Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 08:44   #241

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

+s and -s of utube

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 13:53   #242
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Getting back to the sailing YouTubers......even if we are lucky enough to live and cruise on our own boats, the good ones can be fun to watch for just entertainment value.

LA Vagabond now hires a professional editor to do their videos, so that thier time is more with family.
You can see the difference of less stress and a more entertaining package...... This will become the trend
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 14:17   #243

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
LA Vagabond now hires a professional editor to do their videos, so that thier time is more with family.
You can see the difference of less stress and a more entertaining package...... This will become the trend
Probably ... but only for the few who make serious money. It takes a lot of views to make any real money on these online platforms. I bet there aren't more than a dozen cruising channels that make any real cash.

But didn't they try the professional editor/videographer thing a while ago? I only follow them in the most peripheral way (mostly through links from sailing forums ), but I thought they'd gone the professional route a while back.

Making quality videos, as they seem to do, takes a huge amount of effort, resources, and time. People who suggest it is an easy way to make money have no clue how hard the job really is.

It's why I don't do it ... that, and no one wants to see me in a speedo .
Old 17-12-2019, 14:28   #244

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
But didn't they try the professional editor/videographer thing a while ago? I only follow them in the most peripheral way (mostly through links from sailing forums ), but I thought they'd gone the professional route a while back.
They had a liveaboard editor/videographer soon after they launched and while they cruised the Med. I think after he moved on they decided it was too much bother having a fulltime travelling companion. I checked out the recent video because I was curious and it sounds like the new guy is shore based.

That's been Nike's (from White Spot Pirates) modus operandi from the start. Speaking of whom, her current videos are from her short trip Seattle to Alaska. It's really neat to see my cruising grounds through the eyes of a new visitor...even if she doesn't know the difference between a seal and a sea lion
Old 17-12-2019, 15:26   #245

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
But with the social worker Obama mindset....."you didn't build that company alone"....
I've always taken that statement to be true - in the sense that any successful business in the US has the benefit of a federal highway transportation system, and expensive national defense that provides a secure condition for business to flourish, FDIC, a taypayer funded justice system, etc.

Compare that to any other nation of the world, and our business entrepreneurs do get a heck of a benefit from taxpayer funded resources - so in that sense, they didn't just build it alone. We all chipped in for those resources that allow business to flourish. Not so in the 3rd world.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 15:38   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Making quality videos, as they seem to do, takes a huge amount of effort, resources, and time. People who suggest it is an easy way to make money have no clue how hard the job really is.

It's why I don't do it ... that, and no one wants to see me in a speedo .

I bet you'd be surprised on that. There's a niche for everything, and that sort of intimate life diary stuff seems to sell in some places. I'm keeping it in mind...
Old 17-12-2019, 19:11   #247

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance

Youtuber here! Psycho Skipper : https://www.youtube.com/c/psychoskippered

I am not one of those million followers, or big revenue channels. But My channel is 10 years old, one of the originals, with 100 vidoes. Small revenue in comparison to the others.

I do give back, I recently did a sail back to the Abacos, with $15,000 worth of relief supplies, and put in the hands of the local people directly, on Manowar a small island of 300 residence.

If you are in public you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. But if I am filming you directly, or interviewing you or speaking to you, I do ask if you would mind, and ask for permission, I tell them what it would be used for. I have had maybe 1-2 out of 100 say no.

My channel is more real then most you have seen, no sexy girls, no glit and glamour, just real experiences, good and bad. Pretty and Ugly, I document my misadventure and screw ups also.

Ed s/v Black Diamond
Radonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 19:36   #248

I just subscribed to your channel - on the principal that you don't have a young bikini body screwing up all the shots.
Old 17-12-2019, 23:58   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I've always taken that statement to be true - in the sense that any successful business in the US has the benefit of a federal highway transportation system, and expensive national defense that provides a secure condition for business to flourish, FDIC, a taypayer funded justice system, etc.

Compare that to any other nation of the world, and our business entrepreneurs do get a heck of a benefit from taxpayer funded resources - so in that sense, they didn't just build it alone. We all chipped in for those resources that allow business to flourish. Not so in the 3rd world.
The country has those systems, they arent there for any one person and everyone benefits from it including the guy driving to someone elses factory for his job. All of those system are already taxed. None of that has to do with private buisness. Everyone can drive on the freeway, not just buisness owners. I know the government doesnt use our taxes appropriatley they are taken specifically to do things like build public roads and justice systems.

Many third world countries lack fundemental things that we take for granted beyond just material resources. Many third world countries dont even have the concept of private property. Its not something exists in their world. There is no right to privacy, the government or really anyone more violent than you can just walk in and take whatever they want. You cant do that in America and onwership breeds caring. Private property is a huge part of what built us into the power we are. When you own something and you get to keep the fruits of it you work much harder for it.

Another point of under estimation is that many of these countries also dont even have concepts like voting. It sounds simple right? You say to them "you get to vote now." Try to explain voting to a person who has litterally never had a say in anything. Even the ones who are doing fairly well live with the fear of knowing they have gone unnoticed thus far, but that can change in an instant and they can be taken or killed on a whim. They've lived under an authoritarian government that has been in place not just their whole lives, but through their whole history too, under some unchosen ruler and they do as they are told or die. A long time ago I read about how American Idol was actually being used to try to teach people from nations like that the concept of voting. I tried to find an article on it but American Idol and voting dont lead to results involving the third world. I did find this though from the NYT in 2005. Theres still a bit of qualifying pandering but the end result without the BS is democracy failed and continues to fail all over the world. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/30/w...democracy.html But lets with 13 years and see what happens https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/05/11...ran-hang-back/ but then https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/05/11...ran-hang-back/ . So close, yet not anywhere near close at all.

