Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 07:12   #16

Re: Florida marine or contract attorney rec's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
Wow, I didn't know that about the arbitrator...thanks

It's a smoking deal on a project boat, can't believe the antics I seem to be up against.
"A smoking deal and a project boat" in one sentence is an oxymoron and usually means your $$ will go up in smoke. The only time a project boat and a deal should be in one sentence is as in "how much $$ are you getting paid to take the boat off somebody else's hands?"
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:37   #17

Well said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To the OP: do a search here on project boat and find out why, if you don't already know.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:55   #18

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

thanks guys...I'm aware of the risks...
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:41   #19

Boat: American Boat Works 43

From the little you have described, it sounds to me like you need an attorney who specializes in Contract law. Maritime attorneys are somewhat rare, and this sounds like a sales contract dispute.

I have had the misfortune to be involved in several legal disputes here in Florida, and can give you recommendations for attorneys in West Palm Beach and in Tampa-St. Petersburg.

In West Palm Beach, the law firm of Frese Hanson is outstanding. Gary Frese and Patrick Anderson are superb attorneys and great people. Melbourne FL Business Law Attorneys | Commercial Law, Estate Planning

Also in West Palm Beach, Jerry Aron is considered one of the most knowledgeable real estate contract attorneys in the state, recommended to me by an attorney who is a former president of the Florida Bar. His contact info is here:
Top Rated West Palm Beach, FL Real Estate Attorney | Jerry Aron | Super Lawyers

In Tampa-St. Petersburg, the law firm of Carlton, Fields, Jordan, Burt is an expensive firm, but in my opinion Steve Dupre is among the best contract litigators in the state of Florida. https://www.carltonfields.com/tampa/
Steve won a difficult case for my father in 2012, and it was astonishing to observe as he wiped the floor with the opposing attorney. There is also a Carlton Fields office in Miami.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Miz Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 10:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
Wow, I didn't know that about the arbitrator...thanks

It's a smoking deal on a project boat, can't believe the antics I seem to be up against.
Those who are using Arbitration clauses are just copying the big corporations, and car companies, who know arbitration can be very "friendly" to them, and not so friendly to the person who was, for lack of a better word, screwed.

If you read your new car warranty, cable bill, cell contract, 3,987 change on your bank's contract, etc., they all call for arbitration. See here and here for only a few of the many articles on this subject.

Of course, the U,S. Chamber of Commerce is against any limitations that would limit arbitration clauses.

Always remember, caveat emptor
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 20:48   #21

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the replies...I'm hoping these brokers are just less than professional and somewhat inept...and I will continue to hope for the best as I near closing...

But I did want to give a shout out to David Hipschman,
Punta Rassa, Florida

He is a broker in the Fort Myers area and has taken the time to listen to what I was experiencing (more than once) and advise on how to close, and has been a great support and source of knowledge.

I wish the brokers I am dealing with had a just fraction of Davids professionalism!

Thanks David

windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contract, florida, marine