. Remember, there is barge traffic along the ICW 24/7.

I recommend having one of the guides (or Active Captain) and planning anchorages in advance. You can always change your mind provided there is an alternative a few more miles down the ICW.
Old 25-11-2016, 12:16   #14

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I did this trip last January. Check out Active Captain for sure. I used the NOAA charts and also Navionics charts on my iPad. In Navionics I plotted a daily course in detail, and stopped where the little anchor shows up for anchoring, sometimes few and far between. Areas around the inlets change the bottom on the ICW alot and must be navigated carefully. Plan ahead each day. We did some jumps outside when the weather cooperated. Offshore it was 32F from Beaufort to Masonboro but I have cabin heat so we could warm up off watch. We definitely used the heater.
Old 25-11-2016, 15:31   #15

Thanks for all the info even though we have a multitude of experience the icw info and heater really helps. That was our first post we are new to the forum. The only comment that concerns me is the one about 5' draft we draw 5.5' in the 80's the intracoastal was maintained to 12' maybe budget cuts let it go? We do not hire crew never have in 25,000 miles. And yes we can look at the little anchors on the chart but we can tell you about lots of places in the bahamas and VI that is very important the anchor does not tell all. My wife will be recovering from lung surgery and I may be recovering from Basil joint repair in other words one handed. To answer the question one person asked yes we have a multitude of power ac D.C. And 200 gallons fuel below deck.One motor trip was from Tampa to Belize no wind. Vessel is a Sunkiss 47. I hope we can help others as much as they have helped us. We will be glad to answer any questions about sailing Bahamas, VI, Fl west coast,Panama, Galapagos, Isla Del coco the ABC islands. Transiting the Panama Canal. visolardepot@aol.com

Tags
beaufort, key west