The West is an inhernetly liberal society and that make us different from most third world countries also. We may have a left and right by our standards but the foundation of freedom and personal rights we have are liberal ideals. We have such sucessful buisnesses because we told Americans you can build something and it is yours. Anything you get from that is yours. The thing is Johnny boy may have built the car or pen or whatever product they produced. An engineer may have drawn the design and an accountant may have done the books but! The owner started the company, hired those people, connected all the processes, took the risks to sign deals with other companies and made promises to deliver goods. That is what builds a company. The truth is you could fire 1,10,100 workers in a company and there are more people to replace them who just need to be shown that process and the company will go on unchanged, all processes going. A company lived and dies by it owner though. They can make moves that make it a fortune or make it bankrupt. The worker has no part and no risk in that. You might lose your job, but you wont get all the debt that has to be paid back by that company right. You wont have your factory and assets repoed. You will just need to find another job. You want to own a buisness start your own or buy enough stock in a public company to have a voting share. This may be surpising to a lot of people but a democracy like the Wests is the vast minority in the world. There are a ton of psudo democracies but still more authoritarian countries than that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
MuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 00:36   #250

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Is it fair for one guy to invest his life savings into a new venture, take all the risk and be criticised for cutting down his overheads as much as possible to try and survive the initial 2-3 year startup losses?
Wow, YES, it is fair to criticize that. How about hiring illegal workers? That fits right in here with this logic, no? Or cheating on taxes? I'm just trying to make a new venture, guys, let me scam and hurt people for a few years to get going, and then i'll be good i swear.

C'mon. Pay a living wage like every other business, add it to your costs, and pass them along to the customers. If you feel some employees would prefer the uncertainty of tipped life (altho don't forget not everyone cleans up 200 bucks a night, not all days are weekends and not all restaurants are in affluent places), then give those workers the choice of tipped or salaried at minimum wage (which is still too low).

If society cannot afford to pay all people a living wage at minimum (don't even get me started on universal health care like every other decent country in the world)--if the very people who live there do not support the weakest or most at risk among them--then the very foundations of it are f-ed up, and nothing at all to be proud of.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 00:54   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Wow, YES, it is fair to criticize that. How about hiring illegal workers? That fits right in here with this logic, no? Or cheating on taxes? I'm just trying to make a new venture, guys, let me scam and hurt people for a few years to get going, and then i'll be good i swear.
Both of these things are already illegal. These people are already in the wrong. They dont represent the system they are the violators of the system.

Quote:
C'mon. Pay a living wage like every other business, add it to your costs, and pass them along to the customers.
Work and make choices to gain skills of value. Stop begging for more money because you havent made yourself economically valuable. Plenty of people have come from hard beginnings and be very sucessful. No matter how you slice only you can choose to be better. All the free stuff in the world wont make you a harder worker. Also artifically inflating wages dont save customers money.

Quote:
If society cannot afford to pay all people a living wage at minimum (don't even get me started on universal health care like every other decent country in the world)--if the very people who live there do not support the weakest or most at risk among them--then the very foundations of it are f-ed up, and nothing at all to be proud of.
You mean the Government by which you mean taxes by which you mean me. Or you want the Government to force me to arbitrailly pay more. Ive got my own problems. I deal with mine. Society is perfectly at liberty to give anyone as much money as they want. Go start a charity or non profit or buisness, see the numbers then decide how much of your hard work you want to give to others. Your free to gather as much money from who ever will give and give it to who you like. What you want is for the Government to force me under law, which means at gun point, to give my hard earned work to someone. No.
Old 18-12-2019, 02:12   #252
CF Adviser

Quote:

I've never met this "society" guy...
is he the owner or a bunch of co-investors?

As others have said, it is a case of supply and demand in a competitive world.

I prefer to let individuals decide for themselves what they will accept and adjust accordingly to either better themselves in the labor market or find supplemental ways to feed their family.
Sounds harsh I know, but the reality I have seen in many countries is all about fostering determination and action, not promising false expectations of hope and entitlement.

Give everyone a chance to play on an equal field and let the strong in the family, help the weaker members to grow stronger.... They will be the harshest critics of some in their family who just want to slide thru life doing their utmost minimum.
Old 18-12-2019, 02:30   #253
CF Adviser

Vox Media to lay off hundreds of freelance workers ahead of California labor law it had championed

https://www.foxnews.com/media/vox-me...rnia-labor-law
Old 18-12-2019, 02:35   #254

https://www.vox.com/2019/9/11/208510...s-labor-unions

lol.
Old 18-12-2019, 02:51   #255
CF Adviser

Such hypocrisy!

On Monday,*SB Nation, the sports division of Vox Media, announced*it's preemptively laying off workers ahead of the implementation of AB 5 in the coming months.
"In 2019, SB Nation contractors who live in California or contribute to California’s team sites did some truly amazing work... Together, over 200 people on California sites wrote thousands of blog posts in 2019 – pieces so diverse in their conception that it’s impossible to describe them en masse except to say, they were written for a community of fellow fans," SB Nation Executive Director John Ness*wrote*in a lengthy piece.*"In 2020, we will move California's team blogs from our established system with hundreds of contractors to a new one run by a team of new SB Nation employees. In the early weeks and months of 2020, we will end our contracts with most contractors at California brands."

He continued, "This shift is part of a business and staffing strategy that we have been exploring over the past two years, but one that is also necessary in light of California's new independent contractor*law,*which goes into effect January 1, 2020. That new law makes it impossible for us to continue with our current California team site structure because it restricts contractors from producing more than 35 written content 'submissions'*per year."

Tags
grass