Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2024, 10:28   #16

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'
Re: U.S Citizen Buying Australian Registered Boat in Langkawi

Be aware that you must use the official USCG Documented Vessel Bill of Sale and that it must be notarized by a US notary, or you will have a cloud on the title. I suggest you contact the US doc. office to get the correct info and required forms.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Deputy-for-Operations-Policy-and-Capabilities-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/[/url]
Old 19-01-2024, 14:38   #17

Boat: Looking For AMEL SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
Be aware that you must use the official USCG Documented Vessel Bill of Sale and that it must be notarized by a US notary, or you will have a cloud on the title. I suggest you contact the US doc. office to get the correct info and required forms.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Deputy-for-Operations-Policy-and-Capabilities-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/[/url]
Thanks for the information!
Old 19-01-2024, 21:09   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

The easy route is Langkawi registration. It is inexpensive and easy to maintain. My former boat is now registered in Langkawi. You will need the cancel off the Australian registration. I had to provide a similar form to the new owner of my vessel when I took it off the US system.

If you are on Reebok now, consider moving the vessel closer to Jabatan Laut offices by the big Eagle. You may need to do a few trips back and forth to the ferry building.
Old 19-01-2024, 23:28   #19

Boat: S&S 40

You need to be an Australian citizen in order to transfer the Aussie yacht registration to your name.
Old 19-01-2024, 23:50   #20

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
AFAIK, you have to an Australian Citizen to hold Australian registration (but I might be wrong).

Correct..
Old 20-01-2024, 18:13   #21

Boat: Looking For AMEL SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The easy route is Langkawi registration. It is inexpensive and easy to maintain. My former boat is now registered in Langkawi. You will need the cancel off the Australian registration. I had to provide a similar form to the new owner of my vessel when I took it off the US system.

If you are on Reebok now, consider moving the vessel closer to Jabatan Laut offices by the big Eagle. You may need to do a few trips back and forth to the ferry building.
Would having it registered in Langkawi, and owned by U.S. citizens, have any effect, positive or negative, on getting liability insurance? I read somewhere that insurance rates are higher for U.S. registered boats due to so many people being "sue happy".
Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, boat, buying