Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 07:45   #1

Boat: IP 370
State Taxes in USA

I will be cruising for over 183 days next year. Will I still owe state taxes, in my case NJ, if I can establish that I have been out of state for the requisite amount of time. Or, do I have to buy another property in a non-tax state, i.e. Florida, to avoid my NJ state taxes? It seems that I should not have to purchase something, just to avoid state taxes. Does anyone have any experience with this type of scenario? Thanks much.
Journeys End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 07:49   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: State Taxes in USA

I moved to Las Vegas for a period of time to set up residency (0% income tax rate) before moving out of the country. I rented so didn't have to purchase anything. I'm not sure the minimum time required, I stayed there a year but the residency wasn't the sole reason I was there so didn't care about a minimum. I'm sure you could do the same in Florida (or South Dakota, another vagabond friendly state).
Old 21-03-2017, 07:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You can establish Fl as your state of residence, it has no State Tax on income. I assume though that you will not be working in NJ, cause I think if you are paid in a State, you owe that State tax, but I am no tax expert.
Do you have a CPA?

I am establishing Fl as my Residency State through a mail forwarding service
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 07:56   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can establish Fl as your state of residence, it has no State Tax on income. I assume though that you will not be working in NJ, cause I think if you are paid in a State, you owe that State tax, but I am no tax expert.
Do you have a CPA?

Which mail forwarding service are you using. Do you like them?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

May I suggest that asking a sailing forum for tax advice is similar to asking for medical advice? "I'm not a doctor, but I think that mole in your photo is similar to mine, which was benign." Perhaps someone has similar experience (and is being honest), and gives accurate advice, but likely not. If you are trying to save several thousands of dollars in state income tax, spend $500 with a local CPA or attorney to get accurate, professional advice on your situation. If I was sued by the state revenue office for tax fraud, I would want a better defense than, "John_Trusty on the internet said I was good to not pay taxes!" BTW: I think that a "mail drop" to establish residency would be viewed as a tax fraud - think about it.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:19   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
BTW: I think that a "mail drop" to establish residency would be viewed as a tax fraud - think about it.
Your a cruiser living on a boat out in the ocean, with no land based assets.
Do you have a better way to get your mail?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:31   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Your a cruiser living on a boat out in the ocean, with no land based assets.
Do you have a better way to get your mail?

Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Do you have a CPA?

I was told you can no longer use a. Mail forwarding service to establish residence in a state. You must have a physical residence address, but it can be a relative or somebody you know that will let you use your address.
We're working on this ourselves.
Anybody know anybody that will let us use their address!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:42   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you live OR wok in an income tax state you will need to file and pay state income tax. If you do not live in the state but work there you can exempt money earned when out of state but residents have no such option. Tax writers are getting smarter every year and avoidance keeps getting tougher.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:46   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
May I suggest that asking a sailing forum for tax advice is similar to asking for medical advice? "I'm not a doctor, but I think that mole in your photo is similar to mine, which was benign." Perhaps someone has similar experience (and is being honest), and gives accurate advice, but likely not. If you are trying to save several thousands of dollars in state income tax, spend $500 with a local CPA or attorney to get accurate, professional advice on your situation. If I was sued by the state revenue office for tax fraud, I would want a better defense than, "John_Trusty on the internet said I was good to not pay taxes!" BTW: I think that a "mail drop" to establish residency would be viewed as a tax fraud - think about it.
Kinda of funny, don' take tax advice from someone on the internet and by the way you are committing fraud...

You may still have to file a NJ state return even if you are considered a non-resident. If you receive income from New Jersey that exceeds a certain amount. From the New Jersey website. NJ Division of Taxation - Income Tax - Nonresidents

Nonresidents who receive income from New Jersey sources and who have total income from all sources (both inside and outside New Jersey) that exceeds the filing threshold amount for their filing status must file a New Jersey nonresident income tax return. The filing threshold amount is $20,000 for those who file as married/CU couple filing joint return, head of household, or qualifying widow(er)/surviving CU partner. The threshold is $10,000 for those filing married/CU partner filing separately or single. You are a nonresident for tax purposes if:
You did not maintain a "permanent" home in New Jersey; and
You did maintain a "permanent" home outside of New Jersey; and
You did not spend more than 30 days in New Jersey.
Also, you are a nonresident if:
New Jersey was not your domicile, and you spent 183 days or less here; or
New Jersey was not your domicile, and you spent more than 183 days here, but you did not maintain a "permanent" home here.
In some cases, a nonresident may be required to file both part-year resident and nonresident returns. If you were a resident of New Jersey for part of the tax year and moved out of the State but continued to receive income from a New Jersey source, or if you moved into the State during the tax year but received income from a New Jersey source prior to moving to New Jersey, you must file both part-year resident and part-year nonresident returns if your gross income from all sources for the entire year exceeds the filing threshold amount for your filing status.
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:22   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

There is a firm in South Dakota that I know a lot of RVers and expats living in Mexico use. I just went to their website and the one night stay at their place sets residence (for driver's license and registration) and according to their FAQ the federal government requires you to stay there one night every 5 years to keep your license. This is about more than tax avoidance, but also ease of compliance with things like car registration, mail and driver's license.

If you do work in a state that has income tax you're going to get dinged. Luckily I'm close enough to the end of my career to just not go there.
Old 21-03-2017, 09:29   #12

No duh!! I was just asking what others are experiencing!!
Old 21-03-2017, 09:34   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

When we moved to Nevis in the Caribbean, we used St Brendan's Isle, a mail forwarding service in Green Cove Springs, Florida. Besides forwarding mail they also provide the service of applying for resident status in Florida. It's inexpensive, easy and perfectly legal, and allows you to vote in federal and Florida elections by absentee ballot, and to obtain a Florida driver license. The Clerk of the Court in Clay County, FL, is completely aware of this and will not call you for jury duty if you have a SBI personal mailbox address.

You don't have to physically reside in Florida, nor own real estate to become a Florida resident. The only restriction is that you cannot reside in another state for more than half the year. Florida has no personal income tax and no death tax, so it's a great state to be a resident of if you actually live outside the US.
Old 21-03-2017, 09:36   #14

Thanks
Old 21-03-2017, 09:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
When we moved to Nevis in the Caribbean, we used St Brendan's Isle, a mail forwarding service in Green Cove Springs, Florida. Besides forwarding mail they also provide the service of applying for resident status in Florida. It's inexpensive, easy and perfectly legal, and allows you to vote in federal and Florida elections by absentee ballot, and to obtain a Florida driver license. The Clerk of the Court in Clay County, FL, is completely aware of this and will not call you for jury duty if you have a SBI personal mailbox address.

You don't have to physically reside in Florida, nor own real estate to become a Florida resident. The only restriction is that you cannot reside in another state for more than half the year. Florida has no personal income tax and no death tax, so it's a great state to be a resident of if you actually live outside the US.

I just talked to SBI last week. They told me I had to have a residence address (relative, friend, etc.) to get residence and a Florida drivers license. Any body live in Florida?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes