Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 15:04   #46

Re: Question on Boat Brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
This.

As to the broker, my vote is for very, very shady. So give with some details. Who are we talking about? This is someone that everyone here should know to avoid. His attempt to frame it as the same selling price, but with a "survey allowance" is simply a way to try to cheat the seller.
I am happy to discuss details when this is all said and done, but it is the never ending boat sale!

The boat sold this week, but three days later, the new owner reports he can't find a piece of rather expensive electronic equipment. It was possibly stolen in the last couple weeks. The problem is that I have no idea when and I already cancelled the insurance on the day of closing. Shouldn't the broker have done an inventory walkthrough on the day of closing? Would this not be standard practice? How am I supposed to know if who took the missing equipment and when it was taken? Maybe the broker wanted revenge on me? Maybe the new owner removed it and now claims it wasn't there? Who is responsible for the inventory three days after closing?

Ugh.
boatymcboatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 15:16   #47

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatymcboatface View Post
I am happy to discuss details when this is all said and done, but it is the never ending boat sale!

The boat sold this week, but three days later, the new owner reports he can't find a piece of rather expensive electronic equipment. It was possibly stolen in the last couple weeks. The problem is that I have no idea when and I already cancelled the insurance on the day of closing. Shouldn't the broker have done an inventory walkthrough on the day of closing? Would this not be standard practice? How am I supposed to know if who took the missing equipment and when it was taken? Maybe the broker wanted revenge on me? Maybe the new owner removed it and now claims it wasn't there? Who is responsible for the inventory three days after closing?
Indeed, it seems to be. The timing may be vital. To protect yourself, report the potential theft claim to your insurer. Presumably your policy would cover events that occurred while the policy was in force. If not cancelled until the sale was done, it is someone else's problem. Maybe the buyer, maybe the broker, but not yours, and I would think that the carrier would require proof that the item went missing while your policy was in force. Stay out of it after you report the matter as you understand the facts (not the opinions).
Old 29-05-2016, 16:11   #48

No, it is not standard practice for the seller's broker to walk through the boat.

If the buyer wants it done he needs to do it himself or have his agent do it.

Three days after the fact is the buyers problem although there will be lots of opinions to blame the broker because, hey, it's the internet.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat broker