Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 12:15   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Personally I am in favour of the lighter production boats over the old heavy displacement cruisers. Beneteau, Jenneau, Hanse, Bavaria, Catalina. The Beneteau First series is a very highly regarded cruising boat even though its primarily a racing design ( at least in the EU) and there appear to be quite a number of Bene 393's out in the blue stuff. You should be able to pick up a vintage (early to mid 80's) one well within your budget.
I might add that there are a couple of Gin Fizz sloops in the US for sale at very good prices- in the high 40's. The ketches fetch quite a bit more, but you might find one for around 65-70. Disclaimer- i am owned by one ( not for sale )
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 15:05   #17

Boat: Catalina 250 WB - Vida Nova
Very interesting thread with good answers. I imagine that at such a low budget the plan to live on the hook most of the time? How feasible is that over a longer period of time and would you just go crazy staying on the boat all the time? I'm guessing there are ways to organize oneself, but how? How much money are Caribbean docks?
Old 01-03-2009, 21:25   #18

Boat: looking
Mail or delivery service

I have often wondered if there would be Fed Ex or UPS or USPS opportunities in Canada or SE Alaska?
wlanphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 00:25   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha Elkman...The list of sea worthy 38-42 is almost endless. Try Advanced search for new and used boats and yachts. - YachtWorld.com and fill in the criteria. See what you like and start another thread in Monohulls. By the way, I liked your comment about Thai Women. Been there a bunch of times.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21   #20

We're on the hook most of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida Nova View Post
Very interesting thread with good answers. I imagine that at such a low budget the plan to live on the hook most of the time? How feasible is that over a longer period of time and would you just go crazy staying on the boat all the time? I'm guessing there are ways to organize oneself, but how? How much money are Caribbean docks?
We're in the US, so your mileage may vary...

Especially with ugly weather, there is the inevitable cabin fever. Otherwise we try to locate ourselves near someplace we can land the dinghy. Even if you have to pay for the dinghy dock you may not go every day and I need the exercise and proximity to provisions.

We just paid for 10 days of a mooring fee so we could visit family inland and I wish I had just moved the boat and dropped double anchors in a quiet spot and saved the $160 dollars.
Old 23-08-2010, 13:02   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanphier View Post
I have often wondered if there would be Fed Ex or UPS or USPS opportunities in Canada or SE Alaska?
Why? Do you think these are backwaters?

Living in the most northern large city in North America (Edmonton), I can get a FedEx to any part in the U.S. tomorrow, as long as I ship by 5:00 pm. UPS tries to compete, but FedEx seems to be better.

Or are you thinking of driving for them? In Canada, you would have to emigrate, as you probably would not qualify for a temporary foreign worker as a short-haul driver.

Sorry if I have taken your comments wrong... I guess we are just a bit sensitive up here at times
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:35   #22

Boat: Cabo Rico
I think that's an old thread avb3
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:44   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I think that's an old thread avb3
Darn... once again I didn't look at the date of the original post.. ooops.

Sometimes it is worthwhile reviving old threads, not sure if that is the case this time, or at least not with the input I had.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 19:41   #24

Boat: columbia 28,Kokopelli
a friend used to sell American cigarettes in the Bahamas,,,,,for several years,,,but do not get caught,,,not sure why...
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 20:36   #25

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I wonder what happened to this guy? Did he and his wife move aboard? His resume seems varied including business owner, elk farmer, Commercial pilot and commercial diver. Between that and the massage therapist/pole dance teacher, this couple seems like they could survive anywhere.